Where are the other countries now?

Guest Josh

This has got to be the worst natural disaster in history, forget the Tsunami's and where are these other countries? Where are the celebrities? This makes me sick. Watching this on TV, yet no country, nor any celebrity coming forward with a donation, or pledge to raise money. I'm about ready to start the C&G Donation working with the American Red Cross. It's the least I can do watching this terrible disaster on TV.

The UN is self-serving and it can't even serve itself decently. Corrupt, too. Most large corporations are indeed donating - The Big Three, Nissan, Honda, Wal-Mart, GE, Boeing, etc. Many are helping out by deferring payments etc. to assist people getting back on their feet. One thing that does make me sick is that we continue to fund the building of infrastructure in the ungrateful quagmire of Iraq. What a wise investment.

The UN is self-serving and it can't even serve itself decently. Corrupt, too.

Most large corporations are indeed donating - The Big Three, Nissan, Honda, Wal-Mart, GE, Boeing, etc. Many are helping out by deferring payments etc. to assist people getting back on their feet.

One thing that does make me sick is that we continue to fund the building of infrastructure in the ungrateful quagmire of Iraq. What a wise investment.

[post="7337"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

I meant the countries of the UN. Not the organization itself.

This has got to be the worst natural disaster in history, forget the Tsunami's and where are these other countries? Where are the celebrities? This makes me sick. Watching this on TV, yet no country, nor any celebrity coming forward with a donation, or pledge to raise money.

I'm about ready to start the C&G Donation working with the American Red Cross.

It's the least I can do watching this terrible disaster on TV.

[post="7333"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Worse than the tsunami in December? That's absolutely ridiculous. Over 200,000 people died in the Sumatran earthquake and ensuing tsunami and those who survived didn't get anywhere near the kind of relief that victims of Katrina will.

The US has a well organized response to deal with this. FEMA, National Guard, Red Cross, they're all out in force. There was a week's worth of warning for this disaster and now the US, the most properous country in the world, is dealing with it. We haven't even ASKED for any foreign aid and you're bitching about how we're getting none?

Worse than the tsunami in December?  That's absolutely ridiculous.  Over 200,000 people died in the Sumatran earthquake and ensuing tsunami and those who survived didn't get anywhere near the kind of relief that victims of Katrina will.

The US has a well organized response to deal with this.  FEMA, National Guard, Red Cross, they're all out in force.  There was a week's worth of warning for this disaster and now the US, the most properous country in the world, is dealing with it.  We haven't even ASKED for any foreign aid and you're bitching about how we're getting none?

[post="7383"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Exactly what I was going to say. No way this one is bigger than the tsunami.

A search of Google News shows that several countries have been offering help. Quite a few large corporations are as well- including the one I work for: offering matching money up to a Million dollars and paying the admin costs (so that all of the money goes to aid) As for aid from stars- give them a bit more than 48 hours to get something together...

http://www.alertnet.org/thenews/newsdesk/N31102720.htm

The United Nations stands ready to help with any kind of disaster expertise that might be required ... in full recognition that the United States is the country in the world that possesses the greatest civilian and military search and rescue and recovery assets themselves," Egeland told Reuters in an interview.

He said U.S. officials had thanked the U.N. for its offer, but had not requested any assistance so far.

State Department spokesman Sean McCormack said earlier on Wednesday 10 to 12 foreign governments have offered general assistance to the United States to deal with the hurricane aftermath but no decision had been made about how these offers might be used.

There you go.

I dont understand putting a cap on donations. If you're going to offer to match employee donations, then match employee donations, down to the last cent, doesn't matter if its $250k or $2.5mil. Not like it doesn't go down as a charitable donation on the good 'ol IRS forms.

Hollywood activism really is entertainment. Celebrities have been begging us to give money and support to people around the world for years, mainly Africa. Yet when citizens of their #1 market (read: where they make most of their money from) are in need of help, how many come running to make tv commercials and form organizations and go into areas to try to help out? HAHA. Real entertainment. Now I know at least one reason why I haven't seen a movie in months. Edited by sciguy_0504

Back to the subject at hand, whenever we help another country out, it is all over the news, which aids that "We're the best country in the world" mentality. Whenever we have a huge disaster, they may show some world leaders making offers of help, but you never hear about any actual aid we receive, I think partly because that would bruise our national ego, and partly because we can handle things so well on out own that we dont really need international help for local affairs. I do agree that it would be nice if the same people who try to guilt me into giving $0.39/day to starving children would maybe cough up some dough to help the people in the Gulf region who really need the help. I'm sure this sounds heartless and insensitive, but I wonder how Mardi Gras will go next year. If they get the area cleaned up and at least somewhat back to normal, I think it can be good for the region, returning a sense of normalcy.

