Toyota to Launch Lexus $170,000 Supercar in 2008

Variance

Report: Toyota Set to Launch Lexus $170,000 Supercar in 2008

Date posted: 03-06-2006

TOKYO — Toyota has secretly approved plans to put its sensational 200-mph Lexus LF-A supercar in the market, according to a report in Tokyo.

Japan's media are reporting that Toyota will launch a luxury sports car for the Lexus brand embracing F1 technology in fall 2008. The reports also say Toyota is pitching hard to bring the Japanese F1 Grand Prix to its newly refurbished Fuji Speedway track, which will help the company drive home the car's F1 connection.

The supersleek LF-A, as shown so far, has a 5.0-liter, front-mounted V10. However, with F1 engine regulations switching to V8, it raises the question whether Toyota will make that change on the LF-A as well. The fact that Honda is preparing a new V10 NSX for 2009 suggests Toyota will stick with the V10 so it won't lose out in the image war, and at the same time to hold firm to the LF-A's premium status.

The LF-A sticker is expected to be just under $170,000, a bargain by supercar standards.

Honda's contract to hold the F1 Japanese Grand Prix at Suzuka expires this year. This has not escaped the attention of Toyota, which will be lobbying hard to stage the race at its own Fuji Speedway, near Tokyo. Honda, however, seems determined to fight to keep its F1 date. That raises the possibility of two F1 races in Japan, which sounds exciting!

What this means to you: Toyota, with cash to burn, puts the pedal to the metal with F1, both on the circuit and the road.

Link: http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/News/articleId=109529

Good, with their track record this means the Lexus just has a cold chance in hell of beating the Z06's time around Nurburing for $100,000 more. And the Evil Giant will sell tons and keep marching on.

Good, with their track record this means the Lexus just has a cold chance in hell of beating the Z06's time around Nurburing for $100,000 more. And the Evil Giant will sell tons and keep marching on.

Exactly, except I find it hard to believe anyone would consider buying another "supercar" when you have the 650+hp Corvette coming along in the near future which I'm sure will be way less expensive and quicker too.

Sorry, but the LF-A design never screamed "supercar" to me. Looks more like a modern Supra.

Who is saying Toyota is going to use the camo'd design shown in the spy shots? Rumors have it Toyota will be getting a sportscar, also, so we could have actually been seeing the Supra. No one knows.

Good point Supremus.

The new Z06 lacks only one thing that Exotics usually have: mid-shp-engine mounted behind the driver... btu at leqst the Corvette has an excellent reputation and great customer base. This Lexus will be loved and lusted after by high shcool kid driving Corolla Matrix Wagons wiht TRD rims... the serious enthusiasts will laugh at it in lagre numbers me-thinks.

I don't see it being aimed at the Corvette but the Aston DB9, Ferrari F599 and other front-engined coupes with prestige brands and high prices... different market.

The Supra will be more of a Vette competitor, I think.

Edited by moltar

I don't see it being aimed at the Corvette but the Aston DB9, Ferrari F599 and other front-engined coupes with prestige brands and high prices... different market.

The Supra will be more of a Vette competitor, I think.

Bingo. Same with the V10-super luxo car Honda is developing. Unlike what all the magazines like to report, it is not an NSX replacement (and will more than likely not share the name), but a FR layout V10 car like an Aston Marton (or possibly AWD). It only makes sense that both Toyota and Honda are doing this at roughly the same time. I'll bet both companies will come out with a Supra/NSX that are more bare-boned racing cars (although not really bare bones) like a Corvette sometime in the near future as well.

Despite Honda offing the NSX, I doubt it will be gone for long. With Honda having a full factory sponsored F1 team again for 2006, they are obviously putting a lot of time and energy (and money) into racing and racing-inspired road cars.

Bingo. Same with the V10-super luxo car Honda is developing. Unlike what all the magazines like to report, it is not an NSX replacement (and will more than likely not share the name), but a FR layout V10 car like an Aston Marton (or possibly AWD). It only makes sense that both Toyota and Honda are doing this at roughly the same time. I'll bet both companies will come out with a Supra/NSX that are more bare-boned racing cars (although not really bare bones) like a Corvette sometime in the near future as well.

Despite Honda offing the NSX, I doubt it will be gone for long. With Honda having a full factory sponsored F1 team again for 2006, they are obviously putting a lot of time and energy (and money) into racing and racing-inspired road cars.

Car and Driver or one of the magazines this month has an artist's conception of the Honda/Acura... it looks like the artist took a DB9 and put an Acura-style grille and headlights on it.

