Idiotic waste of time

balthazar

Those are cool...I esp. like the use of color. I'd like to see a dollar coin rather than a bill, though. The current bills are so dated and dull looking. Though I do avoid carrying cash or coins, prefer to go paperless as much as possible.

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar

I'd be fine with a monetary makeover. Color's fine. Please don't drop the dollar bill, I do NOT want to carry around dollar coins (though I'm fine with their existence). I'm fine with dropping the penny, maybe the nickel too. Keep any recent politicians off the currency. I don't think I like the idea of different sizes for different dollar amounts, unless it's an uber-fine difference detectable by machines but barely noticeable by people handling it.

Frankly, I use my debit cards for 99.9% of my transactions anyway. I could see making the bills smaller, so as they sit in my wallet they take up less space. They're just sitting there for the rare occasion that I can't use my debit card anyway.

• Agree 1

DES.jpg

That design is actually pretty cool. Fresh but somehow familiar.

As for those Euro-inspired designs ... those can suck my balls.

Agreed. I really like this one as well. Good security, good design, great USA-sourced typefaces, etc.

Now I don't MIND the vertical-orientation of the one proposal, but the design sucks. Money really is more vertical in life, and the different lengths of the various bills would be more accessible for blind people.

• Agree 1
  • Disagree 1

DES.jpg

That design is actually pretty cool. Fresh but somehow familiar.

As for those Euro-inspired designs ... those can suck my balls.

That is a pretty good design... it simply does not look like that "worthless" foreign money. ;-)

I will admit, I feel the $1 should have been redesigned with the other bills. It now looks very out of place. I feel the current $5-$100 designs are fine as-is.

The bill with Obama on it? Crap... I'll move to another country before that happens.

One thing that article does not include is the idea of starting to print plastic money. A few countries do it and it make forgery more difficult, the bills last longer and are waterproof. I'd really like to see someone float this idea before getting rid of the paper $1.

• Agree 1
  • Disagree 1

The colored ones are much more professionally done with regard to typography, use of color and space. I kind of like the vertical layout idea...makes sorting cash in a drawer, which is done vertically, easier. The color coding makes it easy to know which bill is what at a glance.

The horizontal one looks amateur. The idea is fine but the execution is lacking. Looks like a class project to come out of Introductory to Graphic Design.

I also like these.

slide_10712_141232_large.jpg?1284979872353

My only quibble with these is I feel like the faces should be in focus more, and the bill amount text shouldn't be intruding into the numbers the way it does, but overall a good, cohesive design. The colors also aren't as in-your-face either while still being distinct.

I don't want heavy coins replacing bills.

• Agree 1
  • Disagree 1

I'm fine with updating color, orientation etc. I really hope they don't go to different sizes for each denomination, I've used such currencies and they annoy me (probably because I like things to be uniform).

Also, plastic bills are awesome!

• Agree 2

LOL @ whoever ranked my post down because I don't agree that our money should blatantly rip off the Euro.

I can understand the thinking behind a vertical bill, but the design has to look more original than what I'm seeing and also look distinctly American.

The bill I posted is probably the best design they have, bar none.

If you want to live in Europe because you really love the design of their paper bills, move there. Sorry, buddy, but America is not Europe Jr. and you know what? I'm 100 percent happy that we're not.

Regardless of globalization, regardless of the concept of a global community, each nation is going to retain it's own individuality. You are a damn fool if you think any differently. If you're so willing to have your country lay down its identity, not to mention its pride and its history, only to adopt the identity of another country, nation, or entity, you have no concept of Patriotism nor any understanding of what your country was founded upon.

Freedom or GTFO.

/rant

Edited by whiteknight
  • Agree 4
  • Disagree 3

I understand how the US One Dollar Bill is iconic and all, and of all the bills that would probably be the one that many would pick specifically not to change- but in my opinion having a dollar bill is an idiotic waste of time. We replaced our one and two dollar bills with coins- they last longer.

canadian-money-coins.jpg

I like the idea of putting pioneers like Amelia Earhart or MLK on the bills, maybe they could be worked into the back of the bill so that the same Presidents appear on the face of the bill. As you can see from the Canadian bills posted below, they could redesign the back of the bills and work all of the symbolic stuff into the back of the bill while keeping the fronts of the bills simple and clean.

For comparison's sake- Canadian Bills

cjs_5f_new_09.gif

2000_05b_new.jpg

cjs_10bf_new_09.gif

cjs_10bb_new.gif

cjs_20f_new_09.gif

cjs_20b.gif

cjs_50f_new.gif

cjs_50b.gif

cjs_100f_new_09.gif

cjs_100b.gif

• Agree 1

The horizontal one looks amateur. The idea is fine but the execution is lacking. Looks like a class project to come out of Introductory to Graphic Design.

