Sign in to follow this  
NINETY EIGHT REGENCY

Video: Motor Trend pits ZR1 against 911 Turbo with surprising results

Video: Motor Trend pits ZR1 against 911 Turbo with surprising results

by Jeff Glucker (RSS feed) on Sep 20th 2010 at 7:57PM

Chevrolet Corvette ZR1 versus Porsche 911 Turbo – Click above to watch video after the jump

One is an American-bred land rocket and the other a Teutonic track terror. They are the 2011 Chevrolet Corvette ZR1 and 2010 Porsche 911 Turbo, and Motor Trend has pitted them head-to-head.

Former Autoblog scribe and known flip-flop aficionado Jonny Lieberman provides the voice work and the words for the buff book's latest supercar comparo, with Herr Lieberman calling the 911 Turbo "the fastest manual transmission car we've ever tested." Acceleration is one thing, but what about sex appeal? According to Jonny, "... both cars were alternately parked in front of my house for two weeks, but I discovered pink lipstick marks only on the Corvette's windshield. That's right, someone kissed the ZR1."

We have video of both cars running side-by-side for 1,320 feet and the winner is not much of a surprise. The overall winner of the comparison? Well, that's another story, and the results may surprise you. Hop the jump to see the clip of these two going head-to-head.

link:

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/09/20/video-motor-trend-pits-zr1-against-911-turbo-with-surprising-re/

I wish I could view this video right now! I feel like the Corvette probably won both comparisons how they're talking, but C&D tested them both and the 911 came out on top in the straight away (but their numbers did seem off).

911 wins the quarter mile, pretty much solely because it's AWD and launches much better. The ZR1 was gaining quickly at the end and would've soon passed the Porsche. I'd take the ZR1 over the 911 in a heartbeat, even though they are both terrific cars. The ZR1 also sounds a lot better IMO.

As the old adage from Pirelli goes, power is nothing without control..

Of course, but launching is just a very small part of control. How's the Porsche's Nurburgring time compare to the ZR1? I honestly don't know, but IMO that would tell much more about control. Wouldn't surprise me in the least if the Porsche is better in twisties, but the ZR1 isn't a slouch, though probably requires more skill to make it do all it can do.

PurdueGuy ~ >>" ZR1 also sounds a lot better IMO."<<

One sounds like a slo-revving, down-on-power, quasi-pedestrian powerplant, and the other one is the ZR-1. ;)

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

About us

CheersandGears.com - Founded 2001

We  Cars

Get in touch

Follow us

Recent tweets

facebook