Sign in to follow this  
NewsFeeder

2011 Chevrolet Volt requires... premium gas?

6 posts in this topic

NewsFeeder    9

Filed under: Hybrid, Sedan, Chevrolet, GM, Electric

volt-premium.jpg

As we're sure you've noticed by now, General Motors has been making lots of waves over the past few days with the pricing announcement (finally!) of its 2011 Chevrolet Volt. And, as you're surely aware, GM's plug-in hybrid is capable of traveling at least 40 miles per charge without using a single drop of gasoline. But what happens when the time comes to pump some good ol' crude into the tank? You'll be using premium.

Yes, you read that right. Premium gasoline only in GM's mostly gasoline-free automobile. It seems a bit odd that The General would force its customers into using higher-priced gasoline if there wasn't a good reason for it, but it certainly wouldn't seem that the engine is highly stressed - 80 horsepower from 1.4 liters isn't exactly bleeding edge.

There is a possibility, however, that the car's engineers were able to wrestle a bit more efficiency from its constant-load engine/generator setup by using higher octane fuel. In any case, the automaker has not offered up any specific explanations on why premium is required or, for that matter, what kind of fuel mileage the Volt will attain when the gasoline-powered engine is in operation.

We feel compelled to point out that it probably doesn't matter much that the Volt requires premium fuel considering how little gasoline the average user is likely to go through any given month. But naturally, your mileage will vary.

Gallery: 2011 Chevy Volt

x11ch_vt004_thumbnail.jpgx11ch_vt002_thumbnail.jpgx11ch_vt007_thumbnail.jpgx11ch_vt005_thumbnail.jpgx11ch_vt003_thumbnail.jpg

[source: The Truth About Cars]

2011 Chevrolet Volt requires... premium gas? originally appeared on Autoblog on Wed, 28 Jul 2010 15:27:00 EST. Please see our terms for use of feeds.

Permalink | Email this | Comments

di
di

autoblog?i=8QzycX5uME4:rNW2H-Ju-oI:wF9xT autoblog?i=8QzycX5uME4:rNW2H-Ju-oI:V_sGL
8QzycX5uME4

View the full article

Chevy Volt: 40 Miles Without A Drop Of… Premium Gasoline?

By Edward Niedermeyer on July 27, 2010

The Chevrolet Volt began life as a marketing concept: “what if,” GM’s finest minds asked themselves, “we could sell a car that could go 40 miles without burning any gasoline?” That goal was achievable (although how easily and regularly remains to be seen), but it came at a cost: if you check out GM’s just-released standard equipment sheet (click on “standard equipment”), you’ll find that the Volt’s gasoline range extender requires premium fuel. What’s strange about this is that the Volt’s 1.4 liter range extender is hardly an overstressed buzz-bomb, making only 80 hp at the crank and 74 hp at the generator. Why then does it need premium? Considering that the Volt would have struggled to pay off its premium over the Toyota Prius anyway, the decision to require premium fuel makes no sense at all.

LINK:

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/chevy-volt-40-miles-without-a-drop-of-premium-gasoline/

hyperv6    774

This is more a marketing issue than real issue.

Too many think $$$$ when you say premium and the truth is we may only be speaking of a $1 more for a fill up with this car since the tank is so small and it will use much less gas.

GM will need to address this with a good reason and point out how little the cost of the better fuel really is.

People who that are buying this car are not doing so to save a dollar.

I wonder if they want the premium in the tank to keep the Octain up over longer periods of time. GM has yet to tell us how they will address old gas in the tank of those who keep a full charge just driving to work and back.

FAPTurbo    1,093

I wonder if they want the premium in the tank to keep the Octain up over longer periods of time. GM has yet to tell us how they will address old gas in the tank of those who keep a full charge just driving to work and back.

I was under the impression that premium fuel had a quantity of fuel-stabilizer so the gasoline would be able to sit unused for a year or so. But after some Googling, I'm not so certain.

I'd like a conclusive answer, because that's the reason why I buy premium for my power equipment. :P

hyperv6    774

I think you guys are onto the reason. There is at least some indication that cheap gas goes bad faster.

Even if the premium dregrades it would still be higher than the regular.

I know racing and aviation fuels both degrade faster since they do not put additives in them to keep the octain up.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this