Sign in to follow this  
NINETY EIGHT REGENCY

Limbaugh rips Chevy Volt but cites income from GM

34 posts in this topic

Limbaugh rips Chevy Volt but cites income from GM

By Justin Hyde

Free Press Washington Staff

WASHINGTON – Radio host Rush Limbaugh tore into General Motors today over the Chevrolet Volt, while revealing he had taken advertising money from GM last year during its rescue by the Obama administration.

In his popular show, Limbaugh criticized the Volt and the $41,000 price GM revealed on Tuesday, questioning why the U.S. government needed to add a $7,500 tax credit.

“Obama and the government are admitting nobody wants this,” Limbaugh said, repeatedly referring to GM as “Obama Motors.”

But Limbaugh also seemed somewhat confused about how the Volt worked, noting once that it had a gas engine and an electric motor, but suggesting its 40-mile electric-only range was its only power source.

“That 40-mile range has to include you getting home, and staying home three to four hours to charge the thing,” Limbaugh said.

After 40 miles, the Volt’s gasoline engine kicks in, giving it about 300 additional miles of range.

Limbaugh also said the Volt was the most expensive Chevrolet model outside the Corvette. But in fact the Suburban and Tahoe Hybrid models also cost more.

And the $7,500 tax credit will be available on the Nissan Leaf electric vehicle and other models that have large enough batteries to meet federal guidelines.

Limbaugh admitted that last year following the Obama administration’s rescues, he had taken advertising money from GM. His show’s archives include his promotions for a GM incentive to cover vehicle payments for people who lost their jobs after buying new vehicles.

But Limbaugh said he ended the arrangement even though GM wanted to continue.

"I turned it down because I could not honestly recommend--I knew this was coming--I’m not going to recommend people go buy an electric car,” Limbaugh said. “I wish them luck, don’t misunderstand here,” he added. “We turned down big money."

GM spokesman Greg Martin said Limbaugh was a long-standing critic. "He's entitled to his opinion and we appreciate his wishes for future success," he said.

link:

http://www.freep.com/article/20100728/BUSINESS0101/100728042/1210/BUSINESS01/Limbaugh-rips-Chevy-Volt-but-cites-income-from-GM

balthazar    2,017

His show stopped vehicle advertising right around when GM filed for bankruptcy. It has not resumed. The vehicle payments / job loss ad I don't recall (I listen maybe once every 2 weeks).

Prior to the BK, he had talked positively WRT GM, esp when referring to his long history with GM product (IIRC- I believe he said his first car (first GM??) was a Tempest, tho I never heard the year mentioned).

I did hear the Volt segment today. The 'confusion' seems to be an interpretation on his comment that 'why not use the 340-mile range as the primary power source and keep the 40-mile range as the backup. Sounds backwards'.

Limbaugh is not overly concerned about fuel economy- I thought I heard his most recent contract was for $400M. ;)

Did Rush Limbaugh err on GM's electric Volt and 'Obama Motors?'

05:56 AM

Rush Limbaugh blasted General Motors' new Chevrolet Volt extended-range electric car on his show yesterday, but it sounds like he had trouble getting his facts straight. On his radio show, Limbaugh singled out the Volt for its $41,000 price tag. Here's the transcript on Limbaugh's web site under the headline, "Obama Motors Shills Chevy Volt..."

Conservative talk show host Rush Limbaugh talks with guests in the East Room of the White House in Washington, Tuesday, Jan. 13, 2009, prior to a Presidential Medal of Freedom ceremony for Colombian President Alvaro Uribe, former British Prime Minister Tony Blair and former Australian Prime Minister John Howard.

He questioned why the federal government needs to add a a tax credit of up to $7,500 on the Volt. "Obama and the government are admitting nobody wants this," Limbaugh said, referring to the GM electric car.

