Sign in to follow this  
NINETY EIGHT REGENCY

BLASPHEMY: PANAMERA IS PORSCHE'S TOP-SELLING VEHICLE

9 posts in this topic

BLASPHEMY: PANAMERA IS PORSCHE'S TOP-SELLING VEHICLE

By Mark Kleis

When Porsche first announced that it would be producing a four-door hatchback Gran Turismo model purists around the world cried blasphemy and said it shouldn't even be considered.

Then Porsche revealed the car and even more criticism rung out, denouncing the four-door hatchback as ugly and sure to never sell. Porsche took similar grief when it announced that it would build an SUV - the Cayenne.

Now fast forward just a few short years and it looks as if the critics and purists didn't have access to the same market research as Porsche executives, who have recently released that year-to-date, the Panamera is Porsche's top-selling model in the U.S. with 4,941 sales. Which model is a close second? You guessed it, the Cayenne with 4,290 sales.

Although Panamera is king though August, Leftlane expects the heavily and fantastically redesigned Cayenne to continue an increasing sales trend for the rest of 2010, passing the Panamera by year's end as the brand's top-selling model. Cayenne trails the Panamera by 651 units thus far in 2010, but the Cayenne sold 148 more units than the four-door Panamera in August, a recent trend that should continue as the new Cayenne continues to arrive on dealer lots nationwide.

link:

http://www.leftlanenews.com/blasphemy-panamera-is-porsches-top-selling.html

SAmadei    224

I think it was more blasphemous back when an SUV was the top Porsche seller.

I figured the Panamera would sell better than the sports cars. I'm surprised it passed the Cayenne, but I guess it could have been expected.

I'm not in love with the Panamera, but years from now, I think the Panamera will appear a lot better to the haters.

regfootball    234

no, what is shows is that people with money spend money on brands, to associate themselves with whatever glamour is assigned to a brand.

an excrker who is a bmw snob today posted something on fb, it was a mini cooper electric scooter design. all jacked.

its a frickin scooter, but as long as it has the bmw brand on it, its cool! (mini)

here's the funny. last night when we went out for some dinner i parked the car. we came out after and there was a sweet old 944 parked next to me i stopped and admired for awhile. i even said to myself 'wow, this would be the perfect time for porsche to come out with an all new 944 just like the old one, with all the modern advancements it could be a real sweet car'.

Like a nice 2.4 turbo and such. the 944 is so classic.

that said, as a sedan, the panamera is awesome. it may defile the porsche name slightly but if you compare it to its competition, like the S class, 7 series, a8, etc.... I'd much rather have a panamera.

this shows the status grab the Germans are after right now. All the German manufs want to be positioned as 'elite' in the world arena....except VW wants to lead the world in sales. Yet, BMW, Merc, etc all want to put out $h!ty 3 cyl front drive BMW's, a1's, little tiny A class, and SUV's galore, so they can sell more vehicles and rake in profits off the name. This is the fashion industry.

It also shows you how practicality is of prime importance in car buying decisions. Really, 2 doors are useless for 98% of the population, and people buy SUV's to have greater cargo flexibility. It's lame to bemoan people for doing this. Why should people spend 20-50-100k on a car and not be able to get in the back seat or have the ability to get a couple shelf boards at the store? A 2 door car is actually indulgence on a stick.

so yes, people buy the cars for name only, and they still want greater comfort and utility. don't blame them for wanting comfort and utility, the question is, why can't the other brands be the vehicles they buy? The fashion part of this is what bugs me.

Croc    268

This just proves that most wealthy Americans have no automotive taste.

Bring on the posermobiles.

Please. Familiarize yourself with the product. The Cayenne is definitely the best-handling, fastest SUV on the market. It's blazing fast. One of my friends' mothers bought one, and armed with her radar detector she is the uncontested Queen of Suburbia.

I was behind a Panamera in traffic this morning..definitely a distinctive design. One thing I find odd, though, is both the Panamera and Cayenne spell out 'PORSCHE' across their rumps, while the sports cars make do with a badge...I don't recall any of the Porsche sports cars in recent history spelling out the brand in chrome across the rear...

True about the utility aspect...volume through 'practical' models like the Cayenne and Panamera is no doubt part of why Porsche got into that game..Porsche no doubt got tired of seeing potential sales lost as their customers/potential customers go to Mercedes/BMW/Audi/etc sedans and/or Land Rover/Mercedes/BMW SUVs in addition to or in place of Porsche sports cars. (as long as they were an independent mfgr this was relevant..when they are part of VW, will the need still there for the SUV and 4dr, when Audi is also in that segment?)

A 2dr anything esp. a sports car is definitely an indulgence and not a practicality-driven purchase. Nothing wrong with that, though.

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar

Z-06    493

True about the utility aspect...volume through 'practical' models like the Cayenne and Panamera is no doubt part of why Porsche got into that game..Porsche no doubt got tired of seeing potential sales lost as their customers/potential customers go to Mercedes/BMW/Audi/etc sedans and/or Land Rover/Mercedes/BMW SUVs in addition to or in place of Porsche sports cars. (as long as they were an independent mfgr this was relevant..when they are part of VW, will the need still there for the SUV and 4dr, when Audi is also in that segment?)

Slight correction, Porsche was always second or third car. The management wanted to have the customers to get Porsche as their first car too.

Slight correction, Porsche was always second or third car. The management wanted to have the customers to get Porsche as their first car too.

For some...I know some people that have a Porsche (Boxster or 911) as their only car..

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar

Nick    31

Well, while I find it to be quite ugly, it is practical in that it can seat 4, it is very luxurious and quite beautiful on the inside, and I'm sure it moves pretty well, so all in all, not much of a surprise.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this