Honda del Sol (no rice)

Love the vanity plate frame! I've seen that exact "make-your-own" one at the Local AutoZone. :P

So how's some details on the motor... did you really drop in a turbocharged engine inot that little doorstop?

Hey, leave the delSlow alone. She could've gotten a Scion.

How come Cimaron is censored on this site but Scion is not????

Shoulld it not be setup so that Scion turns into "Tercel II" when typed in the forum?

How come Cimaron is censored on this site but Scion is not????

Shoulld it not be setup so that Scion turns into "Tercel II" when typed in the forum?

I got irritated at people constantly calling everything a valiant attempt at an entry-level luxury car, you included.

"Catera? Just like the valiant attempt at an entry-level luxury car."

"BLS? Uh, how 'bout valiant attempt at an entry-level luxury car?"

"That Acura sucks...but it at least it ain't no valiant attempt at an entry-level luxury car."

"A minivan for GMC? Makes as much sense as the valiant attempt at an entry-level luxury car."

"Dag, yo. Even all dressed up she looks bad. What a valiant attempt at an entry-level luxury car."

The valiant attempt at an entry-level luxury car existed between 1982 and 1988. Nothing else is a valiant attempt at an entry-level luxury car. And by 1988, it wasn't a bad little car, especially with a 5-speed and the V6.

Okay... that makes a lot of sense actually. Now how about censoring Scion? Like I said I'd loev to see people type "Scion" and it come out Sky-on, $C!@# or "Tercel II" Just me thiking out loud. :wink:

Whoa damn people, wtf...lol

The engine in my car is unmodified. It's a DOHC VTEC with a manual transmission. Its got about 168HP with a redline at 8.

Unfortunately it's 2 seconds short in a quarter mile of being a muscle car :( But I'm not complaining.

The pic I posted was just a joke. I found it on Google. It's funny.

And about the crash...I used to drive a pimp-ass 95 Toyota Camry. Then my boyfriend sold his Scion XA because it was too expensive and bought a 94 ToyoCam. Then 3 days later he drove mine and some girl ran a red light and totaled it. I got over $4100 for it to be salvaged and spent $2850 of that to buy the del Sol. So it all worked out for the best.

Amazingly enough, the del Sol was almost completely unmodified. (very rare in sols) It even had the original stock cassette and radio in it! (Probably the last one on Earth that was still in the dash). It did have a crappy 6CD changer installed behind the passenger seat, but I had it taken out and put a single player in the dash instead.

And for all you dudes who are asking flybrian if I'm hot......yes. yes I am.

Hi Lauren, welcome to Cheers and Gears. Though I'd never buy a Del Sol (or just about any Honda) with a loaded gun pointed at my head, I do concede that it's one of the more innovative things Honda has done, and I remember thinking it was rather cool when it came out. I do have a soft spot for pocket open-air vehicles. The concept behind the Del Sol was great and Honda should have continued refining and perfecting it. A targa version of the current Civic with the Si powertrain would be a very desirable car.

[After seeing lauren's sig pic:]

Welcome! I like the Del Sol, it's a nice rack- oops, I mean ride. Lots of potential in those cans- uh, cars. Any plans for yours?

I almost bought one in 1995 when I was car shopping just out of cleavage- college. Very fun little roller skate on the breast drive- test drive, but at the time I was already driving one, my old 78 Civic CVCC, so I got my GTP instead. (The above was meant in jest, please don't take offense! :duck::D )

Seriously, IIRC the Japan version had a fantastic power-operated top removal system- basically, the whole trunklid would rise up, still horizontal, the top would pop up and "jaws" would slide forward from the trunklid, grab the top panel, and draw it in. The trunklid would then drop back into place. Cool!

welcome to the forums were a good bunch and prolly 30% are homosexual in some way so dont be suprised later when you start finding out people are gay(not me im just married lol)

nice little car but i would have rather had the camry if it was a v6 for sure ....... i like those i drive mine once in a while and it can goooooooo

z28luvr01-I really don't know why Honda pulled it either. The leak problem it had was the big reason people stopped buying it, then then why Honda stopped making it..but GEEZ...a LEAK? Seriously. Yeah it leaks....but even I fixed that. You're telling me that the Japanese...the same people that make every dang piece of technology thats worth anything can't put a little rubber seal around a couple of clips? Or just solder that clip in place? There really was no need for that. And why they continued to let those clips rattle around in there year after year of making it....it's a mystery.

It's amazing that someone actually made a car that follows the impossible rule of 3 (Good, Fast, and Cheap) AND it was a convertible....

The engine is amazing. It's adorable. It's a convertible! It's a Honda, so it's realiable, it's got a lot of opportunity for cutomization, it's a convertible, it's tons of fun to drive....etc etc...

Personally, my trunk did leak, but it was pretty easy to fix...but I've not had a problem with the targa top leaking. And I know it wasn't maintained by the previous 2 owners.

But on the plus side, there were only about 74,000 sold in the US, so it makes them kind of unusual. It's a lot of fun to drive a car that people look at as you go by, and then go over to and look inside when you park. It's a little bit of an attention-getting, so I'm not completely upset that they stopped making them.

