Price your Cruze! OUCH!

regfootball

Only thing I'm going to say is that GM has put the cart in front of the horse.

GM thinks you can just put an improved car out there at a premium. You can't. If you want to beat the imports at their game, you need to produce a competitive car that undercuts the price of the competition for several years before you can start hiking prices.

Reputation is not just given overnight.

Only thing I'm going to say is that GM has put the cart in front of the horse.

GM thinks you can just put an improved car out there at a premium. You can't. If you want to beat the imports at their game, you need to produce a competitive car that undercuts the price of the competition for several years before you can start hiking prices.

Reputation is not just given overnight.

sort of like what Hyundai is starting to do?

Sonata Turbo for $24,145 is the way to go.

Or a 2012 Focus Titanium for $22,000.

any coincidence Ford has put the Focus pricing out now?

That's fairly disgusting.

$17,000 for the base base model with a stick and no cruise.

$19,500 to get cruise on an LT1.

$21,000 for the LT2 with cruise standard.

I'll take a 3-year-old Cobalt instead. Thanks but no thanks.

no power mirrors on the LS either. Apparently GM does not feel power mirrors are important to you or benefit your safety, Mr. Customer. Perhaps Mr. Reuss can explain why.

Edited by regfootball

sort of like what Hyundai is starting to do?

I have no intention of buying a Hyundai now or ever. I am not a Hyundai fanboy and I generally hate their cars.

That said, Hyundai has studied and improved upon the Toyota/Honda business plan. Hyundai is doing EXACTLY what they need to do to build the business. And yeah, Chevy needs to fight Hyundai like Hyundai fights. You don't bring a knife to a gun fight.

I have no intention of buying a Hyundai now or ever. I am not a Hyundai fanboy and I generally hate their cars.

That said, Hyundai has studied and improved upon the Toyota/Honda business plan. Hyundai is doing EXACTLY what they need to do to build the business. And yeah, Chevy needs to fight Hyundai like Hyundai fights. You don't bring a knife to a gun fight.

Bingo on Chevy fighting like Hyundai fights, my friend.

exactly. i don't think anyone really wants to buy a hyundai, but the thing is they are making a lot of the right moves.

I went to the Chevy website and priced the Cruze I would want and it came out to $20,955 sticker. It is a 2011 Cruze 1LT, Imperial Blue metallic, 16 inch wheels, connectivity package, RS package, Pioneer audio system, 1.4L ecotec and 6 speed automatic.

I guess its not all that bad really, A 2010 Cobalt with simular equipment would have been around 19,500. now do I spend another 2 grand and get a Malibu? I am going to have to look at both and drive them back to back. I think there is a rebate on the Malibu which might put them very close in price. Might even take a look at a Equinox but I think I am going to stick with a sedan. this new car will be replacing a 2006 pontiac G6 GT which is going to my girlfriend. right now we have 4 vehicles, a 2010 Camaro LS, 2006 Pontiac G6 GT, 2000 Venture minivan and a 2003 Cavalier. thinking about selling the last two and replacing them with the new one, I really dont need three cars for myself. so ill keep the camaro and the new one, and my g/f will take the pontiac.

yeah I bought a few of them. I currently have a 2003 Cavalier just to drive to work/extra car. just hit 117,000 miles today. it still never lets me down. people rag on the Cavaliers, but tell you what I owned FIVE of them. 96 coupe, 97 convertible, 98 coupe, 04 coupe, and the 03 sedan that I currently own. I never had any problems with any of them. I am going to give my 2006 Pontiac G6 to my girlfriend and I am going to buy a new car in January. I like the Cruze but seems like I can get a Malibu or even a Regal for not much more money. Last time I was getting an oil change I looked at a new Regal. it was $26,000 and it was fully loaded with leather and everything. Id be happy to pay 2 Grand more for a Regal.

Yep. Very true. I've had five as well....now just down to her 03 and my 04. Good cars.

I like the regal myself....

exactly. i don't think anyone really wants to buy a hyundai, but the thing is they are making a lot of the right moves.

The Sonata is now the #3 selling car in the country behind Camry and Accord, and it almost outsold the Accord last month. And that was before the turbo or hybrid went on sale. So it seems plenty of people do want to buy them.

