Sign in to follow this  
NINETY EIGHT REGENCY

2011 Mazda6: Better Fuel Economy, New Details

2011 Mazda6: Better Fuel Economy, New Details

By Bengt Halvorson

Deputy Editor

August 2nd, 2010

2010 Mazda6Enlarge PhotoMazda has released the first official information about the 2011 Mazda6 sedan, and in addition to improved fuel economy the model gets a new look, including new materials inside and new details inside and out.

While engine power hasn't changed for 2011—offerings remain either the 170-horsepower, 2.5-liter four-cylinder engine or the 272-hp V-6—fuel economy has improved dramatically, likely the result of taller gearing across the lineup.

The Mazda6 gains at least 1 mpg across the entire line. Four-cylinder 'i' models now get 21 mpg city, 30 highway (up from 20/29), and 'i' models with the five-speed automatic get 22/31 (21/30 last year). Mazda cautions that the new EPA figures with the four-cylinder and automatic transmission haven't yet been EPA-confirmed.

Though Mazda hasn't yet released pictures of the new Mazda6, the 2011 model will have new headlight and fog light designs, newly available silver and pearl white paint hues and, on Touring Plus and Grand Touring trims, folding side mirrors with integral turn-signal lamps. Inside, the standard cloth upholstery is new, as are stitched vinyl armrests and a new steering-wheel design, and the instrument panel gets more bright trim, likely to match that which was introduced this past year on the 2010 Mazda CX-7.

For 2011, the Mazda6 is offered in four models: Sport, Touring, Touring Plus, and Grand Touring, with the base SV model dropped. In addition, the Bluetooth hands-free interface has now been included with the mid-range Touring model, and Mazda6 Grand Touring models get a 4.3-inch multi-information display with rearview camera system. A rearview camera and larger seven-inch touch screen now come with the nav system.

link:

http://www.thecarconnection.com/marty-blog/1047874_2011-mazda6-better-fuel-economy-new-details

me too. I actually think the Mazda6 is the most polished of all the midsizers. BUT, only a 5 speed auto......sounds like they attempted to fix some of the death inspiring interior.

If I decide to lease something this next year, this car, depending on the deals available, is at the top of a short list with the Subaru Legacy and the Hyundai Sonata. The fuel economy and the interior are the two biggest problems I have with this car......as well as just the 5 speed.

The Mazda6 i test drove had the manual, but no wonder the FE sucked. It was running like 3000 rpm at 70+ mph.

That's unacceptable.

Not sure where the automatic runs at rpm at highway speeds, but really that is the culprit. Why don't they just add a 6 speed tranny and get some more power out of the engine so it can loaf more at higher speed?

Edited by regfootball