Sign in to follow this  
NINETY EIGHT REGENCY

eBay Find of the Day: 1964 Pontiac XP833 Banshee Concept

5 posts in this topic

eBay Find of the Day: 1964 Pontiac XP833 Banshee Concept

by Zach Bowman (RSS feed) on Sep 13th 2010 at 4:56PM

You never know what you're going to find on eBay. The auction house of the interwebs routinely plays host to metal both obscure and unique – two categories the vehicle you see above satisfies without question. It's a 1964 Pontiac XP833 Banshee Concept, and while it's easy to think that the car is little more than a warmed over Corvette design, the truth is that this particular Poncho had widespread influence on General Motors design language for more than a decade.

Originally penned by none other than John Delorean, the Banshee was supposed to be a more sports-oriented competitor to the recently introduced Ford Mustang. Unfortunately, when the concept was completed, the higher-ups felt that the Banshee would threaten the Corvette throne and the project was scrapped. It's a song that would be repeated time and time again in the future.

Pieces of the Banshee design would live on in cars like the C4 Corvette and Pontiac Firebird, but the actual concepts themselves were slated for destruction. Fortunately, the studies were boxed up in shipping crates and tucked away for safe keeping, eventually sold to the GM execs who had taken part in the Banshee project. This particular example has a mere 1,500 miles on the clock and sits in its original condition. It can be yours for the right price, but with almost $50,000 on the auction and the reserve not met, it ain't gonna be cheap.

link:

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/09/13/ebay-find-of-the-day-1964-pontiac-xp833-banshee-concept/

Wow... this is one of my favorite GM prototypes... love to own it.

I hate it when people characterize this as a rip off of the future '68 Vette... when it was actually much smaller... and more like halfway between a C4 and an Opel GT. If anything, the Vette was a copy of this.

Wow... this is one of my favorite GM prototypes... love to own it.

I hate it when people characterize this as a rip off of the future '68 Vette... when it was actually much smaller... and more like halfway between a C4 and an Opel GT. If anything, the Vette was a copy of this.

They did borrow from this car for the Vette. So the Vette Ripped off the Banshee.

This is this guys yearly run on E bay. With the soft market I bet it does not sell again.

The Banshee to buy is the V8 Convertible. I writer friend of mine got to drive it and was surprised how well finished it was for a prototype.

It is amazing what they sis with a lot of A body parts under the skin.

This is SP-5, the 5th of 6 cars in the Banshee series (the convert is SP-6). Earlier cars used a multitude of pieces from Jaguar, Corvette & Avanti, but the last 2 used some A-body stuff, yes: steering box, brakes, axle and about 80% of the suspension components- obviously with an eye toward productionizing it. The bodies were outsourced outside of Fisher/GM.

I don't care for the convert- it has a giant carp mouth underneath for breathing and mild alterations in the skin- plus a tight little sports car like this needs a roof stylistically. It's sharp, yep, but the 'vette was too much like this for me to muster love over it; the vette is cool but I am burned out on it.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this