2012 Chevrolet Aveo Preview

69 posts in this topic

2012 Chevrolet Aveo Preview

By Viknesh Vijayenthiran

Editor

September 8th, 2010

comment now!

01-aveoopt.jpg

With the 2012 Chevrolet Aveo, General Motors is taking its small car destiny in its own hands, bringing its Honda Fit fighter home to North America--at least in terms of design and production. Unlike the first-generation model, which was designed largely in South Korea, the new Aveo is mostly homegrown and will be making its world debut later this month at the 2010 Paris Auto Show.

While the stylish five-door hatch loses some of the aggression of last year’s striking Aveo RS, most of the concept’s lines have been faithfully transferred to the production version.

To reflect the sporty look of its exterior, Aveo engineers have tuned the chassis for comfort but with responsiveness. Electronic power steering (EPS), Electronic stability control (ESC) and ABS brakes will be standard.

The new Aveo is longer and wider than the current model, giving it a spacious interior and cargo volume that should be among best in class. The interior gets Chevrolet’s new family styling, which sees it share much of its design with cars like the Cruze and Equinox. Blue backlighting is featured on the center console, while the whole of the front cabin is enveloped in a wraparound fascia. This can be color-coded and flows from the dash into both the driver's and front passenger’s doors. Premium features will include available USB, auxiliary-in and Bluetooth functionality.

U.S. delivered Aveos are expected to feature 1.4 and 1.6-liter four-cylinder gasoline engines, with power output ranging from about 100 to 115 horsepower. A new six-speed automatic transmission is also expected to be featured, a first for GM’s small car.

The new 2012 Chevrolet Aveo will arrive in local showrooms next year, with specifications to be released closer to launch. A new sedan variant will also join the lineup, giving the Aveo a better chance competing against the likes of the Ford Fiesta and the hatchback-only Honda Fit.

link:

http://www.thecarconnection.com/marty-blog/1049103_2012-chevrolet-aveo-preview

Not bad looking, but I don't care for the hidden rear door handle in the black piece on the door upper. That's an overdone detail on many vehicles, IMO.

Intrepidation    846

I have to say I'm a bit disappointed. The greenhouse has been toned down t be less raked out back. I don't really see why, the concept looked like it would be fine to see out of.

02-aveo.jpg

x11ch_av002.jpg

The rest of it is pretty close overall, besides the wider wheel arches and the more aggressive front fascia, things that could be changed/remedied with a production RS trim level. One big difference is that the production car looks more stubby and less proportionally balanced than the concept.

It's not bad, but the differences are enough for me to loose interest in ever wanting one.

pow    106

I prefer the more upright rear. Looks classier. Not a bad effort at all, but it's still second tier compared to mainstream brands like Opel, VW, and Ford. I'm sure the value equation will be great, though.

67impss    89

Like I said in the other post about it the grill looks dull not like the concept that was gonna eat those Fiesta's but good to see the gas door is on the proper side now :globe:

hyperv6    774

They did a good job in converting. Often the crash standards or MFG require some change but in the end they came close.

The parts that make it cheaper looking is the smaller wheels, tail lights and the rear tail pipe teatment. But both could be restored with the SS.

No matter how you see it this cat should do well and is a vast improvment over the out going Aveo.

Lets face it this is not a car that most of us have any care for and most of us are ok with it. That is doing good in my book.

Edited by hyperv6

PurdueGuy    72

Differences I see:

- lines between the body and hatch are more curvy, which took a good bit of subtle sportiness out of it

- different tail lights, lost a bit of interest/detail, but not too bad

- rear door lines are significantly different (small loss in vehicle length? would affect overall stance) (changed for larger door opening & easier entry/exit?). Again, less edgy/angular, which lost a touch of sportiness

- mirrors no longer body matching, mount differently, look more typical/cheaper

- wheels are a little more plain

- Door handles (concept door handles so rarely make production lol)

- added side signal lights in front of doors

- added rear wiper (clutters up the look a little bit, but may be a good functional addition)

- rear hatch looks flatter, again affects overall shape/stance

- lower rear facia/exhaust

- headlights (simplified, cheapened the look a little, but not bad at all IMO)

- fog light area (there was pretty much no way the show fogs would have made it, wouldn't have minded seeing something other than the typical hole filler panel + round fogs)

- front plate area in lower front grill (takes away from the look, but doesn't look too bad)

- added windshield washer nozzles on hood (not really an issue IMO)

- grill area looks just a bit shorter

Overall, it's a pretty close translation, yet IMO the details take me from thinking I'd really like one to near indifference to the car. It's worlds better than the Aveo has ever been, but it's still a small, cheap car. Hopefully the dynamics of the car make it a good small cheap car.

