Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Variance

VW Confirms It Will Build Golf-Based Compact SUV

12 posts in this topic

Link: http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/News/articleId=107089

VW Confirms It Will Build Golf-Based Compact SUV
Date Posted 08-31-2005

WOLFSBURG, Germany — Volkswagen has confirmed it will build a Golf-based compact SUV.

The vehicle, which is rumored to be called Beduin, will be built at VW's plant in Portugal alongside the new Golf-based cabriolet that will be unveiled at the upcoming Frankfurt Motor Show.

The small SUV will compete with Toyota's RAV4 and BMW's X3 in an increasingly crowded compact 4x4 sector. The SUV is one of a number of niche models that VW is planning in an effort to put some pizzazz back into its range. The car is expected to be unveiled at either the Geneva or Paris Motor Show next year and will go into production in 2007.

Building the car in Portugal will save VW $1,220 per vehicle, compared with building it in Germany, the company told the Financial Times. The paper said this was a way of putting pressure on German unions to agree to ways of lowering VW's German labor costs. Bernd Pischetsrieder, VW's CEO, last week spoke of the need to lower production costs dramatically, with job losses or pay cuts a possibility.

What this means to you: It's mighty crowded in the small SUV sector, so it'll be tough for VW to break into the market, especially given the strength of the competition.

What this means to you: It's mighty crowded in the small SUV sector, so it'll be tough for VW to break into the market, especially given the strength of the competition.

...and the ugly "Beduin" mule seen testing in various spy shots.

The last thing we need is another SUV, big or small. If VW gave us a cool Golf-based Microbus, they would command my attention.

Another nomadic Middle Eastern tribe? What happened to real names?

[post="7690"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Sciorro? (spelled wrong, but you get it)
Jetta?
Passat?
Kubang? (Ok, so its a Maserati, but its fun to say. KUBANG!)

Sciorro? (spelled wrong, but you get it)
Jetta?
Passat?
Kubang? (Ok, so its a Maserati, but its fun to say.  KUBANG!)

[post="7695"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Scirocco is a real thing - a Mediterranean wind.
Kubang is a hit Ricky Martin song.

My point is that the names are just lousy. They have no relevance, no one can pronounce them, and they sound clunky and inelegant.

I know its a real thing, I looked it up a few years ago when the Toureg name was announced just to use it to point out the VW names are dumb. Kubang just sounds good. I'd buy one just so I could say "I bought a new car!" then when people asked what I got I could yell "KUBANG!!!!" and keep it going as long as that soccer announcer who yelled GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL for like an hour and a half.

I see so many Touregs and Cayennes daily...I think they will be successful with this.

Maybe it will look like this:

Posted Image

Yikes, I like VWs, but that thing looks more top-heavy than a Suzuki Samurai. But I guess it will have airbags on the outside of the doors for a soft landing.

This market is way too flooded for VW to step into. . . this could hurt them in the long run.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0