I don't like the right side, how it fades to blue. The portrait is also too blurry. Surely with modern technology we can create a high definition portrait of Washington. Other than that, it is very nice and nothing like what would come out of an intro to graphics design class. It may have been 8 years ago and my memory is foggy, but I don't remember the fake currencies people made in intro to graphics looking nearly as nice. Mine certainly didn't. But then again mine had cars on it instead of people.

Those vertical designs are fairly nice from a design standpoint. Too much drop shadow though, and they just feel over-designed. The colors are excellent, since they are vibrant without looking cheap. I like the people they chose.

I kind of like the vertical layout idea...makes sorting cash in a drawer, which is done vertically, easier.

Being in graphics, you know this is a fallacy. The human eye has no problem reading a large number (damnit- where's my pica ruler??) (ie; "20") rotated 90 degrees --never mind that most subconsciously recognize the portrait of Jackson as being a 20.

In fact, horizontal bills in a cash drawer are only rotated 90 degrees.... vertical bills are going to be rotated 180 degrees 50% of the time.

Frankly, those that have to rotate bills upright in order to read them... I'd prefer they didn't handle my money anyway.

Forget redesigning your currency and wasting all that time and resources. Instead, just adopt the Canadian Dollar! It'd probably be way better for your country's financial stability, and hey, it'd be worth something too!! Plus, America could join in on the fun of Twonie Tuesday's at participating retailers!

Loonies float. Eagles dive. :P

• Agree 1
  • Disagree 1

I understand how the US One Dollar Bill is iconic and all, and of all the bills that would probably be the one that many would pick specifically not to change- but in my opinion having a dollar bill is an idiotic waste of time. We replaced our one and two dollar bills with coins- they last longer.

I'm getting to be anti-coin. I really don't want to see the $1 bill replaced with a coin. Current coins are heavy enough... and I'm tired of dirty, corroded coins sitting around because I never spend with them.

The solution to paper bills wearing out is plastic bills. I'd even like to see metal coins move to a plastic coin or fractional plastic bill. The only time coins seem to get used is in vending machines... and quite frankly, they seem to work fine with bill readers (assuming the bill isn't worn out).

I do like the idea of differently size currency... to help blind people read money. Or, I imagine a plastic bill could have braille dots punched into it... or along the edge.

I'm sure at some point in the future, all the bills will have a smart RFID chip that will be able to do a handshake with a reader to determine reliably its denomination. Then a wave of a wand would simply be able to read back a value.

Ummmmm......

Paper money has been obsolete for a while, no real point in redesigning it.

Good point..I have very few situations where I need paper money..though it's necessary sometimes..like for tipping at businesses that don't have tip lines on their receipts (at the dog wash ,groomers, Starbucks drive thru, for instance) or w/ valets, toll roads (though rental cars often have an EasyPass or pay-by-cc deal for them), vending machines, the occasional vendor that doesn't take plastic (like at a flea market or swap meet)..

Ummmmm......

Paper money has been obsolete for a while, no real point in redesigning it.

Oh really? Well, it seems like 80% of the small restaurants in Brooklyn don't take anything but paper cash. Even in South Jersey, the GOOD Italian restaurants will point you towards the nearest ATM (with a $3 fee).

Bet you have a lot of luck using your plastic to negotiate at a yard sale or flea market.

And obviously there are many transactions that traceable plastic will never be very good for... Like This

I didn't have a bank account until college and that one was opened up for me (loan refunds).

I prefer to have my funds available in cold hard cash and within very easy reach. As SAmadei said, you can't negotiate on the price of something using your ATM card. Money comes with something standard: leverage. How? Well, money likes to talk. It's always talking, and it's a pretty loud talker if you didn't notice.

Edited by whiteknight

I didn't have a bank account until college and that one was opened up for me (loan refunds).

Which is also a good point... minors can't have plastic. In fact, I had a hard time getting an ATM card until I was 18 (I was an early ATM adopter) because it was linked to my checking account (minors can't sign checks).

Now, I know that in this day and age, a lot of minors have plastic... backed by their parents... but I'm sure there is a limit to this.

Which is also a good point... minors can't have plastic. In fact, I had a hard time getting an ATM card until I was 18 (I was an early ATM adopter) because it was linked to my checking account (minors can't sign checks).

Now, I know that in this day and age, a lot of minors have plastic... backed by their parents... but I'm sure there is a limit to this.

Well, we have "reloadable credit cards" these days, which are little more than gift cards that you can use anywhere you want to use them. I don't think there is an age limit here, but then again, I'm not really sure. If there isn't, you can put plastic in the hands of anyone of any age.