But Justin Hyde, writing in the DetroitFree Press, added that Limbaugh didn't seem to know what he was talking about when it came to how the Volt works and its pricing compared to other GM models:

Limbaugh...seemed somewhat confused about how the Volt worked, noting once that it had a gas engine and an electric motor, but suggesting its 40-mile electric-only range was its only power source. "That 40-mile range has to include you getting home, and staying home three to four hours to charge the thing," Limbaugh said.

After 40 miles, the Volt's gasoline engine kicks in, giving it about 300 additional miles of range. Limbaugh also said the Volt was the most expensive Chevrolet model outside the Corvette. But in fact the Suburban and Tahoe Hybrid models also cost more. And the $7,500 tax credit will be available on the Nissan Leaf electric vehicle and other models that have large enough batteries to meet federal guidelines.

He said that even though he once took ad money from GM, he turned them down for more because he didn't want to be put in the position of recommending electric cars.

I'm not going to recommend people go buy an electric car," Limbaugh said. "I wish them luck, don't misunderstand here," he added. "We turned down big money." Limbaugh said it's fine if people want to go out and buy one, that he was only raising an issue about the idea of a federal subsidy for a product that may not be all that practical and accepted in the market without it.

The Free Press tracked down GM spokesman Greg Martin who said Limbaugh is "entitled to his opinion and we appreciate his wishes for future success."

link:

http://content.usatoday.com/communities/driveon/post/2010/07/did-rush-limbaugh-err-on-gms-electric-volt-from-obama-motors/1

z28luvr01    170

idiot

• Upvote 1

Report: Rush Limbaugh tears into Chevy Volt, fails to understand how it works

by Sam Abuelsamid (RSS feed) on Jul 29th 2010 at 11:30AM

It has long been apparent that the more successful a talk radio host is, the less relevant the facts become. Case in point is this week's apparent tirade by Rush Limbaugh against the 2011 Chevrolet Volt. No doubt the Volt's sticker price came in higher than most of us had hoped at $41,000, and Limbaugh may have had a slight point there. However, suggesting that the federal $7,500 tax credit for plug-in vehicles like the Volt and the Nissan Leaf was there as an admission that no one wants these vehicles strikes us as disingenuous at best, especially when you recall the tax write-offs that were available to people buying Hummers and other large SUVs just a few years ago. As far as we know, Limbaugh also made no mention of the more palatable $350-per-month lease deal available for the Volt.

Limbaugh also ripped into the Volt's 40 mile range, implying that the 40 miles of range from the battery is all that is available. He was either unaware of or chose to ignore the fact that in charge-sustaining mode, the car's onboard engine-generator can keep the battery going for another 300 miles on a tank of gas. If you don't have time to sit around while the battery charges, you can just take a couple of minutes to fill the tank and be on your way again, just as you would in a normal car.

Perhaps we should just give Limbaugh the benefit of the doubt and assume his cochlear implant was on the fritz.

link:

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/07/29/report-rush-limbaugh-tears-into-chevy-volt-fails-to-understand/

Carguy    20

Like Rush I have mixed emotions on GM being tied with the Obama administration through the I believe needed initial Bush bailout. Under Obama it has gone to far and I can see why Rush no longer does adds for them. His lack of understanding about the Volt and how it works is like most people sadly partly due to GM it self. The info on the Volt and how it works from them has been confusing to say the least. I do believe the idea behind the Volt is superior to the Hybrid one and even at $41K before the credit I also hope the best for them.

• Downvote 4

Rush is a big fat idiot, that's been an established fact for years. Just a right wing demagogue....a lot of noise and fury signifying nothing.

• Upvote 3

siegen    20

Like Rush I have mixed emotions on GM being tied with the Obama administration through the I believe needed initial Bush bailout. Under Obama it has gone to far and I can see why Rush no longer does adds for them. His lack of understanding about the Volt and how it works is like most people sadly partly due to GM it self. The info on the Volt and how it works from them has been confusing to say the least. I do believe the idea behind the Volt is superior to the Hybrid one and even at $41K before the credit I also hope the best for them.

So you agree that Rush ripped into the Volt for political reasons and not because of the Volt itself?

