Sign in to follow this  
NINETY EIGHT REGENCY

Man spends nearly $200,000 to win right to park truck in his own driveway

Man spends nearly $200,000 to win right to park truck in his own driveway [w/video]

by Zach Bowman (RSS feed) on Jul 29th, 2010 at 6:02PM

Beware of the home owner's association. Considered this country's most basic, ruthless unit of government, HOAs are typically organized and manned by retirees with little better to do than tell you what to do with your property – something A.J. Vizzi recently learned the hard way. When Vizzi purchased his home in Odessa, Florida, he was told he would be allowed to park his Ford F-350 Super Duty in his home's driveway, even though the neighborhood's rules forbade keeping vehicles anywhere other than the garage. The truck didn't fit in the home's garage.

The local HOA soon changed its mind, and before long a lawsuit ensued. In 2008, a judge ruled in Vizzi's favor, but the association quickly appealed the decision. In March, a second judge sided with Vizzi, and the courts awarded him $187,000 in legal fees to be paid by the HOA. In total, the association claims that the ordeal has cost over $300,000, including the cash it now has to pay to Vizzi. Take a look after the jump to watch a local news report on the legal battle. Thanks for the tip, Sea Urchin!

LINK:

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/07/29/man-spends-nearly-200-000-to-win-right-to-park-truck-in-his-own/

I'm glad he stood up for himself and his right to park his truck in his driveway.

I hate home owners associations.

They seem to be getting out of hand all over the United States. They forced people out of their houses and in some cases had to give them back.

I will never, ever live somewhere where there is an HOA.

Amen to that!

I absolutely LOVE that those asshats are out 300k, it's such a beautiful thing!

I once wrote a story about that...

Now I have a neighbor who complains that I sometimes park my car on my own lawn.

I cherish my right to tell her to piss-off.

I once wrote a story about that...

Now I have a neighbor who complains that I sometimes park my car on my own lawn.

I cherish my right to tell her to piss-off.

Your right indeed.... So what did you write about?

It was just a little critique of of that lifestyle that I wrote a while back.

It was posted here, but I don't remember how I titled the thread.

It was just a little critique of of that lifestyle that I wrote a while back.

It was posted here, but I don't remember how I titled the thread.

Too bad I missed it. It would have been interesting to read.

I just tried to find it- no luck.

If you really want to read it, I will post it again as a new topic.

It would be an interesting read. I hope you can if you can find it. I see too many people get caught up with the whole house thing and have to deal with that.

I cannot for the life of me fathom the mindset that --no matter how strict or authoritarian a set of governing rules may be-- that the singular exception in 99% of the scenarios of contention would be 'Oh, you want to fly the American Flag? Go ahead!'. How can anyone object to the American Flag while living under it & it's benefits?

The irony is rife that HOAs are a sort of governing 'authority' that finds a flagpole an aesthetic objection..... yet the vast majority of local, state & federal governing authorities have 1 (or more) flagpoles fronting their structures is apparently lost on these jackbooted idiots.

Yet were I to make a public objection, or claim my sense of aesthetics was being offended because my neighbor parked his toyoyo in view of my front door, I would be laughed at as if that were utterly impossible.

The world is often a terrific screwy mess.

Edited by balthazar

Of course, the HOA don't care... they'll just up everybody's fees... including his.

The thing I hate is that many townships are using the HOAs to determine what laws they want to pass. Can't park on my lawn... but I live near the beach, so parking can be a premium sometimes... so I bought 4 pavers and park on them.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

About us

CheersandGears.com - Founded 2001

We  Cars

Get in touch

Follow us

Recent tweets

facebook