Sign in to follow this  
NINETY EIGHT REGENCY

The 2011 Chrysler 200 Is The New Sebring

35 posts in this topic

The 2011 Chrysler 200 Is The New Sebring

200teaser630.jpg

The 2011 Chrysler 200 will replace the woebegone Sebring. This refresh looks similar to theChrysler 200C, minus the fictional electric powertrain. It's being unveiled for dealers right now, none of whom will complain about losing the Sebring name.

link:

http://jalopnik.com/5637645/the-2011-chrysler-200-is-the-new-sebring

2011 Chrysler 200 sedan teased, preliminary specs revealed

by Steven J. Ewing (RSS feed) on Sep 14th 2010 at 11:01AM

These teaser images don't reveal much, but what we see are some of the finer details of the 2011 Chrysler 200 sedan, set to replace the Sebring when it hits dealerships in the fourth quarter of 2010. Chrysler is counting on the 200 to make up some of the market share that the Sebring failed to gain, and if new products like the 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee are anything to base judgments on, we fully expect the 200 to be a giant step in the right direction.

Details are slim, but we do know that the 200 will be available with a choice of two powertrains. The standard engine is Chrysler's 2.4-liter inline-four, mated to either a four- or six-speed automatic transmission, and the automaker's 3.6-liter Pentastar V6 will be available on higher-end trim levels. Rated at 283 horsepower and 260 pound-feet of torque, the Pentastar should provide more than enough grunt for Chrysler's new mid-size luxury sedan, and a six-speed auto 'box should make for relatively respectable fuel economy numbers, too.

We anticipate that Chrysler will release more images and details within the next few weeks, so stay tuned for the full raft of details. For now, hit the jump to read Chrysler's press release, and scroll through our gallery of teaser shots below.

Gallery:2011 Chrysler 200 Teaser Images

[source: Chrysler]

Show full PR text

Craftsmanship, Elegance and Value: Chrysler Brand Introduces the New 2011 Chrysler 200

September 14, 2010 , Auburn Hills, Mich. - Chrysler Group LLC today released photos of the new 2011 Chrysler 200 mid-sized sedan. Offering consumers exceptional craftsmanship inside and out, a refined and spirited driving experience, innovative technology, an abundance of standard safety features and an extraordinary level of standard content, the 2011 Chrysler 200 is an exciting alternative for customers that want style and substance, all at a surprising value.

Virtually every system in the sedan is new or upgraded for 2011, giving the Chrysler 200 its own identity and space in the highly competitive mid-size sedan segment. Exterior and sheet metal upgrades include: front and rear fascias and fenders, grille featuring the new Chrysler brand winged badge, hood, rear decklid and exterior mirrors, new projector headlamps and fog lamps, new LED taillamps and a LED center high-mounted stop light.

The Chrysler 200 gets a new powertrain lineup featuring the 2.4-liter I-4 World Gas Engine mated to either a four- or six-speed automatic transaxle, or the new Pentastar V-6 engine which produces 283 horsepower and 260 lb.-ft. of torque and is mated to a six-speed automatic transaxle; improved ride and handling tuning which includes stiffened body mounts and softer ride rate, improved suspension geometry with a raised roll center, a new rear sway bar, and new tires and an extensively upgraded treatment for the reduction of noise, vibration and harshness including acoustic laminated glass for the windshield and front door windows.

Quality materials abound in the beautifully updated new interior for 2011. Updates include a new instrument panel, bezels and gauge face, upgraded seats with a new design that incorporates more cushion material and revised spring geometry as well as new leather and cloth seating materials, new "soft touch" door trim panels, new "soft touch" armrests and dash and new heating and cooling outlets in the instrument panel with improved design and functionality.

The new 2011 Chrysler 200 provides drivers a beautifully inspired sedan that doesn't compromise safety or practicality and offers the best value in its class. The Chrysler 200 will be built at the Sterling Heights Assembly Plant in Sterling Heights, Mich. and will arrive in dealerships in the fourth quarter 2010.

link:

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/09/14/2011-chrysler-200-revealed-teaser/

regfootball    234

making decent steps.....the name change is smart (even though I thought Sebring was good, they tarnished the name with the last version of the car).

I have to admit, Chrysler I thought was toast but they are making a few smart moves with the little time and cash they have had.

Don't get me wrong, they still aren't all that and a bag of chips but I think the Fiat currency and oversight may be working.

Intrepidation    846

It'll be interesting how the new elements work with the rest of the car, but taken alone, I like the new headlight and tail light shapes and elements. The grill looks nice too. Here's hoping.