I do not think the idea behind the Volt is confusing. People who have no interest in it probably won't know how it works, but if you're going to discuss the vehicle on your radio show you may want to spend the 1 or 2 minutes it takes to understand how it works before blasting it.

• Upvote 4

balthazar    2,017

It has long been apparent that the more successful a talk radio host is, the less relevant the facts become.

As far as we know, Limbaugh also made no mention of the more palatable $350-per-month lease deal available for the Volt.

Pot, meet kettle.

hyperv6    774

The bottom line is Rush is using the Volt to attack the Obama admin. It would be no different if this was a Ford or Chrysler.

The average person has little idea what the Volt is and how it works. Only car people like us know much and even then GM has told us very little that we know for sure.

GM has repeated the 40 miles electric for years in the general public but has done little to explain this unless you look for the info.

Rush like most other political media types that hype things to stir the crowd. The MSNBC people do just the same. It gets people to watch and talk. It is no different than the Shock Jock mentality. Lets face it would we be talking about him now if he had not made the statment. You have to bait the hook to reel in the fish. Just look how many web sites have taken the bait. These people are in it to make money and they make money only if they can get people to listen. So many fall for the hype on both sides it is funny.

I do hope who ever gets elected will work to get the govement out of the different things they are in now they should not be in. Things like part ownership of companies and being drirected by unions that pay to get them elected. It is a dangeous mix.

GXT    11

The bottom line is Rush is using the Volt to attack the Obama admin. It would be no different if this was a Ford or Chrysler.

I think this is exactly right. He just wants to attack Obama, and why should the Volt be the one thing that he can't just make up and say any stupid little thing?

But talking about the real problems with the Volt doesn't win you any friends either. ;)

Carguy    20

So you agree that Rush ripped into the Volt for political reasons and not because of the Volt itself?

I do not think the idea behind the Volt is confusing. People who have no interest in it probably won't know how it works, but if you're going to discuss the vehicle on your radio show you may want to spend the 1 or 2 minutes it takes to understand how it works before blasting it.

Yes I agree with you he should have been more informed.

Drew Dowdell    5,169

Why can't GM say something like "We've been building technology based on this principle since 1939 in Locomotive... we've just shrunk it down and added a battery."

• Upvote 1

Carguy    20

Why can't GM say something like "We've been building technology based on this principle since 1939 in Locomotive... we've just shrunk it down and added a battery."

Great point!!!

hyperv6    774

The guy like many on the news and radio anymore make their living with contraversy. Don't get sucked in.

Most radio host will jump on a topic just to stir things up and get people talking.

I think he has done a good job with this group.

Howard Stern has made a living at this for year. Just he used more strippers.

Satty    338

Rush does have a huge following of sheeple. Not surprisingly a few certain C&Gers can be counted among them.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

FAPTurbo    1,096

Why do people even still care what Rush Limbaaaaaawwwwwwww has to say.

Bawwwww_bunny.jpg

• Upvote 1

balthazar    2,017

I like to hear what 'both sides' of the fence have to bray, whereas most people are more than happy to remain oblivious, accepting whatever their lone news source spits out at them.

I guess that's not that dissimilar to toyoyo fans have religious experiences between the pages of Consumer Reports- clutching their 'validation' and hurrying off to denigrate others with different opinions.

Moving forward, in their eyes.

Whatever makes you hard.

• Downvote 3

Drew Dowdell    5,169

I like to hear what 'both sides' of the fence have to bray, whereas most people are more than happy to remain oblivious, accepting whatever their lone news source spits out at them.

I guess that's not that dissimilar to toyoyo fans have religious experiences between the pages of Consumer Reports- clutching their 'validation' and hurrying off to denigrate others with different opinions.

Moving forward, in their eyes.

Whatever makes you hard.

It's not that I don't want to hear both sides of a story. It's that I don't want to have to spend 4 hours fact checking a 1 hour show. Rush is notorious for making $h! up or just winging it when he doesn't know what he's talking about.

• Upvote 3

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this