• Upvote 2

cavalier36    7

Im just glad the 14 inch wheels are GONE. I like this car.. If they can price it around $13,000 It might be a decent seller. It is what it is.. a commuter car or a car for teenagers. just like the Cobalt was and the Cavalier before it. I still have a Cavalier that I drive to work, its a 2003 with 116,000 miles. still runs good.

cavalier36    7

I think they should consider a 3 door hatch.. It would look sweet and could appeal to more people in thier teens/early 20's. Someone needs to do a chop of a 3 door and even a convertible. GM needs a more afforable Convertible..

dwightlooi    259

I still think that this car ought to be powered by a high tech, big displacement 3-cylinder. A DOHC-12v Direct Injection three created from the 3.0 V6 will be nice. 1.5 liters, 3-pots, 135hp.

• Upvote 1

loki    289

I still think that this car ought to be powered by a high tech, big displacement 3-cylinder. A DOHC-12v Direct Injection three created from the 3.0 V6 will be nice. 1.5 liters, 3-pots, 135hp.

...but.... that's as much power as the 1.8L ?! (sarcasm).... just a different torque curve?

smk4565    321

The picture almost makes it look like a cartoon. I see some Dodge Charger in the headlights, it is bold looking at least, that might attract some young people, but I find that boldness tacky. I think the grille is too big, that is a downside to the current Aveo, well just about everything on the current Aveo is a downside.

• Downvote 2

How about this--with that big grille, they need a chrome surround and chrome bumper trim, kind of a mini-Silverado look for an uplevel LTZ.

A 3dr would be nice...the current Aveo is available in a 3dr, just not in NA.

regfootball    234

you wouldn't want to steal the thunder of the rockin engine in the base Cruze now........

Blake Noble    146

The fog light openings are just awful. Looks like someone tried to upgrade their base-level car with AutoZone fogs and tried to fill the holes in with black Hefty bags.

Otherwise, it tried as hard as it could to stay close to the concept.

hyperv6    774

The fog light openings are just awful. Looks like someone tried to upgrade their base-level car with AutoZone fogs and tried to fill the holes in with black Hefty bags.

Otherwise, it tried as hard as it could to stay close to the concept.

GM has been using this for the fogs already with the HHR SS and Cobalr SS. It is nothing new and not one complained before.

It is something they ripped off of VW.

Edited by hyperv6

Blake Noble    146

GM has been using this for the fogs already with the HHR SS and Cobalr SS. It is nothing new and not one complained before.

Uh, no. Completely different. With the Cobalt SS, the fogs were smoothly integrated with the front fascia.

2007-Chevrolet-Cobalt-SS-Turbo-Side-Angle-1280x960.jpg

So, of course, no one complained.

Now, on the HHR SS, that element was there, but the openings didn't look horribly huge. They also added a lattice-style texture to the surround plastic.

2008-chevrolet-hhr-ss-front-view-588x441.jpg

It wasn't that bad here, so no one complained.

On the Aveo, though, the openings are massive and the smaller round fogs do not compliment the openings. The plastic doesn't seem to have much texture and when you're filling in holes that huge with that much plastic, it looks cheap. That's the point I'm trying to make.

They could make a set of production fogs that would mimic the shape of the concept car's fogs. That would take the awkwardness out of this particular detail. Maybe they'll do that with the RS model.

Yes, I know I'm nit-picking, but it just ... bothers me. I don't know why.

Edited by whiteknight

It's not just the Aveo that's doing that trick w/ the fogs...lots of car makers are putting small fog lights in large openings. Even worse are those that have those openings even when the fog lights aren't ordered. They should make the fog lights standard (or have a fascia w/o holes for the non-fog light versions) and have the fascia opening match the size of the fog light..would look cleaner than cheesy black plastic inserts.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this