NOS2006    11

The biggest thing this car needed was a revised greenhouse, but we'll see.. I like the new revisions seen in these pictures.

ZL-1    160
It'll be interesting how the new elements work with the rest of the car, but taken alone, I like the new headlight and tail light shapes and elements. The grill looks nice too. Here's hoping.

Especially interested to see how those changes fit with that ugly Sebring greenhouse design...

Blake Noble    146

I can't help but to see a still awkward-looking sedan in my mind's eye. I can already tell the tail lamps will not be flush with the rear quarters and will instead do a Honda Accord sedan kind of thing. I'm hoping that a silk purse can still be made out of a sow's ear, but I'm also sitting my self down for a big disappointment. In any case, Fiat ultimately dun goofed by not choosing to build a production version of the actual 200C concept on reworked Challenger underpinnings.

smk4565    323

Looks like a Sebring with the headlights, grille, and tail lights reworked to look sort of like a Hyundai Sonata. LED lights doesn't fix Chrysler's horrible front drive platforms or suspensions, nor does it fix the rubbermaid plastic interiors. Chrysler is a hopeless company.

• Downvote 5

daves87rs    330

The question on my mind is how well one can polish a turd.....

THough a cozy drive, it's been pretty much a joke in the sedan market.

Smart to get the name change. I think I could be surprised though...

intrigued    9

It already feels like the new 200 is a generation behing. 4 the banger is meh and the v6 makes decent numbers but the segments is moving away from v6s. Plus the 200 concept was awsome and was a shortened RWD platform. My knee jerk reaction is fail!

Hopefully Chrysler has cancelled the Fisher-Price interior contract for all of their '11 models.

As far as the 200, I would assume they haven't fixed it's biggest styling problem (the hideous C-pillar and rear door upper) as that would be the most expensive change...

Is the convertible getting these changes and the rename also? Didn't see it mentioned..

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar

SAmadei    224

I imagine this will not turn out good. This is likely a half-ass attempt to bring the 200C concept to production, and its going to do nothing but tarnish the name.

Chrysler has something with the 300 franchise, even if its getting long in the tooth... and the 200C should inherit from that, not bring the 300 down, like this hack could do.

Depending on when a real 200C comes out, Chrysler should have just picked another name out of the hat for an interim fix. Like 'LeBaron' (though still could be linked to the past hideous LeBarons)... or 'Newport'. Sebring, a good name (Especially on a Plymouth), but not with the general public anymore, had to go.

• Upvote 1

Chrysler's replacement for Sebring sedan will be called the 200

Mike Colias

and Bradford Wernle

Automotive News -- September 14, 2010 - 11:02 am ET

Print Email Reprints

DETROIT -- Chrysler Group today said it would name its redesigned mid-sized sedan the Chrysler 200 -- the vehicle that will replace the Sebring in its lineup.

The 200 is a re-engineered, restyled version of the current Sebring.

The company showed the renamed car and several other vehicles to its dealers today at a national meeting in Orlando and said the 200 will arrive in showrooms in the fourth quarter.

The 200 will be available with Chrysler's new Pentastar V-6 engine and a six-speed automatic or with Chrysler's 2.4-liter I-4 engine mated to a four- or six-speed automatic transaxle.

The 200 also will get a stiffer body, new suspension geometry, a new rear sway bar and improved noise, vibration and harshness treatment, the company said.

As with other new vehicles in the Chrysler fleet, the 200 also gets a new interior designed to address one of the most frequently criticized areas of the existing Sebring.

Vehicle has its ‘own identity'

The company said virtually every system in the new sedan is new or upgraded from the Sebring, “giving the Chrysler 200 its own identity and space in the highly competitive mid-size sedan segment.”

The 200 takes its name from an electric-powered concept car Chrysler showed at the 2009 Detroit auto show.

Before Chrysler introduced the current version of the Sebring in late 2006, some dealers had urged the company to use the 200 name to make people think of the car as the little brother of the successful 300. But Chrysler chose to carry over the Sebring name.

At the 2010 Detroit auto show, CEO Sergio Marchionne promised Chrysler would redo the Sebring much more comprehensively than a typical midcycle face-lift.

“Whatever the new Sebring will be called, it will not be called the Sebring,” Marchionne said at the time.

Chief designer Ralph Gilles said the Sebring and its sibling, the Dodge Avenger, were “on the operating table.”

No more cheap interiors

Also speaking at the Detroit show this year, Scott Kunselman, senior vice president of engineering, said the new versions of the sedans “would resolve the flaws perceived by the public today.” Those flaws include lack of refinement, cheap interiors, clumsy handling and uncompetitive powertrains.

