2007 Buick Lucerne

Derek77

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Ditch the 3800 or give it more power. Lexus and others will make a point over the ES's 260-something standard hp vs. the Lucerne's 197 standard hp. The new 6 speed couldnt hurt either.

Ditch the 3800 or give it more power. Lexus and others will make a point over the ES's 260-something standard hp vs. the Lucerne's 197 standard hp. The new 6 speed couldnt hurt either.

It's worse than you think: the ES has a standard 272hp V6.

It's worse than you think:  the ES has a standard 272hp V6.

great....

oh well, at least the Northstar has 275 hp. But 3 hp really wont make a difference.

I dont understand why Buick cant at least put the 300 hp Northstar in the Lucerne like the one used in the '02 Seville.

great....

oh well, at least the Northstar has 275 hp. But 3 hp really wont make a difference.

I dont understand why Buick cant at least put the 300 hp Northstar in the Lucerne like the one used in the '02 Seville.

Well, it may have a few reasons as to why that version isn't there. First of all, the DTS' Northstar doesn't even get 300hp, and it's the same car as the Lucerne. It's most potent engine is the 292hp version. Now, that might have something to do with the new SAE standards--maybe that knocked off 8hp from the 300?

Also, wasn't the last gen Seville RWD? That might have something to do with it as well--I know the STS is RWD, but I'm not positive about the last gen Seville as I didn't pay too much attention to what was under the hood--despite the fact that I thought it was a gorgeous car.

One more thing... the Northstar in the Lucerne may only have a 3hp advantage over the V6 in the ES350, but it also has a 43lb-ft torque advantage over the ES.

Edited by Paolino

Well, it may have a few reasons as to why that version isn't there.  First of all, the DTS' Northstar doesn't even get 300hp, and it's the same car as the Lucerne.  It's most potent engine is the 292hp version.  Now, that might have something to do with the new SAE standards--maybe that knocked off 8hp from the 300?

Also, wasn't the last gen Seville RWD?  That might have something to do with it as well--I know the STS is RWD, but I'm not positive about the last gen Seville as I didn't pay too much attention to what was under the hood--despite the fact that I thought it was a gorgeous car.

One more thing... the Northstar in the Lucerne may only have a 3hp advantage over the V6 in the ES350, but it also has a 43lb-ft torque advantage over the ES.

last gen Seville was FWD. I though it looked really good too. But when has Lexus (or Toyota for that matter) ever cited their cars as having torque advantages? The public looks at hp more than torque as well, so the number could come back to bite GM. But Buick has topped Toyota Corp in quality studies by JD Power, so maybe the hp numbers wont matter that much if Buick advertises this.

Why does the G6 and Aura get a 6-Speed Automatic while the DTS, Lucerene and LaCrosse don't?

I'd say because of quality. The 6-speed is new and will have a few bugs at first. Buick and Caddy score on the top of quality and Pontiac scores on the bottom...let Pontiac have it first.

I'd say because of quality.  The 6-speed is new and will have a few bugs at first.  Buick and Caddy score on the top of quality and Pontiac scores on the bottom...let Pontiac have it first.

That's true. That's a big problem with having such high quality. Being the guinea pig on a new idea could ultimately hurt Buick reputation. However I think Buick does need to be the grand-opener of some big things so Buick can have a better reputation with some of the media as being more innovative and not a write-off.