Excuses, excuses.... I love how the Corvette is eating other "supercar's" lunches.

If they make a GT front engined GT-style car called NSX then HOnda is evenj dumber than I thought.

As far as Lexus going after Aston Martin, that's posible but just as laughable.

Not really.. Toyota/Lexus is ambitious...they've already been successful against Mercedes in the luxury market, so why not take on the big-league sports car brands? They have the technology and determination..

Whether you dislike Toyota or not, never underestimate them... they are relentless.

Edited by moltar

Excuses, excuses.... I love how the Corvette is eating other "supercar's" lunches.

What's with you and corvette's? At $70k they arn't exactly cheap (the high end model), and there are plenty of cars that cost less and will beat it around a track. One of them I can think of is the Evo MR, and it's more practical too, although if you buy that you're getting a Mitsubishi, and chances are it'll fall apart after the victory lap. :lol: too much boost!! lol

If they make a GT front engined GT-style car called NSX then HOnda is evenj dumber than I thought.

Honda will most likely not name a front engined GT type car an NSX. They haven't said the car they are planning with a v10 will replace the NSX, only that they are building one. Hey at least they don't spell "even" with a 'j' at the end :P

Keep laughing. Lexus, Acura, and Infiniti will all have $100k+ cars before long (Acura has already had a car equivalent to $100k+ in USD, the NSX Type R).

All I'm saying (in essence) is that it takes more than mouse-fur visors, super-decked out dashboard and the US media's sucking up to sell a car for $170,000. That's ten times the cost of typical Scion. Better have some serious performance to back it up since the Lexus name is not THAT high end yet.

(I hear you though Moltar)

siegen:

I may suck at spelling but I think 97% of enthusiats agree that the Corvette Zo6 is the best performance car value at ANY price. It's like some kind of VooDoo how this car can pull off David & Goliath style defeats. :)

Edited by Sixty8panther

What's with you and corvette's? At $70k they arn't exactly cheap (the high end model), and there are plenty of cars that cost less and will beat it around a track. One of them I can think of is the Evo MR, and it's more practical too, although if you buy that you're getting a Mitsubishi, and chances are it'll fall apart after the victory lap.  :lol:  too much boost!! lol

are you $h!tin me?

What's with you and corvette's? At $70k they arn't exactly cheap (the high end model), and there are plenty of cars that cost less and will beat it around a track. One of them I can think of is the Evo MR, and it's more practical too, although if you buy that you're getting a Mitsubishi, and chances are it'll fall apart after the victory lap.  :lol:  too much boost!! lol

Honda will most likely not name a front engined GT type car an NSX. They haven't said the car they are planning with a v10 will replace the NSX, only that they are building one. Hey at least they don't spell "even" with a 'j' at the end  :P

Keep laughing. Lexus, Acura, and Infiniti will all have $100k+ cars before long (Acura has already had a car equivalent to $100k+ in USD, the NSX Type R).

Please prove this to me because I find that very hard to believe. I would be scared to go that fast in a car that ways that much.

Edited by ChrisPauwels

Toyota's supercar is front-engined, I'm thinking they did this in order to incorporate a hardtop vert version. Should have midmounted it w/a soft top.

5.0L V10

3050lbs

560hp@8750rpm

$120k

those are my estimates

Edited by toyoguy

The Evo isn't going to beat the Corvette around every track, just as the Corvette isn't going to beat the Evo around every track. Nurburgring definately favors a large displacement car like the Corvette rather than a small displacement 4wd car like the Evo, aside from the fact that the new Z06 was designed on that very track.

It's like some kind of VooDoo how this car can pull off David & Goliath style defeats.

Yes, it's magic.

The Evo isn't going to beat the Corvette around every track, just as the Corvette isn't going to beat the Evo around every track. Nurburgring definately favors a large displacement car like the Corvette rather than a small displacement 4wd car...

With all due respect you could not be MORE wrong about that.

The "Nurburgring Nordschleife" is one of the most difficult race tracks in the world for both driver and car it is considered the standard by which all others are judged. It contains 177 turns of all different varieties thrown togeather with a road that arbitrarily goes up and down in elevation and cuts through the German Black Forest. Imagine a dozen Corkscrews (from Laguna Seca) all thrown togeather without warning over the course of 13 miles.

It's so dangerous as a matter of fact that after Niki Lauda almost died in 1976 the Track stopped being used for the German Grand Prix. Now it's used by civilians with serious performance cars who are adrenaline junkies and companies who are developing high performance cars, esp. exotics.

