Sign in to follow this  
NINETY EIGHT REGENCY

Opel to begin car sales in Israel

Opel to begin car sales in Israel

Launch is part of global expansion that includes China, South America

Paul McVeigh

Automotive News Europe -- September 2, 2010 11:27 CET

Opel will begin selling cars in Israel next year as part of General Motors Co.'s strategy to expand the European brand outside Europe.

"The relaunch of the brand in Israel is an important step to strengthen Opel’s presence in growth markets," the company said in a statement.

Opel is preparing to enter more export markets including China, South America, Australia and other Middle Eastern countries. "The company expects excellent growth opportunities" in those markets, Opel said.

GM has in the past shied away from aggressively selling Opel cars in markets outside Europe because of fears that they could cannibalize sales of its other brands such as Chevrolet, Buick and Australia's Holden, which use Opel technology.

But Opel CEO Nick Reilly as pushed for a change of strategy to reduce the brand's dependence on the stagnating European market, where Opel/Vauxhall car sales fell in the first six months by 4.5 percent to 536,258, according to ACEA, the European carmakers association.

Israel's Shlomo Group, which started as a car rental company and is now a diverse holding group, will import and distribute Opel cars in the country, starting early 2011.

"We are pleased that one of the strongest industry players in Israel, the Shlomo group, will represent the Opel brand in the future," said Michael Klaus, Opel's international operations chief. "With our attractive new products like the Insignia and Astra we will re-position the Opel brand in the Israeli market."

Read more: http://www.autonews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20100902/ANE/100909973/1308#ixzz0yNk92nsB

I happen to know the Shlomo group personally, they are the biggest car service company in Israel, but I happen to know they are just importing at the moment only three Opel models witch quite a shame because Opel has a few great car models that are being sold around the world, including eco friendly cars.

I saw it in the official opel israel website opel.co.il

I' ll be sure to read the auto news article.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

About us

CheersandGears.com - Founded 2001

We  Cars

Get in touch

Follow us

Recent tweets

facebook