Mute-I live in Asheville. Second gayest city in the world. Lesbian captial of the planet. Nothing new here. :)

Welcome, Lauren! I'm gay BV of Brookville... :D

Nice Del Sol, though. Not a bad car at all, but the plain front styling is keeping me from buying one. Well... also the fact that it's hard to come by one that isn't riced out, or atleast one that's tastefully so.

The front is sort of normal-looking, but the AUX lights make it looks really awesome in the dark ;)

There are a lot of a cool-looking mods you can make to the lights that don't make it look like trash too. Angel eyes in there look nice. I think the colors look kinda silly though.

Later in their production they stopped putting in the AUX lights...maybe that's the model you were looking at?

Too bad half of them are thoroughly riced. They're cute lil' things indeed. Fits perfectly in my lower air baffle. :)

You're just jealous that my car goes fast and you're is too big to do anything like that :P

But yeah...not a family car. :)

...I used to drive a pimp-ass 95 Toyota Camry.

I think you might be confused or something... those two words are mutually exclusive. :wink:

Relax, I'm only being serious.

I'm not their biggest fan either, but I didn't have time to chop a Chevy logo in place of the blue oval. :bowl::fryingpan:

The front is sort of normal-looking, but the AUX lights make it looks really awesome in the dark ;)

There are a lot of a cool-looking mods you can make to the lights that don't make it look like trash too. Angel eyes in there look nice. I think the colors look kinda silly though.

Later in their production they stopped putting in the AUX lights...maybe that's the model you were looking at?

I've seen both... I just don't like the front. I actually think it looks better without the aux lights.

Anyways, you've inspired me. In what way, you ask? Well... check out the concepts section sometime tonight. If I get it uploaded, I have a sketch to post. I'll give you a hint... It's a new version of something and it isn't your sig. :D

I've seen both... I just don't like the front. I actually think it looks better without the aux lights.

Anyways, you've inspired me. In what way, you ask? Well... check out the concepts section sometime tonight. If I get it uploaded, I have a sketch to post. I'll give you a hint... It's a new version of something and it isn't your sig. :D

I'm waaaaaiiiting. :)

There are a lot of a cool-looking mods you can make to the lights that don't make it look like trash too. Angel eyes in there look nice.

Angle eyes belong in BMW's! :nono:

Anyways...welcome to C&G.

You've got a nice rack.

I drive a BMW.

:AH-HA_wink:

Since I haven't had a chance to say it, welcome to C&G, I've had a chance to work on a few Del Sols, and they're relatively easy to work on, although the parts are NOT cheap, guess that's why I drive Chevys, they're reliable and when they break, parts ARE cheap. But I'm not rashing on Hondas, there are too many in the world to whine about them. Again, welcome to C&G and, as the other guys have said on here, nice rack.

Since I haven't had a chance to say it, welcome to C&G, I've had a chance to work on a few Del Sols, and they're relatively easy to work on, although the parts are NOT cheap, guess that's why I drive Chevys, they're reliable and when they break, parts ARE cheap.  But I'm not rashing on Hondas, there are too many in the world to whine about them.  Again, welcome to C&G and, as the other guys have said on here, nice rack.

OMG seriously, parts are hella expensive!!!

I called to get a damn replacement bolt cap for my high-light and they wanted like $6 per cap! It's just a little red piece of plastic!

Needless to say I just removed the other one to balance it out and screw that Honda dealership.

And don't even get me started on charging $30 for a plastic honda badge. GAWD.

thanks for the welcome! :)

Well, I know that the parts are expensive because I'm in the parts business, working at a CarQuest....believe me we sell a LOT of stuff, just nothing "pretty" like badges (badges, we don't need no stinkin' badges), or stuff like that; but if you do break something mechanical, then well...we'll have it.

Well, I know that the parts are expensive because I'm in the parts business, working at a CarQuest....believe me we sell a LOT of stuff, just nothing "pretty" like badges (badges, we don't need no stinkin' badges), or stuff like that;  but if you do break something mechanical, then well...we'll have it.

thats awesome. It's not too hard to find mechanical parts, but very hard to find small body pieces like clips and stuff. I wouldnt know where to begin looking for a replacement sail panel.

I'm excited about learning how to work on my car by myself and not rely so much on the mechanics. Like someone said before, they are very easy to work on, so it isn't intimidating, and it makes it fun.

thanks for the information, I'll keep it in mind.

Look at it this way, learning how to work on your own ride means that you'll be all the more aware of exactly what condition your car is really in. Just remember a good service manual is your best friend, along with tools and a good friend who actually knows what he/she is doing always helps. Kinda like what i do, since I've rebuilt/customized my '76 Chevy pickup, helped dad and grandad with all the maintenance on the rest of the fleet, and we're currently working on a '66 International 1-1/2 ton truck and then comes the '31 Model A, and the '49 Plymouth, I've gone on to teach all my friends, and even my wife how to work on their cars.