As for the plastic tied to banks, bankers, and banking accounts, I know of people who got bank accounts at age 16 with ATM cards to go with 'em, not much hassle involved.

Me personally, I didn't want to screw around with a bank account. I'm pushing 20 now if you were wondering, so it isn't like I couldn't have gotten one over the past few of years. I've been in and out of work sporadically over the past two years plus. I've never really been damn near broke, though. I've always found a way to earn some cash somehow obviously; I've had a classic car I've been screwing around with. Anyway, it just didn't seem to make much sense to me, and that's also not to say I'm used to having my money in the nearest ATM I know of: my wallet.

Edited by whiteknight

In the last 3 years of having a debit card... I've maybe run into maybe half a dozen situations where cards weren't plausible and I absolutely needed cash. Not to mention, in those few situations, my bank or an ATM (with no fee, thank you Sheetz bros.) was just a short drive away. Any time I have more than $100 in cash, I deposit it.

Debit/Credit just delays transactions - I feel like an a-hole if I hold up the line by doing that. Besides, a lot of places either don't accept cards or charge fees to use them. I deal in cash 90% of the time. Probably about 50% of my credit card transactions every month are for gas, since it's easier to pay at the pump rather than walk inside.

I'm not strongly for or against using cash, I just do whatever makes the most sense.

In the last 3 years of having a debit card... I've maybe run into maybe half a dozen situations where cards weren't plausible and I absolutely needed cash. Not to mention, in those few situations, my bank or an ATM (with no fee, thank you Sheetz bros.) was just a short drive away. Any time I have more than $100 in cash, I deposit it.

Well, I'm sure there are some people who never stray from using corporate America for every purchase... Walmart, BurgerKing, Red Lobster, Lowes. Thats fine. But that doesn't cover everybody in every situation, therefore, non-plastic cash is not obsolete, as Satty asserts.

Oh, and in the dystopian future, that short drive will likely be a trip on public transportation and you'll need a cash permit, filled out in triplicate and notarized.

Well, I'm sure there are some people who never stray from using corporate America for every purchase... Walmart, BurgerKing, Red Lobster, Lowes. Thats fine. But that doesn't cover everybody in every situation, therefore, non-plastic cash is not obsolete, as Satty asserts.

Not necessarily.

Over the last 10 years, I've seen very, very few independent (non-chain, non-corporate) restaurants or businesses that don't take plastic. Cash-only businesses are a rarity, at least in the realities I've spend the most of my time in (Phoenix and Denver metro areas).

The only scenarios I need cash w/ any frequency for are vending machines, tipping where there isn't a tip line on the receipts (Starbucks drive thru, dog wash, dog groomers), paying the yard guy (envelope w/ cash under the doormat), infrequent valet parking, the rare toll road (none around Phoenix area), and if I happen to go to a model kit swap meet/toy show or flea market.

I do frequent some corporate chains (Target, ACE Hardware, Home Depot, Chevron, Walgreens, Petsmart, Pei Wei, Starbucks, to name a few) but I frequent local merchants as much as possible..esp. w/ restaurants.

Even the parking garage at the airport takes plastic, as do the parking lots downtown. As do the merch vendors at concert venues.

I've taken 4 weekend trips to various places in California this summer and never used more than $20 in cash on each trip. Cash can't beat the convenience of plastic.

Over the last decade, I've found paper money has become about as obsolete as paper mail (I get very little) and land line phones..

Like Camino- I too have been moving toward more & more cash. Big ticket items & staples such as gas- I get cash back by using credit so I'll use it there, but there are many instances AND advantages to using cash over anything else. I deal frequently in parts buying/selling- no plastic there. I don't do ATM or debit- always have an eye toward simplification, and the less statements hitting my mailbox that I have to process, the better.

I don't do ATM or debit- always have an eye toward simplification, and the less statements hitting my mailbox that I have to process, the better.

Most all bank/credit card/investment statements can be done electronic...I haven't had paper mail statements in years...

How do you get cash if you don't 'do ATM'? Use a 'bank teller' like it's 1990? :)

Not necessarily.

Over the last 10 years, I've seen very, very few independent (non-chain, non-corporate) restaurants or businesses that don't take plastic. Cash-only businesses are a rarity, at least in the realities I've spend the most of my time in (Phoenix and Denver metro areas).

Well, as I mentioned in an earlier post, I've found many of the local independent restaurants and businesses don't take plastic. I've TRIED to live on plastic only. In PA/NJ/NYC, my favorite pizzeria and hoagie shops do not take plastic.

And a lot of places are iffy for using plastic... minimum purchase or outright higher rate (gas stations).

