Zero Pe%cent Financing

When if ever, do you think GM will offer a 0% (or even like 2.9%) financing deal on the Cobalt?

This may be the gentle economic "push" my Mom needs to replace her Grand Am with a new Chevy, either a Cobalt or an HHR.

Why don't you buy a Japanese? Just kidding. The problem with the Cobalt is, for the money, the car should have better brakes and better interior material, mine creaks and rattles already after 5K miles. You would not need 0% financing if GM had a great product to offer.

Why don't you buy a Japanese? Just kidding.

Some of you prpbably hate me now that I've bought an '84 Datsun & a '97 Infiniti and sold out, rest assured though I'm not buying a brand new Japanese car. My parents I can't speak for, never say never but it would be a SAD day since they've been buying 100% GM (both new and used) since we came to the USA in 1987.

The problem with the Cobalt is, for the money, the car should have better brakes and better interior material, mine creaks and rattles already after 5K miles. You would not need 0% financing if GM had a great product to offer.

My mother couldn't give a #%@*& less... She does not complain about such things. As long as she's got a comfortable seat, does not hate the color, likes the styling and it proves economical and reliable for her she will be thrilled.

And contrary to popular belief some of us are in need of 0% financing. Especially when it can make the differance between a $250 dollar payment and a $300 payment.

When if ever, do you think GM will offer a 0% (or even like 2.9%) financing deal on the Cobalt?

This may be the gentle economic "push" my Mom needs to replace her Grand Am with a new Chevy, either a Cobalt or an HHR.

probably when GM's credit rating isnt junk...

Why don't you buy a Japanese? Just kidding. The problem with the Cobalt is, for the money, the car should have better brakes and better interior material, mine creaks and rattles already after 5K miles. You would not need 0% financing if GM had a great product to offer.

I dunno what you got, but I've had zero problems with my Cobalt after 19K miles. No creaks, rattles, brakes are perfectly fine. Hasn't had a trip to the dealer yet.

I dunno what you got, but I've had zero problems with my Cobalt after 19K miles.  No creaks, rattles, brakes are perfectly fine.  Hasn't had a trip to the dealer yet.

I'm not saying that it's not a good car but interior could have been better. It creaks since the beginning of the winter, specially the fake aluminium, maybe this spring noise will go away. Concerning the breaks, GM seems to put cheap rotors that last only 30-40 miles. Japanese put brakes that last a lot longer.

It's my third GM, and brakes have always been short lived.

I'm not saying that it's not a good car but interior could have been better. It creaks since the beginning of the winter, specially the fake aluminium, maybe this spring noise will go away. Concerning the breaks, GM seems to put cheap rotors that last only 30-40 miles. Japanese put brakes that last a lot longer.

It's my third GM, and brakes have always been short lived.

I don't really think the interior is out of line with any other subcompact....at least in its price range....I did notice there is a big difference in the trims...like my LS is worlds better than the base model.

Every manufacturer puts cheap brakes on their cars nowadays..just another cost cutting move.

My daughter and I bought a new Saturn ION a couple of weekends ago and got 0% financing. By the way she loves the car no big deal. By the way she seems to be so much better of a driver because of the center mounted instruements. This is a big deal.

Every manufacturer puts cheap brakes on their cars nowadays..just another cost cutting move.

Also has to do wiht the government regulatoruy elimination of asbestos in brake linings. Asbestos was AWSOME for brake linings... it's the perfect material but unfortunately causes cancer... esp as brake dust that gets inhaled by mechanics. :(

68, have you considered the ION Quad Coupe??? You can get a 5-speed manual with it, plus it has the dent-resistant body panels, and best of all if you need to put Sofia in the rear seat it's super easy because of the Quad Coupe rear doors. Just my :twocents: (especially since I'll be a SATURN owner soon!)

For the sake of objectivity I should go take a look and drive one. I'm not sure how soon this purchase will happen. It's kind of tough to say since we're in the middle of buying a house and this might screw things up. The house is #1, everything else may have to wait for a couole months including a new car purchase.

For the sake of objectivity I should go take a look and drive one. I'm not sure how soon this purchase will happen. It's kind of tough to say since we're in the middle of buying a house and this might screw things up. The house is #1, everything else may have to wait for a couole months including a new car purchase.

Trust me 68, I've been ther and done that!!! :P

I really dig the frontend design of the ION Quad Coupe. Of course I also like the ION QC Redline model a lot, but I don't drive stick (sorry - don't hate me peeps!). I think it's worth the test-drive when you're ready. Downside is Saturn's warranty is 3yr/36K compared to the Cobalt's 5yr/60k warranty. Of course if you priced the ION with the extend GM warranty, I wonder how much more it would be?

dont check ur credit or anything until your out of escrow!