Chrysler introduced the current version of the Sebring in 2006 as a 2007 model. Sales peaked in 2007 at 93,130 and dropped off rapidly after that. Chrysler sold just 27,460 Sebrings in 2009.

The 200 will be manufactured at Chrysler's assembly plant in Sterling Heights, Mich., near Detroit.

Read more: http://www.autonews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20100914/OEM04/100919944/1427#ixzz0zXs8uWht

2011 Chrysler 200 Begins its Striptease, Puts the Sebring to Rest

TUESDAY, SEPTEMBER 14, 2010

Chrysler began the tease-y reveal of a few new models that are essential to its survival. Following the Fiat 500 and the facelifted Town & Country minivan, next up is the refreshed, renamed, and Sebring-replacing Chrysler 200.

For 2011 the mid-size Chrysler gets enough new stuff to earn itself a brand new name to go along with its gangsta big brother: 200. See a similarity? You should, because Chrysler has finally gotten on the ball with family names.

The car formerly known as Sebring gets "virtually every system" replaced or improved for 2011, and hopefully more than just a few styling cues from 2009's 200C concept.

Exterior improvements include the new Chrysler grille, as well as fenders, front/rear fascias, hood, mirrors and decklid. From that list, it sounds as if all that's carrying over are the roof and doors, items the Sebring didn't make ugly.

Projector headlights and fog lamps round out the upgrades in front, while LEDs are incorporated out back in the taillights and third brake light.

Under the hood, the Sebring will finally compete with other modern players in the segment. The 2.4 liter engine still trudges on with a base 4-speed automatic (tsk, tsk), but also gains a 6-speed automatic as an option. To make up for that fleet-friendly 4-speed automatic, the big engine option in the 200 - likely standard in a highline 200C - will be a 283-horsepower / 260 lb-ft Pentastar V6 mated to a 6-speed automatic.

Ride quality and comfort should be drastically improved by using a new suspension geometry, rear sway bar, laminated glass (windshield and front doors), and "stiffened body mounts and softer ride rate." Inside, consumers can expect to see new seats, a dash/instrument panel with snazzier bezels / gauges / vents, and plenty of soft-touch surfaces.

The 2011 Chrysler 200 will be built at the company's Sterling Heights Assembly Plant in Sterling Heights, Michigan and should be on dealer lots by the fourth quarter of this year. Expect more news as it becomes available.

link:

http://carscoop.blogspot.com/2010/09/2011-chrysler-200-begins-its-striptease.html

ocnblu    733

Now I want to see the convertible.

CHRYSLER OFFICIALLY REPLACES SEBRING WITH 2011 200 SEDAN

By Drew Johnson

Officially ending the Sebring era, Chrysler has announced the launch of the 200 mid-size sedan for the 2011 model year. The Sebring-replacing 200 sedan will arrive in Chrysler dealers before the end of the year.

Although largely based on the current Sebring model, Chrysler says the new 200 features “exceptional craftsmanship inside and out, a refined and spirited driving experience, innovative technology, an abundance of standard safety features and an extraordinary level of standard content.”

From the images released, we can clearly see the 200 will sport all-new front and rear fascias, although it appears as though the profile of the Sebring will live on.

Underhood, the 200 will come standard with a 2.4L four-cylinder, backed by either a four-speed or six-speed automatic transmission. Chrysler’s new 3.6L V6 will also be on offer – hooked to a six-speed auto – generating 283 horsepower and 260 lb-ft of torque.

Chrysler says the 200’s driving dynamics are vastly improve, thanks to stiffer body mounts, a softer ride rate, revised suspension geometry, a new rear sway bar and upgraded tires.

The 200 will be produced at Chrysler’s Sterling Heights Assembly Plant and is scheduled to arrive in dealers sometime during the fourth quarter.

link:

http://www.leftlanenews.com/chrysler-200.html

2011 Chrysler 200 sedan teased, preliminary specs revealed

by Steven J. Ewing (RSS feed) on Sep 14th 2010 at 11:01AM

These teaser images don't reveal much, but what we see are some of the finer details of the 2011 Chrysler 200 sedan, set to replace the Sebring when it hits dealerships in the fourth quarter of 2010. Chrysler is counting on the 200 to make up some of the market share that the Sebring failed to gain, and if new products like the 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee are anything to base judgments on, we fully expect the 200 to be a giant step in the right direction.