Hopefully this draws more attention to global warming and its dangers...

[post="7405"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

It' most likely wont, people in power and that control money will just play this off as a major disaster. You know and I know that the increased temperature in the water is what causes storms to be so severe and frequent. If it happened in New Orleans this week, it may happen again next month, maybe next year, what is the ultimate solution for the south?
Even in the North Atlantic things are getting a bit scarier, with water temperatures rising the hurricans are maintaining their strength well north, only two years ago Halifax which is 800miles north of New York suffered a deadly blow with hurricane Juan. Brought the entire city to a standstill, knocked down buildings and trees. These storms are not supposed to reach past carolina, not supposed to be near as strong and nowhere near as frequent.. We have created this problem, now we have to deal with it in the short term and try to remedy it in the future.

But for now, what are the people in Lousiana going to do in the comming days? I was watching tv last night, there are hundreds of people stranded on the interstate, many nearing dehydration, even people are jumping from the bridges commiting suicide. These things are not supposed to be happening right now, sure the storm killed some, pummled houses and ruined lives, but why are people being left on the freeway while police are chasing looters, quite honestly who cares about the looters? everything is pretty much lost right now anyway, save the ony thing that matters, life!

people always say that global warming is because of cars and polution but its a proven fact that a small volcano will release more ozone poluting gasses into the air than if every car ever made were all still running and had been running around the clock since they were made

people always say that global warming is because of cars and polution but its a proven fact that a small volcano will release more ozone poluting gasses into the air than if every car ever made were all still running and  had been running around the clock since they were made

[post="7764"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Then why has there been so much warming since industrialization ? And even more compounded in the last 20 years ? Mount St Helen's ?

I have never worked in such heat as we had here this summer in NY, I felt like I was down in Tennesee visiting my sister only without the vacation part.

Doesnt matter, we cant stop it now or even slow it. The ice cap is melting, nothing more to know, once the ice is gone from the cooler the beer gets warm. So lets stop with all these environmental regulations already and drink lots of beer, before it gets warm.

:rolleyes:

New Orleans ? Thats what they get for cutting a deal with the devil. Not funny I know. For every reason to live in the south there is one not to. Mud slides in CA Dust storms, drought in mid west Hurricans in the south taxes in the North Thats it, Im immigrating illegally to Mexico, going to get my be-atch and go down there and have me 15 children so I can get me some of that unicef. I had people that were hurt last summer by the hurricans. I was glad Gulf Breeze and Pensicola were spared this time but who could have imagined this would happen to New Orleans. Sounds perfectly feasible to me to have a city below sea level. I better shut up before they come and take me away. I hear an old Zeppelin song comming on.

Just to point out since I've heard about it... There is to be a Live Aid type concert I believe held in NY, Nashville, Atlanta, and Los Angeles mainly focusing on New Orleans type music, though it will feature a variety and I think it will be on MTV. There's another running on the NBC networks with other stars. And this is only just a little bit after the tragedy. In addition I should throw in, since I've been hearing a lot of anti-military comments about how they weren't prepared and aren't doing anything... The U.S.S. Bataan is on station and providing assistance, 2nd Fleet is departing Norfolk with supplies (this includes the U.S.S. Iwo Jima, Tortuga, and Shreeveport in addition to numerous search and rescue vessels), USNS Comfort is on it's way, and the crew of the U.S.S. John C. Stennis has been put on alert here in Bremerton. The Stennis is ramping up (and closing down it's refit) to be the carrier on site during these next few months of clean up. In addition I'm sure there are upwards of 50 other smaller vessels loading up and preparing to assist those down in the GoM area. I guess I should also mention the ramp up time of the hurricane. Remember it takes at least a week to call in a ship's crew, prepare the ship, and load it full of supplies (it can be done quicker, but without proper supplies for a situation like this). (Hurricane Katrina lost most of it's energy over Florida and the related islands in the Gulf of Mexico, most people were not expecting the storm to build greatly post Florida) Tropical Depression Katrina upgraded to Tropical Storm at 11:00AM EDT Wednesday August 24. Tropical Storm Katrina upgraded to Hurricane at 5:00AM EDT Friday August 26. Category 4 Hurricane status reached 1 AM CDT Sunday August 28. Category 5 Hurricane status reached 7 AM CDT Sunday August 28. And depending on how you judge a hurricane hitting a location, it began affecting it the evening of the 28th through the 29th. That really isn't much warning for not knowing where it was going or what strength it was going to be. Much less Lake Pontchartrain only added to the destruction, something that didn't occur during previous hurricanes though, granted, it was predicted.

