Sign in to follow this  
NINETY EIGHT REGENCY

ENDANGERED SPECIES: FORD’S PANTHER PLATFORM

7 posts in this topic

ENDANGERED SPECIES: FORD’S PANTHER PLATFORM [OP-ED]

By Andrew Ganz

If you’ve spent any time in New York recently, you’ve no doubt noticed that the landscape of bright yellow taxi cabs has changed ever-so-slightly. While a Ford Crown Victoria is still the most likely vehicle to respond to your hailing (unless it’s raining – buy an overpriced umbrella and start walking), a cadre of more fuel efficient models have become increasingly popular.

Toyota Camry and Highlander hybrids. Ford Escape hybrids. Nissan Altima hybrids. And even the occasional Volkswagen Jetta TDI.

They’re all vying for your taxi dollar, but that doesn’t mean that New York’s grisly taxi drivers necessarily prefer them to the Crown Vic.

By the end of 2010, the New York Taxi and Limousine Commission will select a different vehicle as its “Taxi of Tomorrow,” a ruling that will forever change New York and its iconic fleets. Ford is set to close its St. Thomas, Ontario, assembly plant by the end of 2011, ending production of the long-lived Crown Victoria and its Panther platform stablemates.

The rise and fall of the Panther

The Panther platform’s story begins more than 30 years ago. Developed initially as a low cost downsizing effort, the Panther is now one of the largest new car platforms made. New car buyers’ tastes have changed dramatically. Once upon a time, the Panther platform underpinned coupes, station wagons and sedans marketed by all three of Ford’s divisions. Remember the Lincoln Continental Town Car Coupe? How about the Mercury Colony Park wagon? One-by-one, Panthers dropped off the chart.

Today, the platform – technically in its third generation but retaining much of its original architecture – underpins a trio of vehicles, two of which serve as division flagships.

Yet Ford doesn’t want you to buy one.

Just a few years ago, consumers across North America could walk into Ford, Lincoln and Mercury dealers and emerge with a shiny new Crown Victoria, Grand Marquis or Town Car of their own, new car smell, pride of ownership and all.

Fast forward to the rapidly-approaching 2011 model year and a U.S. resident can only buy a limited-availability, special order-only Town Car. The Crown Victoria is for fleets and the Mercury brand will be gone entirely. Any non-fleet Panther, even the Town Car, has been a forbidden fruit in Canada for a couple of years.

Ford has done nearly everything possible to prevent the public from taking home a Panther of their own.

Cash cow

Given its relatively basic design and its especially long production cycle, the Panther platform can’t be expensive for Ford to build. The automaker doesn’t detail the exact per-vehicle cost of its products, but odds are that Ford isn’t losing cash on Panthers.

No, the Panther platform’s various permutations are hardly fitting with Ford’s mantra of creating smaller, more efficient and advanced cars. Still, one thing they don’t do is struggle to find buyers because they offer a glimpse into a bygone era of Detroit boulevardiers, with their front bench seats, soft suspensions and awkward, space-robbing proportions. Modern they are not, but that doesn’t stop Ford from selling lots of them every year.

In the United States during the first six months of 2010, Ford moved 18,439 Crown Victorias, 6,491 Town Cars and 15,702 Grand Marquises. Combined, the three Panthers outsold the rest of the Lincoln lineup and they even managed to outperform the Ford Mustang.

Granted, all Crown Victorias went to less profitable fleet buyers, as did most Lincoln and Mercury Panthers. Clearly, however, there is a strong market for these big six-seat sedans somewhere – and that makes us wonder why Ford would choose to cease production in less than 18 months from now.

A solution?

For New York’s cabbies, there is no good replacement for the Crown Victoria.

It’s cheap to run, durable and provides a good combination of room and space – especially compared to smaller sedans and SUVs.

“The car is good the way it is,” cabbie Jana Stroe told USA Today. We don’t want the hybrid. Hybrids have so many problems. We take a lot of customers from the small cars.”

Ford thinks that its Transit Connect vans will make good replacements for Crown Vic taxis. On paper, they look pretty good. They’re roomy and have plenty of storage space and they don’t sip much gas. But despite their commercial positioning, they’re not as inherently rugged or simple and they cut a rather odd profile across the New York cityscape.