Details are slim, but we do know that the 200 will be available with a choice of two powertrains. The standard engine is Chrysler's 2.4-liter inline-four, mated to either a four- or six-speed automatic transmission, and the automaker's 3.6-liter Pentastar V6 will be available on higher-end trim levels. Rated at 283 horsepower and 260 pound-feet of torque, the Pentastar should provide more than enough grunt for Chrysler's new mid-size luxury sedan, and a six-speed auto 'box should make for relatively respectable fuel economy numbers, too.

We anticipate that Chrysler will release more images and details within the next few weeks, so stay tuned for the full raft of details. For now, hit the jump to read Chrysler's press release, and scroll through our gallery of teaser shots below.

[source: Chrysler]

Show full PR text

Craftsmanship, Elegance and Value: Chrysler Brand Introduces the New 2011 Chrysler 200

September 14, 2010 , Auburn Hills, Mich. - Chrysler Group LLC today released photos of the new 2011 Chrysler 200 mid-sized sedan. Offering consumers exceptional craftsmanship inside and out, a refined and spirited driving experience, innovative technology, an abundance of standard safety features and an extraordinary level of standard content, the 2011 Chrysler 200 is an exciting alternative for customers that want style and substance, all at a surprising value.

Virtually every system in the sedan is new or upgraded for 2011, giving the Chrysler 200 its own identity and space in the highly competitive mid-size sedan segment. Exterior and sheet metal upgrades include: front and rear fascias and fenders, grille featuring the new Chrysler brand winged badge, hood, rear decklid and exterior mirrors, new projector headlamps and fog lamps, new LED taillamps and a LED center high-mounted stop light.

The Chrysler 200 gets a new powertrain lineup featuring the 2.4-liter I-4 World Gas Engine mated to either a four- or six-speed automatic transaxle, or the new Pentastar V-6 engine which produces 283 horsepower and 260 lb.-ft. of torque and is mated to a six-speed automatic transaxle; improved ride and handling tuning which includes stiffened body mounts and softer ride rate, improved suspension geometry with a raised roll center, a new rear sway bar, and new tires and an extensively upgraded treatment for the reduction of noise, vibration and harshness including acoustic laminated glass for the windshield and front door windows.

Quality materials abound in the beautifully updated new interior for 2011. Updates include a new instrument panel, bezels and gauge face, upgraded seats with a new design that incorporates more cushion material and revised spring geometry as well as new leather and cloth seating materials, new "soft touch" door trim panels, new "soft touch" armrests and dash and new heating and cooling outlets in the instrument panel with improved design and functionality.

The new 2011 Chrysler 200 provides drivers a beautifully inspired sedan that doesn't compromise safety or practicality and offers the best value in its class. The Chrysler 200 will be built at the Sterling Heights Assembly Plant in Sterling Heights, Mich. and will arrive in dealerships in the fourth quarter 2010.

link:

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/09/14/2011-chrysler-200-revealed-teaser/

Intrepidation    846

I can't help but to see a still awkward-looking sedan in my mind's eye. I can already tell the tail lamps will not be flush with the rear quarters and will instead do a Honda Accord sedan kind of thing. I'm hoping that a silk purse can still be made out of a sow's ear, but I'm also sitting my self down for a big disappointment. In any case, Fiat ultimately dun goofed by not choosing to build a production version of the actual 200C concept on reworked Challenger underpinnings.

There wouldn't have been time to get an all new model out that soon. Better they do what they can with the current car so it has at least a chance, than let it rot for a few more years while the replacement is being developed.

Sebring swap: Chrysler will call its 2011 sedan the 200

By GREG MIGLIORE

The Chrysler Sebring will get a fresh start late this year as it relaunches with a new name, the 200, and considerable upgrades to the engines, sheetmetal and interior.

The 200 gets a new grille with a prominent Chrysler badge, new fascia front and rear, projector headlamps and fog lamps and LED taillights.

The new engines to be offered are Chrysler's Pentastar V6 that will make 283 hp and 260 lb-ft of torque, which is slightly detuned from its uses in the Jeep Grand Cherokee and Dodge Charger, and a 2.4-liter four-cylinder from Fiat's global engine bin. The V6 is paired with a six-speed automatic transaxle, and the I4 uses that gearbox or a four-speed.

The chassis has been extensively reworked for a softer ride, and the cabin materials are upgraded with new soft-touch materials and a fresh instrument panel. The car will be assembled in Sterling Heights, Mich.

The 200 name comes from Chrysler's not-too-distant past. It was a concept at the 2009 Detroit auto show, called the 200C, and it used electric power.

As the name implies, the 200 slots in Chrysler's lineup below the flagship 300, which is being updated along with its Dodge Charger sibling this year.

