GTO is a Go

As long as it's a true 2-door coupe, then rock on! I don't want some damn quad doors unless they're optional. If they make it both ways then I guess it's okay, but if they must have them standard, then I hope they don't call it GTO.

Also, this is the first we've really heard of a GTO, and haven't heard anything about it being worked on even though it's not technically approved, so if it's coming in 2008, what does that mean for the Camaro? Probably that it's coming before 2008.

Quote from camaroz28.com post: "but an all-new model is expected to return at the end of 2008 as a 2009 model".

The key here is the "is expected" expression. There's a lot of work to be done until it gets green lighted: development costs, sales/margin targets, facility where the cars will be built, investments in that plant, payback and rate of return for those investments, moving the business case through internal politics and so on. Although Lutz is optimistic, it's not yet a done deal.

Also, this is the first we've really heard of a GTO, and haven't heard anything about it being worked on even though it's not technically approved, so if it's coming in 2008, what does that mean for the Camaro? Probably that it's coming before 2008.

I thought that, too, when I first read it but was feeling too sick to make a note of it.

Everybody said we'd see the GTO one year after the Camaro. So, that confirms, again, that we'll see the Camaro in fall 2007/spring 2008 as an '08 or '09.

Folks it is time to wake up and realize the American press has no clue to what GM is doing!!!!

GM RWD is being developed in the land down under and is farther along than many here realize.

Even folks that work at GM here do not know what is all going on down under. So when they say programs are not approved and nothing is going on you might want to use some caution as the people connected to these cars are indicating different.

The GTO is in the mix as well as a Camaro and 4 door sedans. Someone in Detroit keeps trying to say different and the press runs with it.

Keep your eyes open for a Impala the will blow minds!!!! It is going to be like the Camaro, A little retro 60's with a lot of 21 century tech and updated styling.

Like noted above GM does not change it's mind day to day. A lot of what we are hearing is stuff that was decided 6 months to a year ago.

Also note that some of the known GM people in the know on the RWD platform read our post here and are not sure who some of the claimed insiders are and what the H&ll they are talking about in some of their post.

Thank God for people like guionM, Lutz and Fbodfather who have been preaching the truth and time has proven them correct the vast majority of the time. Take a look at their post as they don't delete what they put on this site.

Anyway I hope this puts the Firebird coming back to rest finally. The key people at GM had made it clear several times it is not in GM's best interest to do a Firebird in the forseeable future.

Things are in the works and don't beleive everything you read in the press!! Most of us here should know that by now!!! Also if your going to follow post follow folks that are involved as they are you best scource of info your going to get.

GM may have not worked like this before but they are now!

Edited by hyperv6

Folks it is time to wake up and realize the American press has no clue to what GM is doing!!!!

GM RWD is being developed in the land down under and is father along than many here realize.

Even folks that work at GM here do not know what is all going on down under. So when they say programs are not approved and nothing is going on you might want to use some caution as the people connected to these cars are indicating different.

The GTO is in the mix as well as a Camaro and 4 door sedans. Someone in Detroit keep trying to say different and the press runs with it.

Keep your eyes open for a Impala the will blow minds!!!! It is going to be like the Camaro, A little retro 60's with a lot of 21 century tech and updated styling.

Like noted above GM does not change it's mind day to day. A lot of what we are hearing is stuff that was decided 6 months to a year ago.

Also note that some of the known GM people in the know on the RWD platform read our post here and are not sure who some of the claimed insiders are and what the H&ll they are talking about in some of their post.

Thank God for people like guionM, Lutz and Fbodfather who have been preaching the truth and time has proven them correct the vast majority of the time. Take a look at their post as they don't delete what they put on this site.

Anyway I hope this puts the Firebird coming back to rest finally. The key people at GM had made it clear several times it is not in GM's best interest to do a Firebird in the forseeable future.

Things are in the works and don't beleive everything you read in the press!! Most of us here should know that by now!!! Also if your going to follow post follow folks that are involved as they are you best scource of info your going to get.

GM may have not worked lke this before but they are now!

^ jesus is that you?

man i love GM :pbjtime::thumbsup:

That's excellent Pontiac news! And I like what hyper said about the Impala. I have high hopes for the complete Lutzification of GM, as I love what he's been able to do so far. Look what he did for Chrysler. GM is a much bigger sandbox than Chrysler was. Edited by ocnblu

GM RWD is being developed in the land down under and is farther along than many here realize.

The GTO is in the mix as well as a Camaro and 4 door sedans. Someone in Detroit keeps trying to say different and the press runs with it.

GM may have not worked like this before but they are now!

:bowdown: I'd love to take word for word what you say as the truth, but I have to be doubtful of GM, as the true nature of a GM fan goes, but still thank you for the message.

Can anyone say "critical mass"? 8)

To the naysayers: :neenerneener:

Don't forget :pokeowned:

Well, I retract my original statement where I double guessed myself and said perhaps I was wrong abotu the GTO being a permanent part of the Ponitac lineup. I say this pretty much guarantees a Camaro by CY 2008 as a MY2009.

:CG_all:

Please, God, don't let it be retro-ized.

GTO [not retro at all] okay sales & a lot of bitching form the enthusiasts.