These complaints about the Panther’s untimely demise come from all sorts of fleet users – police officers, limousine drivers and even car rental agencies, which continue to see strong demand for the Grand Marquis.

Why Ford refuses to update the Panther platform for at least one more permutation is mind boggling. Add in stability control (a 2012 federal requirement), a six-speed automatic (already mated to the Panther’s 4.6-liter V8 in several other vehicles) and tweak the gearing for a few more mpgs and the Panther can soldier on for at least a few more years.

Cabbies and police officers would appreciate a slightly less thirsty Crown Victoria and real profits would come from a mildly revised Town Car. Ford isn’t getting MSRP for fleet Town Cars, but even a hefty discount off of the $46,700 price it charges consumers is money in the bank.

Certain consumers still love the Grand Marquis. A major Florida Mercury dealer says that Grand Marquises don’t stay long on his lot before finding a home with a member of their traditional buyer base. With distribution centered on Ford and Lincoln showrooms in places like Florida, Arizona and the Midwest, Ford could easily offer the Grand Marquis as its own brand-within-a-brand minus the Mercury badge.

Progress is a great thing, but sometimes automakers need to appreciate the devoted customers they have developed.

link:

http://www.leftlanenews.com/endangered-species-fords-panther-platform-op-ed.html

Intrepidation    848

I used to not care for the Panthers but having had one in the family for a few years now I can easily see why people still like them. They have an endearing quality to them, as well as being easy to maintain, durable, reliable, and decently economical.

ocnblu    776

"awkward, space-robbing proportions..."??? What a horrible statement.

Yes, the Panther cars still have a place in the market. They should put the 5.0 in the Town Car and Crown Vic, along with a 6-speed auto. A quick nip and tuck on the front and rear ends would put them back in the spotlight for their intended audience. And the 2010 Grand Marquis? Still a wonderful road-trip car... pretty much unmatched.

Not everybody wants a Fiesta or a Focus or a Fusion. Panther is the Last Bastion of the Real American Car. :CanadaEmoticon:

• Upvote 1

"awkward, space-robbing proportions..."??? What a horrible statement.

Yes, the Panther cars still have a place in the market. They should put the 5.0 in the Town Car and Crown Vic, along with a 6-speed auto. A quick nip and tuck on the front and rear ends would put them back in the spotlight for their intended audience. And the 2010 Grand Marquis? Still a wonderful road-trip car... pretty much unmatched.

Not everybody wants a Fiesta or a Focus or a Fusion. Panther is the Last Bastion of the Real American Car. :CanadaEmoticon:

I'd rather have a Panther over any non-Mustang Ford product on the market now. I just wish they would have updated them as fas the engines and transmissions as you mention and the options (offer Sync, etc..). Since '07-08 it seems they have been decontented.

Drew Dowdell    5,169

They could even run with the Mustang's V6 and 6-speed for Cabbie, Limo, and most police duty. I doubt the typical Grand Mark buyer would even notice a difference except when they go to fill up.

Intrepidation    848

I wouldn't call the proportions awkward, but yeah they are not space efficient cars compare to say, LH cars. There's way more room front and back for me in my car than the Grand Marquis.

I personally like the Lincoln Town Car. It is the only thing out there equal to what I have in my driveway in terms of the type of luxury, size, room, and features. I like the Grand Marquis before some of the recent updates that cheapened the car. I still like the interior. These two cars are what Ninety Eight and Eighty Eight were in the early 1980's. The thing is.. Ford should not walk away from them. This is the same thing GM did with the B Bodies. They walked away from them in favor of SUV's. They want more fuel efficient cars and CAFE averages that are high. Ford wants one Ford globally. Ford is walking away in favor of small cars. Ford and GM both have walked away from this segment. People are crying for Holdens and Chrysler is the only one who still does rear drive, but they are not the type of rear drive we are discussing here. This is where Oldsmobile could have been used in this segment and GM could have cashed in on this.

I do understand where you guys are coming from. Not everyone wants a compact or a mid sized five passenger car with front wheel drive that uses a 4 cylinder and is fuel efficient. You can make a larger car fuel efficient and have it be the kinds of cars we are discussing here. The whole thing is just sad.

These cars are what true American cars used to be.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this