I don't really think the interior is out of line with any other subcompact....at least in its price range....I did notice there is a big difference in the trims...like my LS is worlds better than the base model.

Nah....the interior is basically crap.

Sorry....but IMHO, the actual design and/or styling looks good. But the plastics, seat comfort, and center-stack control quality are all at about the bottom of the pile...

I like the Cobalt....but I hate the interior.....it's a deal-breaker for me.

Sorry....but IMHO, the actual design and/or styling looks good.  But the plastics, seat comfort, and center-stack control quality are all at about the bottom of the pile...

wow my feelings are quite the opposite, the interior expecally the hvac controls are one of the nicest parts of the vehicle...

now that i look into some toyota hondas and nissans, i really dont understand what critics are looking at...

dont check ur credit or anything until your out of escrow!

Yes, ther's pretty much what I'm getting told. Thanks for the mention though.

GMTruckGuy74:

I too think the front of the Quad-Coupe is sharp, it's the 4-door that looks ungainly.

Also has to do wiht the government regulatoruy elimination of asbestos in brake linings. Asbestos was AWSOME for brake linings... it's the perfect material but unfortunately causes cancer... esp as brake dust that gets inhaled by mechanics. :(

Ok but why Japanese brakes last longer?? That is what I don't understand with GM.

Sorry....but IMHO, the actual design and/or styling looks good.  But the plastics, seat comfort, and center-stack control quality are all at about the bottom of the pile...

I agree. If you compare the quality of plastics, GM is still the worst.

I know, I own one. The guys in Detroit do not understand that today, you have to aim for the top.

After replacing my crappy Cavalier, I decided to give GM another chance. I leased a base Cobalt with all the rebates I could get, cause I knew that the car is not up to the competition. But I think many people will not give that chance anymore and I understand them.

I have been a big GM fan, but for my next car, I will probably look elsewhere. I'm just tired to see all the cost cutting and the cheap interiors. :(

I SERIOUSLY considered a quad coupe redline because of the rear doors. But ultimately i ended up getting something i thought had higher side impact safety ratings and a bigger backseat (500). The quad coupe is really nice though. The Ion redline and even the base Ions are FUN to drive. the plastic panels on the Ion are a nice thing, except they look sloppy. But trips to the grocery store are less stressful!

The Ion sedan has a 2.4 ecotec/5 speed package, does the coupe get that too? Had I gone for the Ion, sedan, i would have insisted on the 2.4/5 speed.

the Ion and Cobalts shifter is in the perfect spot, falls right into the hand.!

Edited by regfootball

Ok but why Japanese brakes last longer?? That is what I don't understand with GM.

Because Japanese cars are LIGHTER than the US counterparts...that is why the components do not wear out as fast - less weight to haul around...ever see a Nissan Sentra after a head on collision with a...anything? NOT GOOD. I am not saying the the Cavalier was great, but there was more around you than there is in the Japanese car. :pokeowned:

This is what makes japanese cars so nimble and quick against the competitors.

Simple math: If you gotta put it on a boat to get it here, it had better be light so that we can get a lot on the boat to pay for the trip. boats still gotta float

0% interest is a thing of the past. Bush has risen the interest rates so many times in the last few years that it doesn't really make sense for finance companies to offer such cheap loans.

The president does not control the interest rates...the Federal Reserve does that to stem off inflation. Greenspan has been raising rates to combat the rise of inflation. GM does not have 0% out right now as it is a bit crunched right now financially, and with a 'junk' rating on the stock, I doubt a lot of lenders are hopping in to give free money to them.

It would be just like you walking into the Caddy dealer after leaving your bankruptcy hearing...you gonna get 0% or 12%?

GM does not have 0% out right now as it is a bit crunched right now financially, and with a 'junk' rating on the stock, I doubt a lot of lenders are hopping in to give free money to them.

I got 0% from GM just a couple of weeks ago. They even included the overpriced extended warranty on the 0% loan.

Actually the weight issue is a good point. SAy what you will about the old J-bodys but they're not built like a tin can.

brakes lasting longer? well you have to get the car up to speed before you can really do some wear and tear on them... and i for one will replace my brakes as often as i need to because i love the way i drive... but realistically to compare someone like me to someone like my dad (a happy toyota owner) and realize why the brakes or tires dont last as long... :lol: haha maybe its all that press on the brakes and the gas at the same time :ohyeah: