NINETY EIGHT REGENCY

Ex-designer: Obama's limo came from GM's parts bin

Ex-designer: Obama's limo came from GM's parts bin

10:29 AM

2009-cadillac-one-president-obamas-limo-1.jpg

You would think the world's most important and photographed car would have had every part design special. But when Draganel "Dan" Magda designed President Barack Obama's limousine as his last assignment before leaving General Motors, he went straight to the automaker's parts bin.

So says AnnArbor.com in an article about Magda, who was assigned to work on the "special project" that turned out to be the Cadillac limo:

Reality dictated the design process, and Magda found himself looking in the Cadillac parts bin for lighting units. No matter what, the limo would have to meet federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards. And besides, the expense of creating special lighting would be prohibitive.

He felt the Cadillac Escalade headlamps would give the limo the right proportions and liked the height of the STS tail lamps.

The limo's front grille was based on Cadillac's Sixteen concept car, and Magda resisted the Secret Service's attempt to put red and blue lights in it. Instead, they went into the fog lamps.

But Magda says the secrecy dictated that while he could design the outside, what went inside was kept strictly under wraps.

link:

http://content.usatoday.com/communities/driveon/post/2010/07/ex--designer-obamas-limo-came-from-gms-parts-bin/1

There are also parts of the DTS on that car too. Those exterior mirrors are from Escalade too.

So far, this is what they appear to have plucked out of the Cadillac parts bin:

-Headlights from the Cadillac Escalade

-Front fascia from the Cadillac Escalade modified to accept a new grille insert

-Hood from the Cadillac Escalade

-Door handles from the Cadillac Escalade

-Mirrors from the Cadillac Escade

-STS Tail lights

And that's all I can see. If I'm not mistaken, I think the frame/chassis on this car is also based around the GMT900 platform. I do know it has a diesel engine, maybe a Duramax.

I fail to see the need to reinvent for something like this that is most certainly function over form. The Escalade light clusters are certainly functional and attractive enough, so why not use them?

edit: definitely over tired when I miss whole words of a sentence.

For a custom built,heavily armored beast it does look quite good. The blind spots must be incredible w/ those thick pillars, though.

I wonder what dashboard it uses? DTS? STS? Escalade? Aveo? :)

By the way, a civilian/commercial limo that looks like this (but w/o the armor and tiny windows) would be nice for Cadillac.

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar

For a custom built,heavily armored beast it does look quite good. The blind spots be incredible w/ those thick pillars, though.

I'm sure it has upgraded reverse parking assist that calls in a drone strike if something is in the way.

I know one of the people that worked on the Bush limo a few years back for GM. He told me each and ever time they do a new car the reqirements make some big jumps. He has a piece of the window glass that had been test shot. It was amazing how thick and how little damage it took.

I am suprised that they did not just do a Escalade limo in the first place. But then someone running or in office would not want to be seen in a SUV.

We also sell a lot of parts to a company that converts the Suburbans for the Secret Service. I do not know the details but I can tell you by the parts list they have some serious HP in some of them.

This is kind of like those old pictures of cars made up from 25 different models and they ask if you can name them all. When I was growing up a local bank used to offer these photos and I would pick out the different cars.

Edited by hyperv6

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

About us

CheersandGears.com - Founded 2001

We  Cars

Get in touch

Follow us

Recent tweets

facebook