99camaroSS

SVT RIP

12 posts in this topic

Reports are saying that Ford has axed its hi-po department SVT.

Inside Line has the skinny on something that will bring tears to the eyes of many a high-performance enthusiast... the end of SVT as we know it is close at hand. Stephen Cole Smith of Inside Line predicted such a fate for Ford's in-house skunkworks, and on on April 1, 2006 he'll be proven right.

According to Cole, as of this moment SVT's PR/marketing staff, engineering staff, dealer network, press fleet and events trailer (all exclusively dedicated to the division) have been dismantled. The 2007 Shelby Cobra-badged Mustang will be the last vehicle to be developed, start to finish, by the SVT program. If anything, Cole says, we might get a vehicle with an SVT-tuned suspension. Maybe.

http://www.autoblog.com/2006/03/08/ford-ki...erformance-div/

The Edmunds Insideline reported the same thing. They'll continue to put out the SVT Mustang but SVT is being killed... sad sad sad.

Even worse, their pushing back the mid-cycle refreshment of their products, and canceling other stuff. Again, sad sad sad. I guess it's just SRT and SS from here on out.

mid-life cycle pushed back

Edited by KaliRover

I feel bad for Hau Thai-Tang. A really talented guy getting caught up in the boneheaded, bureaucratic blunders of a company that doesn't know where they are going. So sad.

Well, one point is that only certain dealers sold SVT, while any Chevy dealer can sell an SS car. So, it is either dilute SVT and make it common at all Ford dealers, or ?

BTW, the Malibu Maxx SS is hardly a 'performance machine'.

ford is clueless

Ford IS clueless.

The '02 SVT Focus that I had for about a year was one of the best, most enjoyable cars I've owned......period.....from any manufacturer.

It really was like a poor-man's BMW.

Plus, when I sold it, I sold it for a very slight PROFIT (I got a really good deal myself to begin with when I bought it new) to a guy that drove out here to SoCal from out-of-state because he just HAD to have an SVT Focus, and he looked long and hard to find one like mine with the right options/colors/condition, etc.

How many "mainstream" domestic cars these days can you actually say THAT about...? A profit? Are you kidding me? On a Focus? It was GREAT......

Edited by The O.C.

It's sad to see SVT go, I was looking forward to seeing the Sport Trac Adrenalin. Ford is so clueless, just when the horepower wars are making a comeback, they pull the plug on their performance division. This leaves only SS and SRT...and since SS is being somewhat dilluted with lame cars like the Malibu wearing the SS badge, it leaves only SRT to find real performance cars for now.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.