Sign in to follow this  
NINETY EIGHT REGENCY

Canada's New Trick: Pavement Patty Kiddie Speed Bumps

13 posts in this topic

Canada's New Trick: Pavement Patty Kiddie Speed Bumps

By Anthony Alaniz

September 14th, 2010

In a disturbing, but awesomely funny display of depth perception, Canada is taking a very low-tech approach to help deter speeders near the Ecole Pauline Johnson Elementary School in West Vancouver, Canada.

Officials have a new way to get people to step on the brakes--by painting an image of a child playing in the middle of the road.

The two-dimensional characters even have the perfectly chosen name of "Pavement Patty."

While it's a great idea to help drivers slow down--not to mention saving your car’s suspension--it could have some unplanned repercussions. About 100 feet from the image, an optical illusion takes effect. As a driver approaches the image, the character suddenly seems three-dimensional--and anyone who is driving the recommended speed of 18 mph should have plenty of time to slow down or stop, before truly making a Pavement Patty. If they're paying attention, no problem. if not? Plan for some late braking ahead, Canadians.

On the other hand, there is some concern that drivers will become used to the visual speed bumps and that they may lead to more pedestrian accidents. But David Dunne of the British Columbia Automobile Association Traffic Safety Foundation said, "People tune out. It takes an attitude shift for people to change.

People should easily be able to tell the difference between the image and a real child, he added.

"If a driver can't respond to this appropriately, that person shouldn't be driving, and that's a whole different problem."

The lesson for today: the next time you're in West Vancouver, Canada, make sure you think twice before ignoring the fake little girl playing in the road.

link:

http://www.motorauthority.com/blog/1049343_canadas-new-trick-pavement-patty-kiddie-speed-bumps

SAmadei    224

Dumbest idea ever.

My runner-up dumbest idea:

I don't understand why we're letting children out in the street in the first place... so lets start requiring pedestrians to have some responsibility... license them and require children to be with an adult to cross the road.

Make it illegal for children to cross the street and you'll eliminate runaways. Think about the children!

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Dumbest idea ever.

My runner-up dumbest idea:

I don't understand why we're letting children out in the street in the first place... so lets start requiring pedestrians to have some responsibility... license them and require children to be with an adult to cross the road.

Make it illegal for children to cross the street and you'll eliminate runaways. Think about the children!

Yes...parental units need to keep their children on a leash when they are out of the house... I don't let my dogs out in the street, I walk them on leashes..why not the same w/ children? :)

SAmadei    224

Yes...parental units need to keep their children on a leash when they are out of the house... I don't let my dogs out in the street, I walk them on leashes..why not the same w/ children? :)

I was just thinking... The Invisible Electric Fence for children... LOL... Zap!

Oh hold on, I hear Child Protective Services knocking...

FAPTurbo    1,080

Yeah! Let's just train already retarded Vancouver drivers to ignore children on the road! Pretty soon, a real kid is going to get a a fender massage and the driver's going to sue everyone because they thought the child was just painted on the road. Or some moron who is speeding is going to see it, panic, and then swerve into oncoming traffic.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pN_05lru9hQ

• Upvote 1

Yeah! Let's just train already retarded Vancouver drivers to ignore children on the road! Pretty soon, a real kid is going to get a a fender massage and the driver's going to sue everyone because they thought the child was just painted on the road. Or some moron who is speeding is going to see it, panic, and then swerve into oncoming traffic.

I'm sure that some drivers would see it and speed up...

Exactly what I was thinking...

Cory Wolfe    263

Little old Maggie McGee is driving along, quietly, as she does every day on her way to church in her little Ford Festiva. Suddenly, she sees a girl on the road and she slams the brakes! *Bang* John Johnson, a middle-aged accountant, is on his way to a last-minute meeting and he's late. He swerves in and out of traffic in his BMW 330iS, laying on the horn with one hand, flipping the bird with the other. This works for a few miles until the road narrows into a single lane. He hits the gas in a last ditch effort to get in front of as much traffic as he can. He makes the final swerve and comes up on a little blue car... He drops his phone, and fiddles on the floor to find it. *Bang* ...As the smoke clears, and the airbag gasses dissipate, he gets out and starts cussing out the "dick" who brake checked him. He storms up to this little blue car, nearly crushed like a soda can, to a little old lady inside. "What's the big idea you f@#king ####?!" She coughs up a spit of blood and cries "Th... th..the... girl... I... did..didnt want to.... " and she lays her head down on her last breath.

This could happen. And I have no life for writing it. :P

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this