With compacts, $25k is now about the bottom line for anything decently equipped.

When I got my VW brand new in January of 2008, it was approximately $17,500 on the sticker.

It inluded power mirrors with defrost, air con, 6 airbags, CD player with MP3 capability and MP3 player jack, power locks, windows with pinch protection, electro-hydraulic power steering, remote entry, ability to lower and raise windows via key in door cylinder, 16" alloy wheels, 4-wheel DISC antilock brakes, traction control, electronic locking differential, fully independent front strut, rear multilink suspension, excellent interior materials and construction, comfortable seats, fantastic practicality with its hatch and 60/40 folding rear bench seat, and a fun-to-drive and peppy nature if not particularly efficient due to its 170hp/177lb-ft 5-cylinder... on average 28 mpg; personal best of 34 mpg.

Basically EVERYTHING but fog lamps, heated seats, and moonroof all for what I would consider a very good asking price.

The Cruze in only about 2 1/2 years seems strangely more expensive to me for less goods.

When I got my VW brand new in January of 2008, it was approximately $17,500 on the sticker.

It inluded power mirrors with defrost, air con, 6 airbags, CD player with MP3 capability and MP3 player jack, power locks, windows with pinch protection, electro-hydraulic power steering, remote entry, ability to lower and raise windows via key in door cylinder, 16" alloy wheels, 4-wheel DISC antilock brakes, traction control, electronic locking differential, fully independent front strut, rear multilink suspension, excellent interior materials and construction, comfortable seats, fantastic practicality with its hatch and 60/40 folding rear bench seat, and a fun-to-drive and peppy nature if not particularly efficient due to its 170hp/177lb-ft 5-cylinder... on average 28 mpg; personal best of 34 mpg.

Basically EVERYTHING but fog lamps, heated seats, and moonroof all for what I would consider a very good asking price.

The Cruze in only about 2 1/2 years seems strangely more expensive to me for less goods.

But you're not going to be able to do that kind of setup again on a Jetta anymore either.

You mean before everyone realized they needed a small car?

gosh, adding the 'paint sealant' and 'fabric protection' would put it over 20k though! lol

so its actually cheaper to add that stuff accessory than prepackaged at the factory? at least its available.

that's only the 2 door though...?

Funny story... 4 door Golf is the only one without a standard (or available) manual transmission, thus, it puts it over $20k. In that way, no, you cannot get a automatic Golf with blue-tooth and alloys for under $20k while you can in the Cruze. However, as with the new Jetta, that also sticks you with inferior material quality, torsion beam suspension, rear drum brakes, trunk hinges, etc. Oh, and 170 hp vs. 138 hp, I might add. The Golf is still in another world compared to the rest of its compact competition (which, it really doesn't have, hatchback-wise).

With Alloys?

I forgot the alloy part - if included - the same as BV's configuration w./ blue tooth, which I think now is std. for 2011.

The 2010 do not have the 16" wheels, which were cheap IIRC. They added only $400 odd to the 15" steelies.

I forgot the alloy part - if included - the same as BV's configuration w./ blue tooth, which I think now is std. for 2011.

The 2010 do not have the 16" wheels, which were cheap IIRC. They added only $400 odd to the 15" steelies.

Yeah, they stopped offering alloys as a cheap factory option on the Golf. The $1,000+ price for 17s are for port-installed accessory wheels, which are always pricey. Best to find a set off eBay or something.

Someone earlier said "hmm maybe better to get an Avenger with rebates".

Well, any car that needs rebates will get poor resale, and the Avenger is poorly rated for quality and resale value. And it is dumped into fleets, so when trading in, will get peanuts.

New cars are not a right, but a privilege. Detroit 3 lost billions with all the rebated, tacky cars. So the idea that the Cruze should be like a Cavalier or Avenger, cheaply made, with rebates built into the MSRP is poor business practices.

