Sign in to follow this  
NINETY EIGHT REGENCY

2011 Chevrolet Cruze Packs 36 mpg Into $16,995

2011 Chevrolet Cruze Packs 36 mpg Into $16,995

By Nelson Ireson

Editor

September 1st, 2010

Hybrids (and a few diesels) are the gold standard in fuel efficiency these days, but there's still a lot that can be done with a small but punchy four-cylinder engine paired with the occasional turbocharger, and the 2011 Chevrolet Cruze hopes to put a point on that. EPA figures revealed today put the standard 1.8-liter Ecotec Cruze LS at 26 mpg city and 36 mpg highway when paired with the six-speed manual transmission.

The automatic transmission drops those figures to 22/35 mpg, and the turbocharged 1.4-liter LT and LTZ models are good for 24/36 mpg with the standard automatic transmission. The real green star of the Cruze lineup will be the Eco, due to make its sales debut later this year, with an expected EPA rating of 40 mpg. The Eco gets its green by pairing the turbo 1.4 with the manual transmission.

Starting prices have been known since our first drive of the Cruze back in July, but Chevy thinks the efficiency and features delivered gives the Cruze a competitive value that Honda, Ford and Toyota can't match. For example, Chevy claims the Cruze LS offers between $1,000 and $2,700 worth of additional equipment compared to the Ford Focus S, Honda Civic DX, and Toyota Corolla, while priced from $388 less to $785 more than that trio of similarly-sized sedans.

There's no doubt the Cruze is a compelling car, despite a few weaknesses. As Bengt Halvorson put it in his first drive review, "The 2011 Chevy Cruze certainly isn't a car that will set your heart racing, but it manages to combine the refined ride quality and tactile interior of a Volkswagen Jetta with the no-nonsense, space-efficient packaging of the Toyota Corolla or Hyundai Elantra. Count us as extremely impressed." Be sure to read the full first drive to get the details and analysis that lead to that conclusion.

link:

http://www.thecarconnection.com/marty-blog/1048920_2011-chevrolet-cruze-packs-36-mpg-into-16995

People aren't used to paying full price for a GM compact....hopefully they will have some good leases to start....

true, I once bought a new 2004 Cavalier that stickered at $16,335. I think I walked out of the dealer paying around $9,000.. with GMS and rebates.. I drove the thing for 2 and a half years traded it in and still got $7,800 for it. I will miss the cheap GM compacts..

The mileage isn't quite what was promised. Earlier reviews pegged both stick and automatic Eco models at the 40 highway target so 36 is a bit dissapointing. Even more dissapointing is the base underpowered 1.8 with the same city as the Cobalt and only 2 more highway with .4 liters less displacement, a 6 speed automatic and more aero sheetmetal.

The mileage isn't quite what was promised. Earlier reviews pegged both stick and automatic Eco models at the 40 highway target so 36 is a bit dissapointing. Even more dissapointing is the base underpowered 1.8 with the same city as the Cobalt and only 2 more highway with .4 liters less displacement, a 6 speed automatic and more aero sheetmetal.

I am not surprised for reasons I touched on in another thread.

But, if the idea is to create a differentiated product with an advantage in fuel economy, I would never have gone with a port injected 1.4L turbo four. Instead, this is what I would have powered the Cruze.

BASE

1.8L Inline 3-cylinder

DOHC-12v, Dual VVT, Direct Injection , Otto Cycle

94 mm x 85.6 mm (Bore x Stroke)

11.3:1 compression

150 hp @ 6200 rpm

135 lb-ft @ 4200 rpm

87 Oct

LTZ / ECO

1.8L Inline 3-cylinder

DOHC-12v, Dual VVT, Direct Injection, Garrett GT15 turbocharger @ 7.5 psi, Miller Cycle

94 mm x 85.6 mm (Bore x Stroke)

11.3:1 compression

150 hp @ 5300 rpm

150 lb-ft @ 1200~5200 rpm

87 Oct

SS

2.0L Inline 4-cylinder

DOHC-16v, Dual VVT, Direct Injection, Garrett GT20RS turbocharger @ 15 psi, Otto Cycle

86 x 86 mm (Bore x Stroke)

10.3:1 compression

270 @ 6000 rpm

240 lb-ft @ 1600~5600 rpm

91 Octane

The 1.8 three cylinder engine is basically the 3.6L DI V6 (LLT) with one bank of cylinders instead of two. A single contra-rotating balance shaft quells the I3's 1st order vibrations.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

About us

CheersandGears.com - Founded 2001

We  Cars

Get in touch

Follow us

Recent tweets

facebook