Sign in to follow this  
NINETY EIGHT REGENCY

Could Dodge Viper become an Italian sports car?

5 posts in this topic

Sep 16, 2010

Could Dodge Viper become an Italian sports car?

05:29 PM

Could the macho flag-waving Dodge Viper be morphing into a fine Italian sports car?

A "person" who got a look at the 2012 Dodge Viper concept at a meeting of Chrysler dealers described it to an Automotive News reporter as looking like "the Alfa Romeo 8C Competizione with a Viper face." The Alfa supercar, says the News, was once sold in the U.S. by Maserati dealerships.

Interesting idea, but yet to be seen whether die-hard Viper fans would accept it. The Viper, which recently ended production, was pure American muscle, as powerful as they come. To go the Italian supercar route would make Viper more a delicate-appearing creature -- though still quite expensive.

The Competizione is a limited-edition supercar that was sold in select Maserati dealerships in North America.

Also at the dealers' meeting in Orlando this week was news about a possible Jeep pickup and a new nine-speed automatic transmission, which would trump today's growing list of eight-speed trannies by a single gear.

The News says the last time that Jeep made a pickup was the Comanche, built for the 1992 model year.

TAGS:MASERA

link:

http://content.usatoday.com/communities/driveon/post/2010/09/could-dodge-viper-become-an-italian-sports-car/1

*jumps over to desktop to look at 8C Competizione*

Yeah, I've always kind of compared the Viper to the 8C in terms of looks. The face is different, but put harder lines on the tops of the fenders, an edgy side vent, more pronounced spoiler, different taillights, and side pipes on the 8C and you've got a Viper's looks; it's basically a very sexy, softened Viper in that department IMO. And that's not at all a bad thing. Just keep the Viper as pronounced as it is now and I'll be happy.

The 8C is gorgeous, but I hope it doesn't end up driving like the 8C, because the 8C drives like sh*t.

I also don't want to see the Viper saddled with all kinds of electronic nannies and whizzbangetry. What has always made the Viper special is the raw engineering behind it, and that it forced the driver to work and respect it.

Top down I kinda see Viper in it, but in the other post the go ahead OK was an "edgy design" :confused0071:

Edited by 67impss

I don't know about how the 8C drives, but it cost about 3.x times more than a Viper...I would hope the Viper would stay more down to earth in pricing...