Cars that bring back memories, WHY?

Ever see a certain car and flash-back to vivid memories...maybe good or bad?

1978-80 Grand Prix:

My "real" dad and his second wife had a 1978 GP....all I remember is sticky vinyl seats in the hot Florida sun.

-

My first car was a 1979 GP, which was a hand-me-down from Mom....bought new. Lots of childhood memories and later, beginner driver memories formed there. Had my first car wreck in it. Learned how to do burnouts and slide sideways in it. Insane, youthful, indestructible feelings.

-

My great Grandma had a base 1980 GP. Lots of memories of going places with her when I was a kid. Lots of trips through the Jack-in-the Box drive-thru.

-

So when I see any of this generation GP out on the road (very rare nowadays) I feel rather emotional... and cannot help but smile.

'66 Chevelle Malibu SS in Marina Blue... first car I have a memory of. Mom got it in the divorce. First car accident for me, I remember standing up on the front seat, then *BOOM* I was looking up from the floor under the dash after she hit the back end of a parked 50's Cadillac. I guess I was barely 3. Marina Blue is a popular color for these at car shows, so I see one from time to time.

'73 Pontiac B-body sedan, especially a Catalina. Very special memories for me because my grandfather gave his to me for my first car. These are rare as hen's teeth these days.

'81-'87 Grand Prix. My first new car, silver/black landau top/red vinyl buckets. Another gift from grandfather. Grew to hate it then (lots of driveability problems with first-year engine computer), have fonder memories of it now.

'75-'78 Imperial/New Yorker Brougham. Grandfather's last Chrysler in a long line. He loved his '77 NYB.

'89 Caprice Classic Brougham LS, grandfather's last car. He never was a Chevy man, I always was (from dad's side of the family). I believe he bought it as an inheritance gift to me. He passed away that year, and the car was used to shuttle my grandmother to and from the grocery store and the doctor's office. She went into a nursing home, and I agreed to sell the car toward her care there.

Sheesh, sorry for the novella.

1981-87 Olds Cutlass Supreme 2-door. Esp. two tone blue.

Was supposed to be my first car untill my dad junked it fomr some ridiculously minor failed repair... I was sooo mad. Sure it was an auto and only a 3800 but it had potential.

1987 Mercury Cougar XR-7

After my parent's gave me their almost new 1994 Pontiac Sunbird do drive in 1996 after I got my license I put on like 20,000 miles on the Pontiac, then I got the hand-me-down Achieva after said Sunbird was traded on a Grand Am and finally in college I got a gently used 1987 Cougar RX7 (with 87,000 miles) in ruby red wiht two tone gray on the bottom half of the car.

It was my first real car. Registered, insured and titeled to me. I kept bitching and bitching about it because I had pu$$ied out and bought a non-GM. Esp. a Ford. But after buying it for $925 (from my employer Bill DeLuca Chevy/Pontiac) driving it for like a year & a half it got totalled and I got $1750 form my insurance company. Not bad eh?

In any case the sight of the car all smashed up when a girl drove up my driveway & sideswiped it tail to nose was a sad one.

The second it was towed away on a flatbed I knew I'd miss that car years to come. I had a lot of good times in that car. It had good Karma too. In the 17 or so months I had it I learned how to really drive a RWD V8 powered car.

If I win the lottery I'll buy one in mint condition, loved that digital dash! :lovey:

Edited by Sixty8panther

• 2 weeks later...

Disclaimer: Yeah, I know I'm a bit late ... was offline a couple weeks because of computer and other issues ... slowly "catching up" ... sorta.

Ever see a certain car and flash-back to vivid memories...maybe good or bad?

Oh hecka yes. Just about every time I see any of my cars ... or pictures of older cars. Too many memories to even begin to name.

BUT...it's just like songs ... songs and cars "remember when" ... at least, imho.

Cort, "Mr MC" / "Mr Road Trip", 32swm/pig valve/pacemaker

MC:family.IL.guide.future = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort/

Models.HO = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort/trainroom.html

chdQB = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort/quilt.html

"We all have a song that somehow touched our lives" ... Kenney Chesney ... 'I Go Back'

I've got two actually. The first one is my currently undriveable 1976 Chevy pickup. It was built on March 3rd 1976, sold on April 20 1976 to my granddad in Evergreen, Alabama, driven as a farm/work truck until February 1993 when it was "sold" to my dad for $100. My dad drove the truck as his work truck until July 1995 when the company he worked for gave him his own work truck and it was parked. January of 1999 my dad "sold" the truck to me for $100. By August of 2000 the truck was ready to drive, recieving a steady $5500 of paint, body, engine, stereo, and interior work to make it mine. Since then I have rebuilt the engine and then the differential suddenly decides it no longer likes me after 30 years of faithful service and 212,000 miles. (sheesh, I got a little long-winded, didn't I?) The second is the first car I really remember and that was my parents 1986 Chevrolet Celebrity wagon....2.8L V6, a faithful car, never had any problems, we sold it for $1500 to our nextdoor neighbor for her son's first car (it was going to be mine, but I convinced my mom and dad otherwise and let me have the truck). I remember the car most from the long 7-hour trips to south carolina to visit family we have there, I remember having all my toys and letting the back seat down so I could pay among the luggage and watch all the othe cars and trucks go scooting by through the windows. I also remember when my grandmother collapsed in the floor of her house after being diagnosed with breast cancer and my mom's frantic trip there.....first time i ever went over 100-mph, been fascinated with going fast since. Both of those rides bring back strong memories for me and every time I see a Celebrity I have to make sure it wasn't ours....and of course every time i see a '73-'87 C or K series Chevy or GMC I smile because I know how reliable they are and how they prove themselves day and day again.

If I win the lottery I'll buy one in mint condition, loved that digital dash! :lovey:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

My buddy had the same Cougar you were talking about. His first vehicle. I remember he picked me up. He had those big booming 12's in the trunk with this 250 watt amp. We thought we were the &#036;h&#33; listening to "Gimme That Nut" while doing 40 down a side street.

Then, we came to a road that ended and we had to go right or left. He decided (of course with my recommendation) that we go left and floor it through the construction zone.

He laid on the gas, ran that sumbitch sideways, tagged the curb, bounced off the other curb as he slid on the loose gravel all the while the CD kept playing.

The car finally came to a stop. We both looked at each other, and had the BIGGEST &#036;h&#33; eating grins on our faces.

There was another one with that car on the ice when whe decided to skip one of my 1st hour classes our Jr. year.

Man, that car was awesome.