Sign in to follow this  
Variance

Can Tundra overcome Domestic loyalty?

I seriously doubt that GM, Ford or Dodge will loose many customers to the Tundra. I live in San Antonio and the majority of truck owerner I have talked to would never consider a Toyota truck.

I think the sales will come from Honda and Nissan as they have not managed to make any serious trucks despite their best attempts. The Titan (while truly full size) has been a failure for Nissan and the Ridgeline is a joke.

Appears it was just a confusion between the Tundra and T100.

Wasn't the Tundra just a renamed T100 after the embarrassing launch of the T100?

I seriously doubt that GM, Ford or Dodge will loose many customers to the Tundra.  I live in San Antonio and the majority of truck owerner I have talked to would never consider a Toyota truck.

I think the sales will come from Honda and Nissan as they have not managed to make any serious trucks despite their best attempts.  The Titan (while truly full size) has been a failure for Nissan and the Ridgeline is a joke.

I think you'd be surprised. I think they will lose more customers than you think.

Granted they may not flock-BUT there will be a movement...

People like my uncle who are tired of issues with his Silverado...

My Aunt lives in Fort Worth, and both they and a few neighbors have been thinking about it. (tundra)..you just haven't heard they PR blitz yet...

I highly doubt sales will come from those trucks.

Granted they may not be great, but they still offer something different that is not

Big three.

Keep in mind the BIG 3 have nothing to gain, and everything to lose.

And that noise you hear in the background is everyone else chipping away...

They don't HAVE to own the market, just keep TAKING AWAY.... :(

I guess that "Most dependable, longest lasting truck on the road" doesn't count for much in these journalists/analysts world of formulated facts.

I guess you haven't driven my uncle' s Silverado then.

Or my neighbors... :(:angry:

People like this will make SURE Toyota has their way in the truck market an that the loyalists fade faster than a Toyota engine running on 3 month old Quaker State oil. .

:blink::unsure: What's wrong with quaker state motor oil? Comfused here.... :banghead:

or you could be an idiot, or a moron? maybe both!

He's probably not an idiot but you sound like one.

My father, a mechanical engineer, retired from GM Powertrain a few years ago. He told me that in the late 80's and throughout the 90's, many of Toyota's engines were based on GM designs (they bought the blueprints and manufaturing specs for the Chev 2.8l v6 to start designs on their 3.0l v6) and Toyota even purchased blocks directly from GM foundaries and added their own OHC heads.

I seriously doubt that GM, Ford or Dodge will loose many customers to the Tundra.  I live in San Antonio and the majority of truck owerner I have talked to would never consider a Toyota truck.

I think the sales will come from Honda and Nissan as they have not managed to make any serious trucks despite their best attempts.  The Titan (while truly full size) has been a failure for Nissan and the Ridgeline is a joke.

You've asked current truck owners if they'd buy a BRAND of truck without them actually experiencing the vehicle. I would bet that a number of those people you spoke with WILL consider a Toyota truck even though they said they'd "never" do it. You watch, when the locally-built truck comes off the line and it fits the needs (or desires) of the local market, you might be surprised at how many of those adamantly against Toyota will actually buy one.

As for Nissan's "failure," I don't see it. Sales have been substantial (better than I expected) and the truck is a true competitor to the old-guard full-sized trucks.

Honda's "joke" is hardly that. While it's not a full-sized truck and not a traditional pickup as many people expected, it's selling. It's carving a new niche for Honda and possibly a niche that all of the other automakers had been looking for. It's NOT a full-sized pickup...and once people realize this, the vehicle itself fits into another market; one where people aren't towing extended horse trailers or hauling tons of gravel or sheets of drywall. There are hundreds of thousands of weekend warrior who fit into a Ridgeline much better than the oversized (for them) and fuel hungry F-Series, Silverado, and Ram.

Wasn't the Tundra just a renamed T100 after the embarrassing launch of the T100?

No. The Tundra was completely redesigned from the T100. The T100 was built by Hino in Japan and was much smaller than the Tundra.

The T100, in my opinion, was Toyota's way to crack the market, which they did. It got the Toyota name out there in the full-sized market without over investing (no new engine, no new plant) and it sold fairly well. It laid the groundwork for the second generation full-sized pickup which included an all-new engine, larger body and frame, and new plant. It looks like, in retrospect, the T100 was a success since the Tundra continues to grow in sales year after year. And there are dozens of people posting on this site who are anticipating (and the bigger GM/Ford/DCX fans are FEARING) the arrival of the second-generation Tundra.

If the next Tundra weren't a potential success, would so many people be talking about it on a GM fan site?

So far everyone that I have talked to said they will stick with there current F-150's, Silverados and Rams. The Toyota is as usual too ugly! Lately they have not been able to style anything ot save there lives!

Oh come now, that wasn't called for. It's a valid question seeing as how they did partner for some stuff and GM does have a 5.7L V8 in their full sizers. No more personal attacks pleeze, k? thx.

What 5.7? Not since around '99 in a truck.

Not gonna happen.

I've depended on trucks to make my living since '85. Not even if Hell freezes over will I buy a Japanese truck - period.

GM builds a great truck,always has, and each generation improves on the last. Toyota and Nissan are groping in the dark on this one and will not succeed .

This is an intensely brand-loyal category and they aren't part of the club. It takes a major advance in design for me to even consider a Ford or Dodge truck( yes I've considered and test driven both) let alone newbies like Toyota and Nissan. The Honda thing isn't even a truck and stone ugly to boot so that disqaulifies it from this debate.

Nope....totally different trucks.....

Or you could say the 1st gen Tundra was a redesigned and reengineered T-100.

T100 may indeed be a completely different truck than the following tundra, but both were toyota's respective full-size truck entries and 'set the bit' for a great many truck shoppers. The new tundra has some heavy luggage to tote up Sales Hill.

Nope....totally different trucks.....

Or you could say the 1st gen Tundra was a redesigned and reengineered T-100.

I think Ford will hurt more than GM from this new Tundra. GM still has the power advantage with its 6.0L and 6.2L V8 engine. Ford badly needs a new motor and 6 speed auto or F-150 sales would be heading for a free fall. The 4.6 and 5.4L Triton are two of lamest V8 out there.

I think Ford will hurt more than GM from this new Tundra. GM still has the power advantage with its 6.0L and 6.2L V8 engine. Ford badly needs a new motor and 6 speed auto or F-150 sales would be heading for a free fall. The 4.6 and 5.4L Triton are two of lamest V8 out there.

I disagree.

The Ford 5.4L OHC V8 is a favorite of mine. It's smooth, responsive, and even torquey.

The problem is that it's hitched to F-150s and Expeditions that are too heavy (especially compared to their GM competition.)

The Triton engines themselves are VERY nice.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

About us

CheersandGears.com - Founded 2001

We ♥ Cars

Get in touch

Follow us

Recent tweets

facebook