Then why has there been so much warming since industrialization ? And even more compounded in the last 20 years ? Mount St Helen's ?

I have never worked in such heat as we had here this summer in NY, I felt like I was down in Tennesee visiting my sister only without the vacation part.

Doesnt matter, we cant stop it now or even slow it. The ice cap is melting, nothing more to know, once the ice is gone from the cooler the beer gets warm. So lets stop with all these environmental regulations already and drink lots of beer, before it gets warm.

[post="7918"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

its scientificly proven... the earth goes in cycles, there are cycles that last for thousands of years and hundreds of mini cycles within those cycles. this global warming crap is just a cycle and in a decade or mayb a few decades or so we will be hearing of record lows. sooner or later we will fall into another ice age its gonna happen theres no avoiding it but we have a long way to go before that will come around lol

I guess I didn't realize it got so strong so fast, Alpha, but regardless the government said they were going to be ready if something like this happened, and they needed to be there a long time ago. They should have been organizing when they knew it was going to be bad, not after they found out just how bad it was.

its scientificly proven... the earth goes in cycles, there are cycles that last for thousands of years and hundreds of mini cycles within those cycles. this global warming crap is just a cycle and in a decade or mayb a few decades or so we will be hearing of record lows. sooner or later we will fall into another ice age its gonna happen theres no avoiding it but we have a long way to go before that will come around lol

[post="7948"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

It's also scientifically proven that CO2 is a greenhouse gas and that mankind has caused CO2 levels in the atmosphere to rise drastically since we started burning large amounts of fossil fuels in the Industrial Revolution. CO2 levels are rising far faster than they ever have naturally.

Remember, there's only a 7 degree average temperature difference between current world temperatures and temps in the Ice Ages. If world temperature swings 7 degrees the other we could see some crazy weather.

[post="7918"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Global warming doesn't really work like that. Average world temp has only risen about a degree in the last century so your hot summers are more likely the result of annual or regional temperature fluxes. Also, it is definately not too late to stop. It's going to take a hell of a lot more warming before the whole of Antarctica melts.

It also dosent help that we are pulling all the oil of of the earth. . . and when you think about it . . . oil is a form of coolant to the earth. Industrialiaztion in china and the rest of the word which only care about production and dont really care to spend a cent on increasing the efficiency of the plants and where there is not restriction on emissions doesnt help much either.

This thread is sooo wrong. You should get informed. Other nations and celebrities have offered aid.

So far, foreign countries have pledged money and support. The EU is also going to dip into its strategic oil reserve. Even Hugo Chavez ( who Pat Robertson said should be shot) has offered oil.

E! article about some charity events

There will be a charity concert at 8pm Friday on the major networks.
On Saturday MTV will host another charity fundraiser.

Even the MDA telethon will donate part of its earnings.

When America suffers, Americans come to the aid of Americans.

There are now about 40 counrtries who are help, Sweden is sending water purification equipment, Italy is sending generators and pumps, Russia is sending cargo airplanes. . . I agree everyone was slow to react but something is being done.

There are now about 40 counrtries who are help, Sweden is sending water purification equipment, Italy is sending generators and pumps, Russia is sending cargo airplanes. . .  I agree everyone was slow to react but something is being done.

[post="8487"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

I really can't even agree with Josh that everyone was slow to react. Remember, the water level was still rising into the week.