Edited by Chicagoland

I just test drove a 2011 Cruze LS sedan today with the 1.8L ecotech, 6 speed auto. I was impressed with it for the most part. rode nice but it wasnt all that fast. but still decent. I guess because my other cars are a 06 pontiac G6 GT and a 10 Camaro LS. I am thinking of leasing one. Im giving the Pontiac to my girlfriend.. just cant decide which color I want. The lease price isnt bad at all. $179.00 a month for 39 months with 1,200 down. almost bought the one I drove but I wasnt too crazy about the light blue the only one they currently have in stock.

I look forward to test driving the turbo

Turbo would help things. Wifes box has 145.000 miles on it, and I know I'm going to have to bite the bullet and bite a car in a year or two. Thinking Focus for one of the cars I'm going to have to buy, but a Turbo + Onstar would help push things into the Chevrolet camp

Why does not Cruze come with manual transmission on Turbo? What if I do not want the Eco and the LTZ/RS packages with a manual transmission? It is kinda oxymoron to have RS package without a manual transmission.

When is Eco supposed to be out?

A Caliber top trim with all options comes to 23,275, no rebates. But I got a Civic EX-L with Navigation up to 32,696. :blink: My Cruze was 26,780.

On KBB, a 2010 Cobalt loaded was Certified Pre-Owned (CPO) rated at 15,815 while a loaded Civic is rated at 22,600. Both would represent a 10K depreciation in 1 year. I doubt the Cruze will avoid similar depreciation.

However, I would like to point out that all of these vehicles represent a tiny amount of small car sales from any brand. These are customers who either want nothing but a small car, or consider interior appointments the most important factor in buying a car (my wife is a great example of this). For every one car like this, they sell hundreds of mid-priced models.

A nice 1LT popularly equipped is 19,915, a Civic LX-S 20,417. A Caliber "Mainstreet" :palm: is 19,895. So in the trim where sales are going to be very high, Cruze appears to be very competitive.

A nice 1LT popularly equipped is 19,915, a Civic LX-S 20,417. A Caliber "Mainstreet" :palm: is 19,895. So in the trim where sales are going to be very high, Cruze appears to be very competitive.

1Lt is what I am thinking if we get a Cruze. Saw a car carrier going by with Cruze loaded on, and also one with the new Jettas. Can live with the exterior styling of either....

Chris

Now go price out any KIA Forte SX .... add every option you can find. You didn't come up with an under powered over priced putt putt Cruze.

Just another "TURD" like the north American Astra.

Edited by RjION

Why does not Cruze come with manual transmission on Turbo? What if I do not want the Eco and the LTZ/RS packages with a manual transmission? It is kinda oxymoron to have RS package without a manual transmission.

When is Eco supposed to be out?

There really isn't much of a cost bump for Eco. They could have left off the Eco badge, different wheels, and fascia changes and you really wouldn't notice.

The Eco is really just the manual transmission turbo with a few extra tweeks to get them to the 40mpg number.

I drove a Cruze 1LT on Friday with the 1.4L turbo and 6-speed. It drove quite well. I really liked the interior as a whole, pretty nice materials for the price, seats were very good, very roomy too. I could fit pretty comfortably in the back seat after adjusting the front seat to my driving position, and I am 6' tall.

They didn't have a 1.8L model to compare, but the general manager said that it is noisier than the 1.4L.

My only complaints is that the transmission seemed to shift a very often when decelerating, and I thought that the shifting could have been less noticeable/smoother. Pickup was surprisingly good and the car feels quite solid. There was another 1LT that was sold (they only had 2) that was almost exactly $1k more and added leather, heated seats, and alloys vs. the cloth seats (not heated) and steel wheels on the model I drove. I would definitely spend the extra $1k for what you get. Unfortunately I was not able to drive it because it was sold.

I looked at an LS on a lot yesterday. COuldn't get into it, but i could immediately tell that the two tone interior is much nicer than the flat gray of the one I sat in. It looked really snazzy through the glass.

But still, that rear seat is not good at initial impression. the dip$h! who parked the car had both of the front seats back far and there was no way by sight to envision a leg fitting in there. When i did the sit in front, set the seat and get in back test, i had problems getting back there and it felt way too tight. There is no excuse for chevy not making at least 2 more inches of leg room back there. 'epic fail' if you want rear space, i don't think the cruze is your car.

• Agree 1
  • Disagree 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...