Camaro Concept [retro-but-modern] = fantastic response from the media & enthusiasts

What do YOU think will happen? :yes:

Camaro Concept [retro-but-modern] = fantastic response from the media & enthusiasts

What do YOU think will happen?  :yes:

If I remember correctly, the "drawings on the wall" of a Pontiac coupe at the media preview weren't retro.

:bowdown: I'd love to take word for word what you say as the truth, but I have to be doubtful of GM, as the true nature of a GM fan goes, but still thank you for the message.

It is not what I say but the three wise men.

guionM, Bob Lutz and Fbodfather, They will show you the truth in their post and public notes. If you want to know the Future of RWD at GM follow the words they post.

Most of what I learn is available to anyone who has a computer and knows where to look and to whom for accurate info. It is not at Edmunds or Car and driver . com.

What do YOU think will happen?  :yes:

I'd rather have a good MODERN-design car that doesn't break any sales records and performs like a marvel, then a retro-ized pig, ala the Mustang. Let it be said that I HATE late-model Mustangs. And I'm not the biggest late-model Camaro and Firebird fan either. The only good muscle car, is a classic muscle car. Give me a modern, high-quality, tastefully designed 2+2 coupe with bitchin performance please. Not some retro-modern thing meant to pander to the 35+ crowd.

guionM, Bob Lutz and Fbodfather, They will show you the truth in their post and public notes. If you want to know the Future of RWD at GM follow the words they post.

Most of what I learn is available to anyone who has a computer and knows where to look and to whom for accurate info. It is not at Edmunds or Car and driver . com.

Then why was Edmunds posting a '10 due date for the Camaro?

And, if the info is available, can links please be posted? I haven't seen one shread of evidence that the Camaro is any closer than '09 at this point....And a GTO replacement is uncertain at best...

LATE EDIT:

late '08 production means '09 Model year...http://autoweek.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060302/FREE/60302001/1039/LATESTNEWS

Edited by enzl

Then why was Edmunds posting a '10 due date for the Camaro?

And, if the info is available, can links please be posted? I haven't seen one shread of evidence that the Camaro is any closer than '09 at this point....And a GTO replacement is uncertain at best...

LATE EDIT:

late '08 production means '09 Model year...http://autoweek.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060302/FREE/60302001/1039/LATESTNEWS

I assume the note here was posted before you read the Autoweek story??? I Think Lutz is a reliable person for info on the GTO?

On the Camaro I had posted Fbodfathers post from Camaroz28.com. He flat stated not to beleive the press and that Edmunds even has the wrong engines listed. Seeing that Fbodfather is involved with the Camaro in several areas and was the past marketing manager for the Camaro he should know what he speaks of here.

Much can be learned by visiting the Camaro site and looking up Fbodfathers post. He may hint a lot but it adds up in time and you will be the first to know.

Keep your eyes open as Real GM people are around and will leak some info from time to time.

In the end the Zeta is alive, the Camaro and GTO are on the way. Only a unforseen economic development can stop it at this point.

2008 will be a very good year to go car shoping.

I assume the note here was posted before you read the Autoweek story??? I Think Lutz is a reliable person for info on the GTO?

On the Camaro I had posted Fbodfathers post from Camaroz28.com. He flat stated not to beleive the press and that Edmunds even has the wrong engines listed.  Seeing that Fbodfather is involved with the Camaro in several areas and was the past marketing manager for the Camaro he should know what he speaks of here.

Much can be learned by visiting the Camaro site and looking up Fbodfathers post. He may hint a lot but it adds up in time and you will be the first to know.

Keep your eyes open as Real GM people are around and will leak some info from time to time. 

In the end the Zeta is alive, the Camaro and GTO are on the way. Only a unforseen economic development can stop it at this point.

2008 will be a very good year to go car shoping.

I did get to the autoweek article late...however, you stated in your previous posts that there is 'proof' of the '08 MY intro for the Camaro and the GTO is a go...if you reread the Autoweek article, a timeframe is NOT given...and, according to insiders that I have heard from, its an 09 intro for the Camaro and a maybe for the Pontiac, Buick or other Zetas...not the same thing as you're saying...again, are there links that verify production plans I'm unaware of?

I did get to the autoweek article late...however, you stated in your previous posts that there is 'proof' of the '08 MY intro for the Camaro and the GTO is a go...if you reread the Autoweek article, a timeframe is NOT given...and, according to insiders that I have heard from, its an 09 intro for the Camaro and a maybe for the Pontiac, Buick or other Zetas...not the same thing as you're saying...again, are there links that verify production plans I'm unaware of?

Yes, that's right. From what we've heard.. the bar for Camaro is set at fall 2007 or spring 2008 for the 2009 MY, which differs from the calendar year.

I'd rather have a good MODERN-design car that doesn't break any sales records and performs like a marvel, then a retro-ized pig, ala the Mustang.  Let it be said that I HATE late-model Mustangs.  And I'm not the biggest late-model Camaro and Firebird fan either.  The only good muscle car, is a classic muscle car.  Give me a modern, high-quality, tastefully designed 2+2 coupe with bitchin performance please.  Not some retro-modern thing meant to pander to the 35+ crowd.

:withstupid:

I try hard to hold a state of neutrality so as to keep from disappointing myself. I am for RWD naturally, so anything about it excites me. I will await anxiously for further concrete developments, including mid-year when the decision on Camaro is supposed to be made. In the meantime, your updates are very much appreciated here, and others here too.