Geneva: Chevrolet Captiva (production S3X)

From Autoweek:

http://www.autoweek.com/files/specials/200...va/pages/01.htm

The Captiva will be the first Chevrolet model to use GM’s new Korean-built family of common-rail turbodiesel engines jointly developed by GMDAT, GM Powertrain and VM Motori in Italy. At its July launch, the Captiva will be available with a 2.0-liter, 150hp common-rail direct-injection turbodiesel as well as 2.4-liter four-cylinder and 3.2-liter V-6 gasoline engines. The Captiva shares its architecture with the Antara GTC, Opel’s new medium SUV, which launches at the end of the year. The Antara GTC will be offered as a five-seater only while the Captiva will have a seven-seat variant, thanks to a longer body and a third row of seats. Entry-level Captivas will come with front-wheel drive and room for five.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Here's an interior pic that autoweek didn't have:

Posted Image

It looks really good to me, and I like what they did with the spot where NAV would/can go.

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

The Captiva goes on sale in Australia with Holden badges in the second half of 2006.

There's a strong Australian influence due to the involvement of former GM Holden designers Mike Simcoe (Monaro/GTO designer) and Max Wolff. Have a look at the similarity between the Captiva instrument panel and dash layout with the Holden designed interior that the GTO inherited.

The engine in the top of the line model will be a Holden-sourced Alloytec 3.2-litre V6 engine (HFV6) producing 168kW at 6000rpm and 302Nm at 3500rpm.

The Captiva has had extensive testing around Australia and at Holden’s Lang Lang proving ground in Victoria.

The exterior is great and the vast majority of the interior is, too. I disagree with Northstar, though, on the NAV area. It looks too Korean in the sense of, "we don't know what to put here to cover this huge area in non-NAV equipped models."

Guest YellowJacket894

Ever notice how the new European Chevy line looks like something from BMW in some vauge way? The Epica looks like a 5-Series -- espically the headlights -- and the Captiva reminds me of the X5.

Edited by YellowJacket894

I don't believe this is to arrive in the U.S at all. I wish Pontiac would have waited and used this as thier Torrent, it is one beautiful and finely crafted SUV. The Antara is supposed to be released at the end of this year according to this, how much after that until we see the Saturn version is the question...

I don't like it, it reminds me of European cars, and it looks to much like a Kia. I rather have to Equinox to tell you the truth. It looks like they originally meant for it to be longer, but had to put it on a smaller platform so they squished it all together. And the bowtie is too big in the front. I do like the dash board and interior. Otherwise, I'd say its a step backwards for Chevy and the rest of GM North America.

I don't believe this is to arrive in the U.S at all. I wish Pontiac would have waited and used this as thier Torrent, it is one beautiful and finely crafted SUV. The Antara is supposed to be released at the end of this year according to this, how much after that until we see the Saturn version is the question...

Originally this WAS to be our Torrent, but Lutz decided Pontiac needs a refocusing and rebadged the current Torrent to satisfy dealers. I only mentioned Equinox earlier because it's a Euro Chevy and so much better than OUR Chevy.

Okay....fair point.....

Let's change the question to......"Why couldn't/can't our designers and engineers have developed an Equinox this good-looking with this nice of an interior in the FIRST place?"

Bingo. GM really needs to have more world cars. Period.

The exterior is great and the vast majority of the interior is, too.  I disagree with Northstar, though, on the NAV area.  It looks too Korean in the sense of, "we don't know what to put here to cover this huge area in non-NAV equipped models."

well its got the exact same faceplate on the radio that the 07 tahoes have... so the Nav would fit where that cd player area is... not up on the top where that weird compartment is...

• 9 months later...

It really does look very nice, and it's available with a manual transmission!

I have to say, I would take this Korean Theta over any of the North American choices currently available.