Sign in to follow this  
NINETY EIGHT REGENCY

2012 DODGE DURANGO INTERIOR EXPOSED

2012 DODGE DURANGO

By Mark Kleis

Leftlane spies have had solid luck with the upcoming Dodge SUV/CUV, which is still unnamed and could either arrive wearing the Durango or Magnum badge. This time around, our spies managed to score a series of unobstructed interior shots.

This brand-new interior shots indicate extensive use of higher quality materials, including what certainly appears to be an entirely soft-to-the-touch dashboard. Styling overall seems to be improved, although the general style seems more simplistic than most on the market. A navigation touch-screen is clearly visible, as well as an array of fairly standard fare dials and a turn-style knob for the HVAC controls.

In addition to the newly acquired interior shots, and thanks to a Tweet by AsianMartin, an automotive journalist and self-proclaimed car culture hero and part-time hardcore gangsta rapper, we also have a somewhat blurry – yet very revealing photo showing a completely uncovered Dodge Durango/Magnum.

Code-named “WD,” the Durango will be sharing a unibody chassis with the 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee and the 2011 Mercedes ML-Class. Not all things will be equal as we expect the Benz to sport higher-end running gear than its Chrysler brothers. Fiat may also launch a vehicle on this chassis sometime in 2012-2013.

One thing you won’t see on this chassis is a Chrysler Aspen variant.

While the Durango nameplate has been in use since 1998, that may change with this newest iteration. During Chrysler’s marathon presentation of their 5-year plan in November, the word “Durango” was never spoken. In the PowerPoint presentation, it was referred to simply as “Full-size CUV.” Rumors have suggested the next-gen Durango could be renamed the Magnum – a name last used on a low-slung sports wagon.

Whatever the name, the new CUV/SUV will follow Dodge’s current design language, highlighted by the brand’s signature cross-hair grille.

Powertrains for the Dodge should be identical to the 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee, with the next-gen, Pentastar 280 horsepower 3.6-liter V6 and the 390 hp 5.7-liter Hemi V8 on tap. A Fiat-sourced diesel motor, as well as a dual clutch transmission, may eventually find its way into the Dodge. Other features we expect to see are optional 3rd row seating, power lift gate, adaptive cruise control and parking sensors.

Based on a leaked production list we expect this new Dodge CUV to start production on November 8, 2010 at the Jefferson North Assembly Plant in Detroit, Michigan.

link:

http://www.leftlanenews.com/dodge-durango.html

Spy Shots: 2012 Dodge Magnum interior revealed

by Jonathon Ramsey (RSS feed) on Jul 28th 2010 at 9:59AM

2012 Dodge Magnum spy shots – Click above for high-res image gallery

We may seen the unadulterated exterior of the The Dodge Magnum/Durango, but so far the interior has eluded spy shooters the world over. No more. For those still debating if or how closely the Dodge SUV copies the 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee, the interiors should make for less of an argument.

Materials and details have been updated over previous Dodge interiors, and done so in a way that mimics the standard set by the Jeep. Not that there's anything wrong with that... We do wonder if it will get a little more color to break up all that blackness, though. We will likely find out in person in Los Angeles later this year, or Detroit in January 2011. Scope it out on your own in the gallery of high-res photos below.

link:

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/07/28/spy-shots-2012-dodge-magnum-interior-revealed/

these new chrysler interiors, including the new GC and spy shots of the new 300 seem to be unimaginative. even if the quality is improved.

sat in a new caliber recently. i did think the interior redo was nicely done, considering what they had to work with. but it really just brought it to mid pack. at least it was salable now.

I am sure for this 'Dodge' though it will be entirely ok. I just don't think it will dazzle in the showroom.

Dodge Journey = worst auto interior going, that needs to be fixed ASAP.

The Journey is getting a new interior and will be the first to get Chrysler 8 inch screen infotainment system.

So what if the interior designs aren't daring? It use means they won't look nearly as dated 5 years down the road. VW's been going with the simple, high quality interior theme for years (until the Jetta) and that's served them well.

