Toyota Yaris: Why is toyota so stupid?

quick...saw the yaris yesterday....its not bad.  couldn't get inside of it.  interior is very nice looking, still hate the center gauges.  i expect it sell huge.....IF THEY PUT A BIGGER MOTOR IN IT...IDIOTS

I bet they could cram the Camry's 2.4L into it.....157hp, that would probably make it pretty fun, eh?

quick...saw the yaris yesterday....its not bad.  couldn't get inside of it.  interior is very nice looking, still hate the center gauges.  i expect it sell huge.....IF THEY PUT A BIGGER MOTOR IN IT...IDIOTS

Don't you ever get it? It is designed for economy, not speed and power.

Don't you ever get it?  It is designed for economy, not speed and power.

rube, you can still get economy and fun, unless your one of those who can't seem to make good things coexist together in your life. You don't have to go the extreme. Give us an engine option, leave the whizzer whiner engine for the ecoweenies, and give someone like me the 150hp or 180hp option that would actually make the car usable on more than single lane city streets and it only hurts mpg by 2-3 mpg....

the ecotec is a powerful torque rich motor than can rev and in the real world begets is users with 35mpg often, even on heavier cars like the Saturn L and Grand Ams, Ions, and Cobalts. If Toyota is so freekin great let them stuff a 150hp mill in this thing that gets 30mpg real world city and I bet you'd sell em by the bucket load.

I thought the Yaris had a nice overall interior and packaging and good looking plastic, but I still hate the center gauges and childish climate controls. The seats looked nice and supportive and chair high for efficiency. Anyone who buys an Accent or Rio over the yaris needs their head examined. The new Aveo, by the way, the interior on that one is NICE>>>>!

If I were shopping in this segment of car, I guess I would honestly just get the Yaris or use my GM card and get the new Aveo. If Toyota doesn't upgrade the motor than I would go out looking for a blower for it. I think the tuner market will be huge for this car. I could hop up the motor and put some 17's and wide rims and brake upgrade the thing and still have money left for tacos and beer.

Edited by regfootball

Sat in one at the Chicago auto show. Interior was cheap...its a sea of cheap black plastic. Other than the MPG or a toyota fetish I don't see any reason to pick this over a Fit or Aveo...let alone a low end Cobalt, Corolla, Civic, etc.

So you're basing all these judements on the fact that you saw the Yaris interior through a window and couldn't even sit in it?

rube, you can still get economy and fun, unless your one of those who can't seem to make good things coexist together in your life. You don't have to go the extreme.  Give us an engine option, leave the whizzer whiner engine for the ecoweenies, and give someone like me the 150hp or 180hp option that would actually make the car usable on more than single lane city streets and it only hurts mpg by 2-3 mpg....

the ecotec is a powerful torque rich motor than can rev and in the real world begets is users with 35mpg often, even on heavier cars like the Saturn L and Grand Ams, Ions, and Cobalts.  If Toyota is so freekin great let them stuff a 150hp mill in this thing that gets 30mpg real world city and I bet you'd sell em by the bucket load.

I thought the Yaris had a nice overall interior and packaging and good looking plastic, but I still hate the center gauges and childish climate controls.  The seats looked nice and supportive and chair high for efficiency.  Anyone who buys an Accent or Rio over the yaris needs their head examined.  The new Aveo, by the way, the interior on that one is NICE>>>>!

If I were shopping in this segment of car, I guess I would honestly just get the Yaris or use my GM card and get the new Aveo.  If Toyota doesn't upgrade the motor than I would go out looking for a blower for it.  I think the tuner market will be huge for this car.  I could hop up the motor and put some 17's and wide rims and brake upgrade the thing and still have money left for tacos and beer.

You're living in a dream world.

here's your economy car then

Posted Image

Posted Image

enjoy, i hope this works for ya in the rain, too

LOL! That car is awesome-there's someone in town who zooms around with one of those! The Yaris could be worse-it does look a bit like the previous yucky, cheap-looking Echo, better than the 2007 Aveo sedan's pictures, but I hate the tall-car thing going on in general-they're not that stylish most of the time, and I'd like a subcompact that's not frumpy (previous Hyundai Accent, Kia Rio), ridiculously cheap-looking/feeling (Rio-all), but functional and stylish, not unlike a Chevy Vega, but without all the problems.

I bet they could cram the Camry's 2.4L into it.....157hp, that would probably make it pretty fun, eh?

Sure it migth be fun, but it doens't make business sense.

I’d bet that a large majority (over 90%) of the people who buy the Yaris could care less about having that much power. The number of sales a larger engine might attract wouldn’t be worth it compared to the added engineering it would require IMO

Yes, Aygo is a joint-venture between Peugeot and Citroen-they're interesting looking A-segment/minicompact cars-I'd like to see the 2002 Jeep Treo concept come to production in that vein to-of course badged as Dodge or Chrysler (or more ideally, DeSoto) certainly not as a Jeep. I've seen pictures of the Aveo 3-door-I thought it was really ugly. Too tall, too fat, needs some Astra hatchback coupe rear roofline treatment to start.

• 1 month later...

The thing to remember about crap boxes like the Yaris and Fit is that there are buyers from countries (Europe, South America, South Asia, for example) who view even mid-size cars like the Malibu and Camry as being TOO LARGE. If all you have ever driven are little Corsas and Unos, then you move to Canada or the U.S., you will be inclined to drive what you are used to.

I have driven the Aveo many times and view it as cute. Although I would rather own one over the Smart car, which I view as a monstrosity, I would never seriously consider buying one of these tiny cars. But, then, my first car was a 1967 Dodge Polara!

My partner, on the other hand, who is Brazilian, views the Malibu as monstrous, and would rather buy an Aveo.

Go figure.

Besides, at $5 a gallon, all of these cars start to look awfully good.

i must really be out of the loop on what class leading is cause that is fugly...

to me a nice interior...

Posted Image

or

Posted Image

Nicely STYLED......

....but with some poor quality (ALOT of poor quality in Cobalt's case) plastics and materials....and subpar fit-and-finish (again, more so in Cobalt's case...)

Impala is a much better effort than Cobalt....but still suffers from really bad-looking woodgrain trim and too much hard plastic on the dash where others don't put it....