Cadillac ATS Forecast

dwightlooi

14 members have voted

1. 1. How do you like this lineup?

Has Allison ever made a heavy-duty transmission for a non-heavy-duty vehicle?

Not to my knowledge, but other than issues of packaging (possibly being a bigger transmission) what is preventing against the transmission being used in passenger cars?

Not to my knowledge, but other than issues of packaging (possibly being a bigger transmission) what is preventing against the transmission being used in passenger cars?

Your guess is as good as mine. I'm betting that GM very well should be able to contract out to them to make a heavy-duty transmission that fits their car platforms.

While I don't doubt that Allison could build a 'lite' HD car trans, what is the situation with GM having sold Allison- they would be buying them in that instance, correct?

GM 3-spd autos are able to handle more TRQ than any production car yet built with minor aftermarket bolt-in parts. Stock it handled 550 TRQ back in '70.

Is the 6L90 based off the THM400 like the 4L80E was, or is it completely different?

While I don't doubt that Allison could build a 'lite' HD car trans, what is the situation with GM having sold Allison- they would be buying them in that instance, correct?

GM 3-spd autos are able to handle more TRQ than any production car yet built with minor aftermarket bolt-in parts. Stock it handled 550 TRQ back in '70.

Is the 6L90 based off the THM400 like the 4L80E was, or is it completely different?

I am pretty sure 6L90 was a clean sheet design when GM gave marching orders to develop the 6-speeds for both FWD and RWD applications. FWD applications were developed with Fords, while the RWD were totally in house.

There is always Allisson.

Allison 1000 6-speed (MW7) has a stout 660 lb-ft torque rating. But it is unsuitable for gasoline engines in car applications because the maximum shift speed is too low at 3300 rpm. I am sure they can raise the shift speed somewhat given that the GVW will not be anywhere near the 23,500 lbs it is rated for. But even if its 4300 rpm, that's still way too low. Unless you plan power the Ultra Luxury Caddy with a Duramax Turbo Diesel.

Edited by dwightlooi

I would think that Allison transmissions would be too heavy for a passenger car. Mercedes is working on a 7 or 9 speed to mate with the V12 to replace the 5 speed ZF unit.

You can live with the weight if you have to. After all, his will probably be a large car that may be in excess of 5,000 lbs. A shift speed of 3300 rpm however makes it unusable.

DL- how do we know the A-1000 is only good to 3300 RPM shift speeds; when the only engine it's behind is the 3200-RPM redline DuraMax ?? GM/ Allison test results ? Where did the '4300 RPM' figure come from ?

From GM's Specifications, on GM's website.

Allison 1000 Specifications on archives.media.gm.com

The 4300 rpm figure is just an estimate.

Edited by dwightlooi