2011-hyundai-sonata-interior.jpg

Yeah this is imaginative.

i've test driven the sonata, all the flowing curves and material and color changes make for a fairly dynamic cabin feel in comparison to a lot of its competition.

it may not seem imaginative because it seems random, but the fact they made it interesting with pedestrian materials is what makes it work well. PLus it ties in with the exterior of the car as well.

The other part you don't acquire from pictures only is the panorama of the inside looking out, the low roof, etc. It feels swoopy, like a hardtop coupe.

the interior of the sonata as a whole is more well done that 3/4 of its price / size competition and that is accomplished even with average materials. they did so primary by staying with the design theme through the whole car, inside and out, and by not dropping the ball on any specific detail.

In this regard the Malibu has similar assets. But the Malibu has even cheaper materials and lacks some detail. the hyundai interior has a consistent level of detail throughout.

The Journey is getting a new interior and will be the first to get Chrysler 8 inch screen infotainment system.

So what if the interior designs aren't daring? It use means they won't look nearly as dated 5 years down the road. VW's been going with the simple, high quality interior theme for years (until the Jetta) and that's served them well.

of course they won't look as dated 5 years down the road. because they would have looked dated even back in 1993.

'don't stop, believin.......'

Edited by regfootball

One thing I notice looking at so many current designs is how similar they are across many automakers, esp. the center stack and vent layout...

One thing I notice looking at so many current designs is how similar they are across many automakers, esp. the center stack and vent layout...

I thought it was just me. It is not just the center stack. There are so many cues that look similar in so many cars out there today.

Interior designs are like trends. Cars from every era will have common design themes.

This may be true, but people want something different. Even the exteriors are similar to some degree...

Again, exteriors also follow themes from era to era. You wouldn't mistake a car from the late 60's/early 70's from a car from the 50's or the 80's.

Again, exteriors also follow themes from era to era. You wouldn't mistake a car from the late 60's/early 70's from a car from the 50's or the 80's.

This may be true, but there still needs to be some individuality and distinction. The thing that will set cars a part in the future is styling. I have no no problems with Chryslers new a future efforts. They working hard and coming up.

Well there are always a few that break the mold, and often end up being the template other automakers will follow. First gen LH cars for example, the Bangle Butt.

Even now we have some that stand out, the Camaro being one of them, the Charger and 300C (when they were new) being another, etc.

As for Chryslers newer interiors, they certainly aren't ground breaking in terms of design, but I've noticed they've been working hard to cut down the amount of seams, for a clean, minimalist look. Notice how the dash cap is all one piece. Nothing wrong with that sort of interior design methodology, so long as its built of quality materials.

Well there are always a few that break the mold, and often end up being the template other automakers will follow. First gen LH cars for example, the Bangle Butt.

Even now we have some that stand out, the Camaro being one of them, the Charger and 300C (when they were new) being another, etc.

As for Chryslers newer interiors, they certainly aren't ground breaking in terms of design, but I've noticed they've been working hard to cut down the amount of seams, for a clean, minimalist look. Notice how the dash cap is all one piece. Nothing wrong with that sort of interior design methodology, so long as its built of quality materials.

Exactly. In totally agreement. It is interesting the materials they use now at all the companies compared to the 1980's and 1990's and early 21st century. People will try to copy that one piece console that Ford uses in the Taurus.

I think the next big thing as far as interiors go is the buttonless console center stack. We've seen that element in concepts for a while now, but the Explorer will be the first production car to have it. I know the Volt does too but they don't look nearly as futuristic as the Explorer's which are constantly lit on a flush, gloss black interface.

67-2011-ford-explorer.jpg

That is a lot of attention to detail. The Edge and MKX have it I think. I could be wrong. I can say one thing you know Ford interiors when you see them. It is a trademark now. We still need to see more innovation from others.

Ford, more than anyone has stepped up its interior game. The Explorer looks to be an interior leader in the segment, and I think at this rate Ford will be the benchmark for other carmakers to follow when it comes to interiors.

I think the next big thing as far as interiors go is the buttonless console center stack. We've seen that element in concepts for a while now, but the Explorer will be the first production car to have it. I know the Volt does too but they don't look nearly as futuristic as the Explorer's which are constantly lit on a flush, gloss black interface.

67-2011-ford-explorer.jpg

Now this I like...

Bottom line, their interiors are getting much better...