What stuns me in contrast is how disorganized and ill-prepared our own government is. Bush flew asked Air Force One to overfly the area earlier this week. Overfly it? You're the President! Finally, you tell the inept local leadership in Louisiana to back off and start sending in federal aid and troop en masse six days later. By this time, convoys of supplies are inbound while busload of refugees are outbound. Great coordination, guys.

Today President Bush admits the results are not good. The White House is dodging any issues regarding planning for this massacre; most within are admitting to the press help should have been in planning 24 hours before it did. Things are getting amplified by the minute, and the only we can do is sit back and watch. Watch people slowly die because of no medicine, food, or water. Watch as people suffer the brute and unthinkable actions of the desperate few who cannot begin to comprehend civility in these times. Watch as people plead and cry for help. It's madness. Newt Gingirich today said if this is how we react to this kind of disaster, how much hope do we have for reacting to a biological or nuclear attack? Yesterday, Bush responded to criticism by saying Democrats were playing politics and this was not the time to play politics. Today, Republicans are calling Bush out and asking why the plan for defense was there, when we all knew this was going to be an incredible massacare. New Orleans had avoided hurricanes for 100+ years; the positioning of it below sea level was almost certain to doom it before the hurricane happened. We didn't expect the levies to breach; we should have planned for the worst.

In addition I should throw in, since I've been hearing a lot of anti-military comments about how they weren't prepared and aren't doing anything...  The U.S.S. Bataan is on station and providing assistance, 2nd Fleet is departing Norfolk with supplies (this includes the U.S.S. Iwo Jima, Tortuga, and Shreeveport in addition to numerous search and rescue vessels), USNS Comfort is on it's way, and the crew of the U.S.S. John C. Stennis has been put on alert here in Bremerton.  The Stennis is ramping up (and closing down it's refit) to be the carrier on site during these next few months of clean up.  In addition I'm sure there are upwards of 50 other smaller vessels loading up and preparing to assist those down in the GoM area.

I guess I should also mention the ramp up time of the hurricane.  Remember it takes at least a week to call in a ship's crew, prepare the ship, and load it full of supplies (it can be done quicker, but without proper supplies for a situation like this).

[post="7938"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

I was wondering if they were going to mobilize the USNS Comfort. I don't think people realize that the ships can't just leave, they do need supplies and crews and that takes time. Fast response in a war is high speed bombers, the rest of the war comes with the ships, since we were not going to bomb New Orleans, it takes time to get the ships there.

It seems as if they are going to need a full array of armed military aircraft to keep the psychos shooting the choppers under control.

I have never heard such a ration of crap in my life, from people who couldn't find there way out of a paper bag! You global warmers bleating that man has caused all this....... you all have a paranoia symptom. First off, TREES give off more CO2 than all the cars in the world! Stop planting trees or any other greenbelt! Go back and stay awake in Science 101. If the temps went up one degree, and a polar ice cap started to melt as the "Chicken Littles" have claimed, the shore lines around the world would be under more than the 20 feet of water that New Orleans saw. Just because you don't hear about who is giving or doing whatever .... doesn't mean it isn't being done! You have been brainwashed too long by propaganda mass media. There is an old adage...... don't confuse me with the facts, my mind is made up! That attitude seems to be running rampant here!

I have never heard such a ration of crap in my life, from people who couldn't find there way out of a paper bag!
You global warmers bleating that man has caused all this....... you all have a
paranoia symptom.
First off, TREES give off more CO2 than all the cars in the world! Stop planting trees or any other greenbelt!
Go back and stay awake in Science 101.
If the temps went up one degree, and a polar ice cap started to melt as the
"Chicken Littles" have claimed, the shore lines around the world would be under
more than the 20 feet of water that New Orleans saw.

Just because you don't hear about who is giving or doing whatever .... doesn't mean it isn't being done! You have been brainwashed too long by propaganda
mass media.
There is an old adage...... don't confuse me with the facts, my mind is made up!

That attitude seems to be running rampant here!

[post="8589"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

\

OMG, what a numb skull, go back to grade school and start over before they stole your brain and took away your ability to think. Go stick your head inside one of them 4" fart cannons, Ill go stick mine under a decaying tree, I think Ill survive, will you ? I hope not !