Detroit News: 2006 Pontiac G6 GTP Coupe Review

I hate the interior design of the Civic.  HATE it.

And that first picture of the G6 interior is terrible

But the G6 suffers from the same thing the STS suffers from.  Poor design.

I chose that picture because it's most similar view to the two of the Civic I showed; I wanted it to show what most readily is apparent to the driver as he gets inside. The things directly in front of him. I'd say for the target of the Civic, young girls and guys, in the city, who will generally be a lot more expressive than you guys obviously are, for this market it is perfect, it has inspiration, an incredible finish and polish, and all in all very fashionable. For years, you will see cars emulating the look in a bid to set themselves apart.

I chose that picture because it's most similar view to the two of the Civic I showed; I wanted it to show what most readily is apparent to the driver as he gets inside. The things directly in front of him. I'd say for the target of the Civic, young girls and guys, in the city, who will generally be a lot more expressive than you guys obviously are, for this market it is perfect, it has inspiration, an incredible finish and polish, and all in all very fashionable. For years, you will see cars emulating the look in a bid to set themselves apart.

What does being expressive have to do with anything? I prefer organic, flowing interiors, ala Acura and Lexus. I like symetry. The Civic interior is none of that. Its WAY too busy, IMO.

alright ive just been sittin back and readin all this for way too long... i understand that the G6 has its faults... i get it... but before i adress the real problem... thanks for the pictures of the interior... the conept G6 is by far the best... the civic interior is gross... looks like something out os a scifi movie... and i think the actual G6 interior just suffers from poor color combinations... its weird looking... but im sure in a black/dark grey it wouldnt look as gaudy as the civic... now onto what i came here to say... turbo... what the hell is your problem with pontiac? did a fiero once tear your civic dx apart? why do you love honda so much? they really arent that great... if you must love japanese cars why dont you love the one who makes actual quality cars that lots of people like (toyota) i personally dont like the G6 coupe that much... but id take one in a heartbeat over an Si... the Si is gross in evry way... the exterior just looks ridiculous... and im asuming the "top of the line" civic interior is the Si... thats gross as well... not to mention... while 240 horse isnt the greatest for a performance car... it is way... way better than 197... im sorry but the pontiac bashing is gunna hafta stop... im a big pontiac fan... and its startin to bother me... i can only hope that BV doesnt see any of this...

Color combinations aren't its only problem, monte. The materials just are a generation or two behind the composition. I hate the Civic's design...too gimmicky...but the materials are great. It is a quality interior marred IMO by poor design. The G6...just wishes it had that problem. It's really unfortunate the interior is so lacking when the coupe and convertible could be really competitive if they didn't suffer from such obvious cost cutting measures. The sedan has some dated styling cues. Had this product turned out like the concept it would be a whole different story.

I propose a group meeting. Someone rent a van and load it up with C&Gers, who would be blindfolded. Drop them off at different dealerships, open up some cars, and let them do a braille test on these interiors. THEN, we post results.

The Civics I've looked at have not been perfect, certainly not in design (ugliest dash in forever), color choice (the tan is too yellow, looks crappy) or assembly (the door pull trim was not snapped together tightly and the plastic had clear mold lines and "flash" (excess plastic that squeezes out of the edge of the mold and leaves a little sharp edge that you feel every time you pull the door closed).)

In my opinion, the Civic interior is off-putting and cold, whereas the G6 interior is warmer, more inviting and friendlier.

Edited by ocnblu

I agree with you, but cool off, man! No need to crack a vein or two because of these morons 8) .

Toni,

That's totally uncalled for.

As many know, Croc and I don't always see eye-to-eye, but no one on here, even him, deserves to be called a "moron."

Let's leave the name-calling off of here...

Oh please.  The G6 has its share of flaws but apparently you and I have sat in completely different 2006 Civics.  The one I sat in at the Chicago Auto show had cheap hard plastic everywhere.  The design only made it worse...the "origami" styling you describe not only highlighted the existing gaps but added to them as well.  It was much like the Fusion where it looks good in pictures but in person not only looks cheap but feels cheap.  Ironically the Accord suffered the same fate too. 

The G6 has plenty of interior problems...but please don't use a overrated car riding on its name ala Civic as an example of how we should design and build cars.

I'll agree with Turbo 10-times over on this issue.....

Whether or not you like the styling of the Civic's interior.....the way everything fits, the way it was designed to fit, the materials (yes, SOFT-touch on the dash and door panels) and the switchgear shows true attention to detail and a definite LACK of cost-cutting....

....compared to most GM interiors....including the G6.

What does being expressive have to do with anything?  I prefer organic, flowing interiors, ala Acura and Lexus.  I like symetry.  The Civic interior is none of that.  Its WAY too busy, IMO.

I think Turbo's trying to make a point about the EXECUTION of the interior......regardless of the actual style or design.....

True it is a love-it-or-hate-it design.....but the execution and materials are top-notch.

Toni,

As many know, Croc and I don't always see eye-to-eye, but no one on here, even him, deserves to be called a "moron."

well OC... toni wasnt calling croc a moron... i think you mis-read what he said... he said "no need to crack a vein or two, because of these morons" when he said morons he was reffering to the leinerts... just clearin that up

Toni,

I don't know why the nested quoting feature doesn't work in the new boards. If you see my original post, I was quoting Walt, when he was cracking his vein over the couple writing the article.

So no, I'm not calling anyone here morons.

Look, Honda copied GM's steering wheel design. you know since, GM owns the copyright to that design. :rolleyes:

[would be the typical C&G response]

I was actually thinking that the current Accord interior needs more color. Some aluminum trim running the length of the middle dash where the upper and lower section meet would be a nice break from the all-black plastic wasteland.