Read more: http://www.autoweek.com/article/20100914/CARNEWS/100919940#ixzz0zYm045Ct

Blake Noble    146

There wouldn't have been time to get an all new model out that soon. Better they do what they can with the current car so it has at least a chance, than let it rot for a few more years while the replacement is being developed.

For Chrysler's sake, I really hope they've made a silk purse. Otherwise, if we finally do get a production 200 concept in the next few years, it's going to be hard for the next car to break ground. If the worse-case scenario plays out, then it would have actually been better for the Sebring to die a slow, de-contented death rather than spending some cash to buy a new wardrobe.

Edited by whiteknight

regfootball    234

rather impressive v6 powertrain, right when the v6 is being legislated out. BUT, perhaps this becomes an ADVANTAGE?

(by advantage, i was not insinuating that 3/4 of the 2011 production was going to be purchased by advantage rent a car)

this could end up being one of the few midsizers that has a high production mix of v6's. could this be a v6 bargain?

Chrysler. The teetering Sergio Marchionne-led Chrysler announced Tuesday to its dealers in Orlando, Florida, that the replacement for its mid-size Sebring sedan will be called the Chrysler 200, and then promptly released tease photos to the media that - despite touting the "all-new" aspect of the car - looked suspiciously like the old one. Uh-oh, Kemo Sabe, smells suspiciously like a heaping, steaming bowl of Not Good to us.

Chrysler 200 to take on midsize sedans, replace Sebring

Automaker vans redone

BY GREG GARDNER

FREE PRESS BUSINESS WRITER

Chrysler is betting 200 will be the number that pays off big in the midsize sedan market.

The Chrysler 200 is the name that will replace the much-maligned Sebring, and about 1,800 dealers gathered Tuesday in Orlando saw it as a way to compete with Ford Fusion, Chevrolet Malibu, Toyota Camry and Honda Accord.

"It's definitely an import buster, and there will also be a really attractive convertible of it," Dan Frost, owner of Southfield Chrysler-Jeep-Dodge, said of the 200.

The 200 and Avenger will be produced at the company's Sterling Heights assembly plant. They both feature significant styling changes and extensive reworking of their interiors. They also will offer Chrysler's new 3.6-liter Pentastar engine as an option for those who want better performance.

But Chrysler won't bring completely redesigned midsize sedans to market until 2013. That's when it plans to introduce at least two models that share the structure of Fiat's C-EVO group of midsize cars and crossovers.

CEO Sergio Marchionne said Tuesday more than half of Chrysler's vehicles will be built on Fiat-derived underbodies by 2014.

After several years of weak sales, Chrysler midsize sedans have recovered this year. Through the first eight months of 2010, Sebring sales rose 81% and Dodge Avenger sales are up 50% from a year earlier. While Chrysler doesn't report how many of those sales were to car rental companies and corporate fleets, market analysts say such fleet sales are a major factor in both models' improved sales.

But Wednesday was a day for showing dealers new and better vehicles for each of Chrysler's four brands.

"They've really addressed some shortcomings in the product lineup," said Mike Maroone, president of AutoNation, the large retailer. "They went after fuel economy, and quality interiors."

In addition to the 200 and Avenger, dealers saw all-new versions of the Chrysler 300 luxury sedan and Dodge Charger, the Dodge Durango SUV and upgraded interiors of the Jeep Compass, Patriot and Dodge Nitro.

Chrysler and Dodge have revised their minivans. Frost said the Chrysler Town & Country will be positioned as a classic family hauler, while the Dodge Grand Caravan will be sold as more of a crossover model.

The biggest contributors to Chrysler's quest to be profitable in the next year will be the 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee, which has been on sale since July, and the Durango, which is to be shipped to dealers in the last two months of the year.

Read more: Chrysler 200 to take on midsize sedans, replace Sebring | freep.com | Detroit Free Press http://www.freep.com/article/20100915/BUSINESS01/9150312/1210/business01/Chrysler-200-to-take-on-midsize-sedans#ixzz0zbkmArBe

Blake Noble    146

Huh. Is it just me or do the door skins look slightly revised?

sebring-car.jpg

Not only that, but if the finished product comes out similar to this rendering, I won't bitch that much:

2011-chrysler-sebring-car.jpg

However, I hope they've ditched the character line on the top of the front-quarter panels. Fanciful thinking I guess, but I think it would help to further reduce how busy the old Sebring used to be and help the 200 look cleaner and upscale.

Additionally, there is no excuse for the black D-pillar trim hanging around. You don't have to change the entire glasshouse to get that little piece of crap off of there. This was one thing people bitched about quite a lot when the Sebring first came out and I'm a bit annoyed that no one at Chrysler listened.