Sign in to follow this  
NINETY EIGHT REGENCY

EXCLUSIVE: Marchionne shows of 2012 Dodge Viper at dealer meeting

14 posts in this topic

EXCLUSIVE: Marchionne shows of 2012 Dodge Viper at dealer meeting

by Damon Lavrinc (RSS feed) on Sep 15th, 2010 at 2:56PM

At yesterday's Chrysler dealer conference, the Pentastar people publicly revealed new or updated products from Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep and Fiat. But there was more on stage than just a facelifted Town & Country and a federalized Fiat 500.

Towards the end of his remarks, Chrysler Group and Fiat CEO Sergio Marchionne pulled a Steve Jobs-style "one more thing," and onto the stage rolled the 2012 Dodge Viper. According to our sources, the design was all-new, complete with an aggressive greenhouse and fresh, angular sheetmetal.

Chrysler has already confirmed that the next Viper is on its way in two years' time, but showing it off this early is a clear indication that work is well underway. There's still some debate about what powertrain will be fitted to the thoroughly updated Viper, but early reports indicate that the same 8.4-liter V10 could carry on, possibly with the inclusion of Fiat's MultiAir technology to reduce emissions and boost output over 700 horsepower. An entry-level V8 option is a possibility, and there's little doubt that Dodge is tapping Ferrari's engineers to advise on everything from handling to steering and stability control systems.

Another supposed cameo at the event was a Jeep pickup, similar to the Gladiator concept, however, we've yet to confirm its attendance or any serious production plans. But for the time being, we're content with the knowledge that Dodge's next supercar is in the wings and we'll being seeing it in person within the next several months.

LINK:

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/09/15/exclusive-marchionne-shows-of-2012-dodge-viper-at-dealer-meetin/

Reports say this new Viper has a full leather-wrapped interior...

GM/Chevy shuld pay attention to that in defining how the NG Corvette's interior will be. IMHO.

I feel like they probably will. Corvette's interior is designed currently and I believe GM should be in the quoting process to source it right now, but I can't confirm that.

Reports say this new Viper has a full leather-wrapped interior...

While that's nice, that's the least of my interests. I'm far more interested in the prospect of the V10 living on and getting some new tech and a horsepower bump.

While that's nice, that's the least of my interests. I'm far more interested in the prospect of the V10 living on and getting some new tech and a horsepower bump.

Well they do say that the 8.4L V10, in its current form, is good for emissions up to 2018 so take that for what you will.

Since they're on the same team, Ferrari and Dodge have apparently been talking about how to improve the driving dynamics of the car. I would not at all be shocked if they shared some engine technology too, as well as Fiat with the stuff they have and Chrysler doesn't. Currently it only has VVT, and I'm sure they could really open it up by playing with DI (although that's supposedly an absolute mess to tune for) and some other stuff.

600 HP out of 8.4L is a lot, but we get more power out of that with a blown 6.2L V8. Put a blower on the 8.4 and you'll never know what hit you. An easy 750+ HP with a blower and DI.

Aren't they going to do away with the Hemi name pretty soon?

Not exactly...they are deemphasizing it for Jeep and Chrysler, but Dodge will keep the name is my understanding..

Two very interesting developments.

That Gladiator was fantastic, but I'm not a fan of the new Wrangler bodystyle. Still, good to hear that they are at least toying with the pickup idea.

Very curious about the Viper.