NINETY EIGHT REGENCY

What Name Do You Not Want To See Bastardized?

32 posts in this topic

What Name Do You Not Want To See Bastardized?

The 2011 Ford Explorer is the most off-road-capable Ford Taurus ever, but it's not an SUV. As automakers attempt to recapture their faded glory, what car or truck name do you not want to see bastardized?

We know Ford Flex sales are flagging. What's to stop Ford — an automaker willing to make a crossover out of an Explorer and still call it an SUV — from doing the same thing with the Bronco name? Could the next Flex be called the Bronco? It sounds crazy, but think back a few years. What would your reaction had been if someone told you that the Explorer would be based on a Taurus.

Let's put a stop to this insanity. Which legendary name would you not stand to see soiled?

link:

http://jalopnik.com/5596484/what-name-do-you-not-want-to-see-bastardized

I know! I know! The motor is now turned 90 degrees! That automatically means teh sucks!

Correct answer. :)

As far as the thread topic question, I'd like to see names like Mustang, Camaro, Corvette, Charger, Challenger not be sullied by being reduced to being used on FWD generics. They need to stay RWD w/ V8 available. Too many other classic names have gone down this path to mediocrity before (like Impala, Grand Prix, Monte Carlo, etc).

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar

mustang84    12

This Matt Hardigree cat is another two-bit blogger brimming with ignorance.

Let's do a little timewarp back to 1991 and see what they were saying about the Explorer back then...

What's the Explorer's secret? It's a proven formula as old as...well, Charles Dickens: practicality, comfort, and perfonnance. Ford didn't design the Explorer to appeal to the traditional 4x4 buyer. It's intended as a roomy, comfortable family-mover with lots of versatility.

http://www.motortrend.com/classic/roadtests/9108_1991_ford_explorer_test/index.html

Funny, that sounds a lot like Ford's intent with the 2011 model.

Edited by mustang84

As far as the thread topic question, I'd like to see names like Mustang, Camaro, Corvette, Charger, Challenger not be sullied by being reduced to being used on FWD generics. They need to stay RWD w/ V8 available. Too many other classic names have gone down this path to mediocrity before (like Impala, Grand Prix, Monte Carlo, etc).

The Malibu and Nova are also part of that "classic names gone down this path to mediocrity" ... with the Nova being the start of it all in the mid-1980s.

*sighs*

And ... unfortunately ... the Charger and the Challenger have already been applied to FWD cars, iirc.

All but one of the names that would be on the "do not bastardize" list for me ... have already been done, in some form or another. The only one that hasn't:

Caprice Classic

Cort | 36.m.IL | 5 Monte Carlos.1 Caprice Classic | pig valve.pacemaker * NoreastrTrekRT=Aug2010 *

MCs.CC | models.HO.legos.CHD.RadioShows | RoadTrips.us66 = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort

"What you said when you left just left me cold and out of breath" ... Chris Daughtry ... 'Over You'

The Malibu and Nova are also part of that "classic names gone down this path to mediocrity" ... with the Nova being the start of it all in the mid-1980s.

*sighs*

And ... unfortunately ... the Charger and the Challenger have already been applied to FWD cars, iirc.

Not the Challenger (the Mitsu Galant based Challenger from '78-83 was RWD, IIRC), but the Charger was on the Omni coupe in the 80s at one point. Forgot about that turd.

Don't forget the "Rampage".

Yeah, that was FWD only, though..don't think that name was ever used on a RWD model.

Also, the Duster...at one time, the Plymouth version of the FWD Charger was badged as Duster (formerly Turismo).

Guys, I think it's really important that GM does right by the venerable Corsica and Celebrity names.

*grins devilishly*

Best not get me started ... since the FWD impala heritage traces back to the Celebrity....

Not the Challenger (the Mitsu Galant based Challenger from '78-83 was RWD, IIRC), but the Charger was on the Omni coupe in the 80s at one point. Forgot about that turd.

Also, the Duster...at one time, the Plymouth version of the FWD Charger was badged as Duster (formerly Turismo).

Ahhhhhhhhhhrg....my sincerest apologies. Somehow, I was thinking Duster and wrote Challenger.....sorry!!!!

*chuckles*

Hey ... but at least the Caprice Classic name hasn't been slapped on FWD since I went on my road trip! I still have ONE car NOT connected with FWD in any way!!!! lol

Cort | 36.m.IL | 5 Monte Carlos.1 Caprice Classic | pig valve.pacemaker * Chicagoland Meets, 2011?

MCs.CC | models.HO.legos.CHD.RadioShows | RoadTrips.us66 = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort

"One more sad story's one more than I can stand" ... Anne Murray ... 'A Little Good News'

Croc    268

*grins devilishly*

Best not get me started ... since the FWD impala heritage traces back to the Celebrity....

Were the Ws that closely-related to the As? I know the As were pretty close to the Xs, but I thought the Ws weren't a direct descendant of the As as the Ws had one of the longest, most ridiculously-jinxed development cycles in GM history...

Oh, and I think GM needs to make sure not to ruin the carefully-cultivated brand value of the Skyhawk, either. That one's a real treasure.

Were the Ws that closely-related to the As? I know the As were pretty close to the Xs, but I thought the Ws weren't a direct descendant of the As as the Ws had one of the longest, most ridiculously-jinxed development cycles in GM history...

Oh, and I think GM needs to make sure not to ruin the carefully-cultivated brand value of the Skyhawk, either. That one's a real treasure.

No idea if the Ws were related to the As, but they had the same kind of dirty bits--transverse pushrod V6, solid beam rear axle, etc. I wonder if the Ws were instead related to the slightly larger FWD C/H bodies. GM had a whole alphabet soup of FWD mediocrity going on through the 80s---these plus the small J-bodies and slightly larger N- and L- bodies...I'm sure there was a lot of commonality amongst the smaller generics, and among the larger ones.

Drew Dowdell    5,159

They weren't. Knightfan is alluding to the lineage of Celebrity being replaced by Lumina being replaced by Impala. Though I disagree with him on this as I've always felt it was the Celebrity replaced by Corsica replaced by Malibu.

The A-bodies shared some engines and transmissions with the W-bodies, but that's about it. Though it's not hard to share an engine with a W-body, they used 16 different engines over the years.

Not all W-bodies had solid beam rear axles. Some had independent suspensions with the transverse fiberglass spring similar to the Corvette setup.

They weren't. Knightfan is alluding to the lineage of Celebrity being replaced by Lumina being replaced by Impala. Though I disagree with him on this as I've always felt it was the Celebrity replaced by Corsica replaced by Malibu.

Another way of looking at it is the Citation replaced the RWD X-body Nova, and the Corsica replaced the Citation. Then the FWD Malibu replaced the Corsica. The Celebrity replaced the RWD A-body Malibu, then the Lumina replaced the Celebrity (and RWD Monte Carlo) then the Impala replaced the Lumina.

The Chevy ranges kind of look like this, from late '70s to present for example..

Vega/Monza->Cavalier->Cobalt

Nova->Citation->Corsica->Malibu

Malibu->Celebrity->Lumina->Impala

Caprice

with each generation getting bigger, and subcompacts growing to compacts, compacts growing to midsize, and midsize growing to full size w/ the '00+ Impala.

GM had a lot of overlapping, similarly sized FWD models throughout the '80s...

Dictator. It would a shame if such a prestigious name were sullied:

LoL..did that name ever have a positive connotation? I can see 'Ambassador', 'President', or 'Monarch', but not 'Dictator' or 'Emperor'..

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.