The race track is the EXACT kind of enviroment where AWD and phonomenal braking play a VERY important role. If you hit a corner just a little too fast and the road not only turns into a ribbon but dips then you're at a very distinct advantage if you have AWD. Those one or two wheels that end up off the ground or without wieght on them (and thus without traction) can end up meaning the differance between life or death if you're attempting to pull 1.0Gs in order to negotiate the turn and stay away from the pine trees.

"Greatest & most challenging race circuit in the world" Jackie Stewart.

Long story short if the Japanese designed a street-legal car that could beat the Z06 around the track they'd be shouting at the top of their lungs to let everyone know.

But as it stands the Corvette which is not DOHC, lacks a Turbocharger (or any sort of forced induction) and sends power only to the rear wheels still kicks the Evo's butt.

Now if we took the Corvette to a Rally Race in Sweeden up and down a mud/rock/snow covered road lacking a smooth surface or any pavement the Evo would obviously have an advantage but since we're talking Super Cars and not Rally cars let's set the record straight: the Corvette is still the number one best bang for the buck by far!

Edited by Sixty8panther

For $170K I would expect close to 600 HP. Otherwise the car would be a flop when there are plenty of 500+ Hp cars available for a lot less. While I think the car would be a decent buy if the price was around 70 to 80K, i dont think the car would sell well for 100k above that.

The "Nurburgring Nordschleife" is one of the most difficult race tracks in the world for both driver and car it is considered the standard by which all others are judged. It contains 177 turns of all different varieties thrown togeather with a road that arbitrarily goes up and down in elevation and cuts through the German Black Forest. Imagine a dozen Corkscrews (from Laguna Seca) all thrown togeather without warning over the course of 13 miles.

It's so dangerous as a matter of fact that after Niki Lauda almost died in 1976 the Track stopped being used for the German Grand Prix. Now it's used by civilians with serious performance cars who are adrenaline junkies and companies who are developing high performance cars, esp. exotics.

Thanks for the sales pitch, lol 8)

The race track is the EXACT kind of enviroment where AWD and phonomenal braking play a VERY important role. If you hit a corner just a little too fast and the road not only turns into a ribbon but dips then you're at a very distinct advantage if you have AWD. Those one or two wheels that end up off the ground or without wieght on them (and thus without traction) can end up meaning the differance between life or death if you're attempting to pull 1.0Gs in order to negotiate the turn and stay away from the pine trees.

AWD is great for stability, but when it comes to long straights and high speed, it really takes its toll in terms of drivetrain loss. Put a skilled enough driver behind the wheel, and stability won't be a problem they can't handle, otherwise the Corvette wouldn't have been able to get its very quick 7:43 time.

Thanks for the sales pitch, lol  8)

AWD is great for stability, but when it comes to long straights and high speed, it really takes its toll in terms of drivetrain loss. Put a skilled enough driver behind the wheel, and stability won't be a problem they can't handle, otherwise the Corvette wouldn't have been able to get its very quick 7:43 time.

This is true. The Nurburgring is twisty but it has some very long straights where a higher-powered car could shave off quite a few seconds due to its high top speed.

One situation that would favor an AWD car over a high-powered RWD car should be on shorty, twisty courses, such as SCCA Autocross but a quick check of SCCA Stock classes shows the C5-C6 in Super Stock and the Evo one class lower in A stock. The C6 Z06 is so fast that it's not even allowed in the Stock Classes!

So the C6 Z06 is definately quicker than an Evo around pretty much any dry, flat, stable course, but then again it had better be quicker for the extra $45K you pay. They're both amazing cars, let's not quibble about seconds around a track.

Endo:

I'm pretty sure the price differance between the Corvette Z06 and Evo8MR is less than $45.

The MR is like $34K is it not? :huh:

And while there are some straightaways there's also a record amount of hairpin turns at the Nurburgring-Nordschleife Circuit. Someday in an aleternate universe where I have gobs of money I'm going to bring a street legal 1969 Camaro SCCA race car there and duke it out with some German eletist in his Porsche 911 Turbo. :D

Posted Image

Endo:

I'm pretty sure the price differance between the Corvette Z06 and Evo8MR is less than $45.

The MR is like $34K is it not? :huh:

Could be, I was thinking of the RS model which I think starts under 30 whereas you'd be lucky to get a C6 Z06 for under $75K. Either way, they're both amazing but completely different cars.

And as for the 'Ring, I was thinking in particular of the main straight, which is well over a mile long. Looking at that map there are several kilometer long straights.