The only scenarios I need cash w/ any frequency for are vending machines, tipping where there isn't a tip line on the receipts (Starbucks drive thru, dog wash, dog groomers), paying the yard guy (envelope w/ cash under the doormat), infrequent valet parking, the rare toll road (none around Phoenix area), and if I happen to go to a model kit swap meet/toy show or flea market.

Obsolescence is the state of being which occurs when an object, service or practice is no longer wanted even though it may still be in good working order.

So then, cash is still not obsolete... that cash is still wanted in those situations.

Ironically, many of the vending machine I encounter now take plastic. And so do the toll roads (EZ Pass).

Edit: I'm not trying to say that plastic is not highly used now or in the future... I am only saying that some things will likely always prefer/require cash, and some people will always value the anonymity of cash. If I want a GOOD hoagie, I better have cash on hand.

Edited by SAmadei

Also don't do electronic banking- zero chance of getting hacked that way.

>>"How do you get cash?"<<

People give it to me. ;)

I assume you use DD- as an independent contractor, I do not have that option.

Yes- I go to the bank around every 2 weeks. 'Skim off' what I need for a week or so, deposit the rest.

Have a small local bank- they know me there, service is excellent. Works perfectly for me.

Well, as I mentioned in an earlier post, I've found many of the local independent restaurants and businesses don't take plastic. I've TRIED to live on plastic only. In PA/NJ/NYC, my favorite pizzeria and hoagie shops do not take plastic.

Lots of variation depending on region, no doubt. I just don't see many local independent restaurants and businesses that are cash only..I'd don't think they would last long around here.

So then, cash is still not obsolete... that cash is still wanted in those situations.

True, but I use it much less than I did 10-15 years ago..much less.

Ironically, many of the vending machine I encounter now take plastic. And so do the toll roads (EZ Pass).

I'd definitely use EZ Pass if I lived where there were toll roads...the only toll roads I encounter are when I'm on vacation...and rental cars in those areas often have EZ Pass or similar.

Also don't do electronic banking- zero chance of getting hacked that way.

>>"How do you get cash?"<<

People give it to me. ;)

I assume you use DD- as an independent contractor, I do not have that option.

Yes- I go to the bank around every 2 weeks. 'Skim off' what I need for a week or so, deposit the rest.

Have a small local bank- they know me there, service is excellent. Works perfectly for me.

Yeah, I use DD when salaried or W2 contracting...when I've done 1099/S-corp contracting then I do get paid w/ paper checks, but deposit them at the bank drive thru ASAP..

As far as electronic banking--it drove me crazy when my bank had no online access for a couple days last week...I'm used to checking my accounts a couple times a day, painful not to be able to check online when used to it...haven't maintained a paper check book in 15 years or so, used to use MS Money for my GL and reporting but switched to Quicken and Mint a while back.

I've tried to go completely paperless as much as I can. But if the Internet goes down for an extended period (2012, mega earthquakes, Tea Party apocalypse, whatever catastrophe happens this decade) then I'm screwed. :(

Debit/Credit just delays transactions - I feel like an a-hole if I hold up the line by doing that. Besides, a lot of places either don't accept cards or charge fees to use them.

In my experience, its no quicker or slower than using cash on average. Perhaps off a second or two most of the time, but that's not going to cause a ruckus in line. Alot of it depends on the place. There are a few debit/credit machines that seem to take 5 minutes just to process... There are also places that swipe, and hand back both your receipt and card in just a few seconds, much quicker than any cash transation (granted, this is via Sheetz, one of the highest tech gas/food chains in in the area). Same for cashiers; You may get a quick counting pro, or the impossibly inept.

Oh, and in the dystopian future, that short drive will likely be a trip on public transportation and you'll need a cash permit, filled out in triplicate and notarized.

Honestly, I am very surprised to read this assertion about the apparent non-availability of using debit/credit in businesses in what I would assume are urban areas. As someone living in rural Pennsylvania, I simply find that perplexing. In my little town of less than 4,000 people, we have managed full availability of using credit/debit. We have no Walmart, no Target, no Lowes; no major nationwide shopping outlets. You'll see just a handful of fast food places, gas station chains, and hotels up on the boulevard. The majority of this town is kept alive and depends on local 'mom and pop' run businesses. Groceries, restaurants, hardware, pharmacies, apparel, alcohol, sports, etc. All of whom have accepted credit/debit for many years.

Perhaps this just means I have one extra virtue to extol of this quaint little sh!thole. This isn't to suggest cash no longer has a place, it certainly does and will for the foreseeable future. Debit/credit has replaced checks more than anything else... And people like myself, would rather withdraw the cash only when needed while the rest of my money sits safely in a bank, where it has much less a chance of being stolen out of my pocket.