Sign in to follow this  
toyoguy

LS460 Safety Features

13 posts in this topic

■ The Lane-Keeping Assist System

This system assists in steering operations to help the driver stay in the lane, thereby reducing the driving burden on the driver.

I really must scoff at anything like this on any vehicle. The ultimate in overconfidence and laziness.

I'm visioning a recall already. If they can't program (note my word "If", so cut the bashing) the system properly, the car will go wooshing into oncoming traffic.

While I think the system is lazy, too, and takes the fun out of driving, it would be useful on long drives but that is about it. Just like the 8-speed auto, it is a bragging point.

I highly doubt the system works on its own, at least yet. The new S-Class has the next-gen smart cruise control system and that is able to bring the car to a complete stop but only for so many seconds. It warns the driver to put their foot on the brake, I believe.

Did some quick conversions on the stats appearing at the bottom of the page, to make them more American-friendly:

- Maximum torque is listed as "Approx. 500 Nm". That works out to roughly 369 pound-feet of torque.

- Fuel consumption of 10.8 litres/100 kilometers is equal to 21.78 miles per gallon... not too bad for a 380 horsepower luxobarge, likely weighing over two tons (weight is one of the few figures not given).

- Top speed of 250 kilometers/hour equals 155 MPH.

- 100 kilometers/hour equals 62 MPH. So, this car will go from 0 to 62 MPH in 5.7 seconds.

- 400 meters is 1/4 mile; hence, the LS will do the quarter mile is 13.8 seconds.

I don't care if you like Lexus (and, by extention, Toyota) or if you hate them... You've got to admit that this is a very impressive car. It gets more astonishingly complex and advanced every time I look at it.

Did some quick conversions on the stats appearing at the bottom of the page, to make them more American-friendly:

- Maximum torque is listed as "Approx. 500 Nm". That works out to roughly 369 pound-feet of torque.

- Fuel consumption of 10.8 litres/100 kilometers is equal to 21.78 miles per gallon... not too bad for a 380 horsepower luxobarge, likely weighing over two tons (weight is one of the few figures not given).

- Top speed of 250 kilometers/hour equals 155 MPH.

- 100 kilometers/hour equals 62 MPH. So, this car will go from 0 to 62 MPH in 5.7 seconds.

- 400 meters is 1/4 mile; hence, the LS will do the quarter mile is 13.8 seconds.

I don't care if you like Lexus (and, by extention, Toyota) or if you hate them... You've got to admit that this is a very impressive car. It gets more astonishingly complex and advanced every time I look at it.

That is pretty impressive. I've been noticing Lexus is really starting to push up their performance levels... The IS350 for example, from what I have heard, is capable of running M3's at the dragstrip. I have read several examples of that, and supposedly they are pretty close races for the most part. It's too bad it didn't handle a little better and come without a slushbox otherwise it would be a real nice car (not to say it isn't already) Then again, I don't care for the styling of it...maybe with some better looking mirrors.. :P

But I'm getting off topic...don't mean to hijack...

If you're out on the market for a car in this class, I doubt you'd care about price.

You really have to be clueless to not realize what a stupid statement that is about any Lexus car.

If you're out on the market for a car in this class, I doubt you'd care about price.

Well, for one, it would be nice to have something to compare it to Mercedes, BMW, and Audi.

But I guess warmed over Toyotas are priceless? :rolleyes:

But I guess warmed over Toyotas are priceless? :rolleyes:

Yea, you keep telling yourself that.

If Lexus competes with BMW, Mercedes, and Audi, and to a further extent Cadillac, then I believe they will have to price them competitively.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this