Sign in to follow this  
NINETY EIGHT REGENCY

Hyundai pledges to average minimum 50 MPG CAFE standards by 2025

4 posts in this topic

Hyundai pledges to average minimum 50 MPG CAFE standards by 2025

by Damon Lavrinc (RSS feed) on Aug 4th 2010 at 2:27PM

Hyundai is nothing if not ambitious. The Korean automaker announced today that it will continue its efforts to be the most fuel-efficient automaker in America through the next two decades, with plans to achieve a Corporate Average Fuel Economy rating of 50 miles per gallon by 2025 for its entire vehicle lineup.

The cornerstone of Hyundai's approach is its Blue Drive strategy, which incorporates a range of engine technologies – from turbocharging and direct-injection to lightweight materials and both traditional and plug-in hybrids – to reduce consumption and improve overall efficiency.

Hyundai points to the 2011 Sonata as the first in a wave of new products to utilize its new and improved drivetrains, available with either hybrid, turbocharged and naturally aspirated engines. And Hyundai appears to be in a better position than other full-line automakers to reach its lofty mpg goal, as it doesn't offer any pickup or body-on-frame SUV models. Hit the jump for the full blast and read our First Drive of the Sonata Hybrid for details on its gas-electric system.

link:

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/08/04/hyundai-pledges-to-average-minimum-50-mpg-cafe-standards-by-2025/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

HYUNDAI AIMS FOR 50 MPG AVERAGE BY 2025

By Mark Kleis

Speaking yesterday at an automotive conference, Hyundai Motor America’s president and CEO announced that the Korean automaker is setting a target of 50 mpg for its fleet-wide average by 2025, a target well beyond what will be the federally mandated standard at the time.

during the 2010 CAR Management Briefing Seminars, John Krafcik, Hyundai Motor America CEO, said, “We don’t know specifically how to get there [50 mpg by 2025], but we do have a roadmap,” according to the Detroit Free Press.

Currently the federal government has set a standard of 35.5 mpg by 2016, a figure that Hyundai hopes to make with ease as it has held the highest average fuel economy of any automaker in the U.S. for the last two years. One advantage that Hyundai enjoys over many of its competitors, however, is that the automaker does not produce any trucks or large SUVs – vehicles that can significantly bring down a company’s fleet-wide fuel economy averages.

But Hyundai – at least for now – does not have a desire to compete in the large SUV or truck market, instead focusing on small and midsize offerings. For example. Freep notes that Krafcik cited the 2011 Sonata midsize sedan’s sole engine offering being a four-cylinder engine. By eliminating the option of a V6 engine, all Sonata models shaved roughly 40 lbs of weight, helping to improve fuel economy.

Combined, the EPA rates the Sonata’s fuel economy at 26 mpg.

link:

http://www.leftlanenews.com/hyundai-aims-for-50-mpg-average-by-2025.html

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hyundai vows 50 mpg for U.S. lineup by 2025

David Barkholz

Automotive News -- August 4, 2010 - 11:58 am ET

TRAVERSE CITY, Mich. -- Hyundai’s entire U.S. vehicle lineup will achieve an average of 50 mpg by 2025, Hyundai Motor America CEO John Krafcik pledged today.

Speaking here at the Management Briefing Seminars, Krafcik said Hyundai’s U.S. market share has climbed 50 percent since the carmaker became the leader in fuel economy in 2008.

“Getting to 50 mpg and beyond seems like a huge leap, but by making this commitment and aligning our r&d initiatives now, we know we can get there,” Krafcik said.

Hyundai plans to achieve the benchmark through improvements in powertrains -- including gasoline direct injection, turbocharging, electric hybrids, plug-in hybrids -- plus lightweight materials and other innovations, Krafcik said.

Krafcik said Hyundai would reach the 50 mpg target with about 80 percent of its fleet still using traditional gasoline engines. The other 20 percent would be hybrid, electric and other alternative-fuel vehicles.

He reminded the audience that Hyundai committed to an average 35 mpg for its fleet by 2015 before the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration last year raised the federal standard to 35.5 mpg by 2016.

Krafcik said the redesigned 2011 Sonata mid-sized sedan will be offered only with four-cylinder engines that achieve a highway rating of 35 mpg. The vehicle went on sale in January.

Krafcik said only about 10 percent of mid-sized sedan buyers really want a V-6, so Hyundai saved about 40 pounds by eliminating the packing and other things needed to fit a V-6 under the hood.

Read more: http://www.autonews.com/article/20100804/OEM05/100809921/1129#ixzz0vgKlvofT

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hyundai seeks more capacity, 50 mpg

David Barkholz

Automotive News -- August 4, 2010 - 6:16 pm ET

Sales demand has Hyundai Motor America considering a second U.S.plant or an expansion of its Alabama assembly plant as the carmaker stays on course to exceed for the first time total U.S. vehicle sales of 500,000, Hyundai America CEO John Krafcik said today.

That's a gain of at least 15 percent from 2009's vehicle sales of 435,064.

Hyundai expects to announce a plan to increase U.S. production capacity within the next month, Krafcik said.

He also said Hyundai's entire U.S. vehicle lineup will achieve an average of 50 mpg by 2025, and he unveiled plans for a marketing push tied to pediatric cancer research and awareness.

Hyundai's plant in Alabama, which makes the Sonata sedan and Santa Fe crossover, is running at maximum overtime and still struggles to meet sales demands, Krafcik said here yesterday at the seminars. He declined to say what shape the new U.S. production would take.

"Getting to 50 mpg and beyond seems like a huge leap, but by making this commitment and aligning our r&d initiatives now, we know we can get there," he said.

Hyundai plans to achieve the benchmark through improvements in powertrains — including gasoline direct injection, turbocharging, electric hybrids and plug-in hybrids — plus lightweight materials and other innovations, he said.

Krafcik said Hyundai will reach the 50 mpg target with about 80 percent of its fleet still using traditional gasoline engines. The other 20 percent will be hybrid, electric and other alternative-fuel vehicles.

He reminded the audience that Hyundai committed to an average 35 mpg for its fleet by 2015 before the federal government last year proposed raising the federal standard to 35.5 mpg by the 2016 model year. The government adopted that standard this spring.

Krafcik noted that the redesigned 2011 Sonata mid-sized sedan is offered only with four-cylinder engines that achieve a highway rating of 35 mpg. The vehicle went on sale in January.

Krafcik said only about 10 percent of mid-sized sedan buyers want a V-6, so Hyundai saved about 40 pounds by eliminating components needed to accommodate a V-6 under the hood.

On another front Hyundai intends to donate two-thirds of its September marketing budget to promote research and public awareness of pediatric cancer, Krafcik said.

Hyundai's 800 U.S. dealers also have committed to donate $100 per vehicle sale in September for the cause with a $100 match by Hyundai. That money will be used for 60 grants of $100,000 to medical facilities and organizations involved in pediatric cancer research and care.

Read more: http://www.autonews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20100804/OEM/308059991/1129#ixzz0vjeMOUkL

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this