Sign in to follow this  
NINETY EIGHT REGENCY

Speed 2010: Cadillac CTS-V vs Mercedes Benz E63

10 posts in this topic

Fun to watch- the V is incredible. Mercedes has a bunch of work to do- looked so squirrely in the wet handling.

I hate that he said 'GM did a great job...' tho. We've got to get people away from that.

Cadillac has definitely come a long way. Very impressive.

Mercedes is probably kicking itself for sticking with Continental as their OE supplier. It should be interesting how the Michelin wet track results will differ if it had the CTS-V's Michelin PS2s.

The battle heats up next year, when the E63 gets the S63's bi-turbo 5.5-liter 571-hp V8. Amazing how close the current naturally aspirated 6.2 motor is to the supercharged 6.2 LS9.

Even so, Mercedes underestimated its competition - the current CTS-V actually came out a year before the current E63.

I hate that he said 'GM did a great job...' tho. We've got to get people away from that.

Didn't GM put GM badges on all its cars for a while? I don't think it's going to go away.

Cadillac has definitely come a long way. Very impressive.

Mercedes is probably kicking itself for sticking with Continental as their OE supplier. It should be interesting how the Michelin wet track results will differ if it had the CTS-V's Michelin PS2s.

The battle heats up next year, when the E63 gets the S63's bi-turbo 5.5-liter 571-hp V8. Amazing how close the current naturally aspirated 6.2 motor is to the supercharged 6.2 LS9.

Even so, Mercedes underestimated its competition - the current CTS-V actually came out a year before the current E63.

I won't bash Continental so much...

I have had four sets of tires on my C55. I can say the following 1st hand:-

• Continental Conti Sport Contact 2 -- No comments; was already worn down to the studs when I got the car.
  • Michelin Pilot Sport PS2 -- most precise feeling, but worst ride quality and worst tread life (18,000 miles)
  • Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymetric -- best grip of the three wet and dry; quieter riding the the PS2, better thread life (22,000 miles)
  • Continental Extreme Contact -- Not as much grip ultimate as the F1 or PS2, but not far off; smoothest riding and as quiet as F1, very good thread life (currently at 13,500 miles and I am still at ~50% thread depth)

Didn't GM put GM badges on all its cars for a while? I don't think it's going to go away.

They did, stupidly (thankfully it was short lived, but shouldn't have happened at all).

But the practice (as opposed to saying 'Cadillac' there) is commonplace at least 25 years running now.

I agree it'll be tough to eradicate, but the recent policy by GM toward that (eliminating the 'chicklets' & separating Cadillac from the rest in marketing) are good steps going forward.

Just watched it on TV (it was on after the F1 practice this morning and tiVoed it)....fun....the CTS-v was impressive.

But they didn't cover the most important performance aspects---cupholder design, interior materials feel, fit, and finish, seat adjustability, and sound system capabilities.. :)

The CTS-V is really fast, but these were mostly straight line power tests. If the E63 gets the Turbo V8 and the M5 brings near 600 hp, it should be interesting. The CTS-V has the performance, it is build quality and features where it lags.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 3

The CTS-V is really fast, but these were mostly straight line power tests. If the E63 gets the Turbo V8 and the M5 brings near 600 hp, it should be interesting. The CTS-V has the performance, it is build quality and features where it lags.

Actually, it beats the E63, C63, M3 and M5 in the twisties too. The CTS-V with a 6-speed automatic laps Nurburgring Nordschleife faster than all of the above. Basically, compared to an E63, the CTS-V out accelerates, out brakes and out handles the German.

Edited by dwightlooi

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this