NINETY EIGHT REGENCY

C&T 1971: Mercury Marquis Road Test

35 posts in this topic

I like those old land yachts...spent my early childhood riding around in one. Don't really remember it, though..my folks traded it on a Lincoln Continental sedan when I was 4..I think their Merc was apple green w/ green top and dark green cloth interior..

Wouldn't it be interesting to see todays technology used on some older designs and they were updated and made fuel efficient?

Like in the movie 'Gattica'..in a dystopian future, they had vintage cars running on electric motors...

More like what they have done with Camaro and Mustang, but with full sized cars, but different.

Yeah, a retromodern 5000lb V8 full sizer would be nice...225 inches, 121 inch wheelbase...

I always thought the '71 Marquis came with a 429 2V as standard equipment. I know the "lesser" Montereys came with the 400. Maybe the Marquis Brougham had the 429, while the regular Marquis had the 400? I'll have to do some poking around.

I drove a '71 Marquis Brougham 2-dr hdtp for a number of years. It had the 429 2V and the compression was high enough that it had to drink premium gas. In spite of breathing through a 2V carb, this big tank had a lot of scat.

There is a sharp black 2dr '71/72 Marquis coupe around here I see occasionally, really nice except for the wheels and tires--wide whitewalls and baby moon hubcaps, look like they belong on something from the '50s instead.

To put that into some perspective, that '71 Mercury is only 200 lbs heavier than a 2010 BMW M5

Heh. And the Merc is a better looking car, according to me anyway...I mean, it's got hideaway headlights! :)

Checked the '71 Mercury brochure and the Marquis did come with the 429 2V as standard, with a 4V version optional. Both versions had a 10.5:1 squeeze.

Wonder where the testers came up with a Marquis powered by a 400? Was that a Canadian show or sump'n'?

Badass wheels, Mr. LX.

Sadly, I sold the Regency back in '77... :( How I wish I could find one like it now.

Or better yet, how I wish I could find the money to purchase one like it now. :)

Edited by NeonLX

One of the few car ads I specifically remember as a child was the one featuring a '72 Mercury Marquis and a famous jeweler splitting a diamond in the back seat while the car drove over cobblestones,etc. I also remember the plush sew pattern of the 1970 Mercury Marquis--my neighbor's wife commented upon how it seemed so luxurious as she sat in it (brand new) but he elected to buy a 1968 Cadillac Sedan DeVille (used)! (It would be the first of a series of Cadillacs, the next one being brand new in 1973, up until 1997).

She's a big girl!

Yes she is....

Ugh! 400ci fed through a 2-barrel carb?

Not as bad as you might think...ford made very good carbs back in the day, and that 400 CI will spin a whole lot slower than the tiny lawn mower mill in Albert's lil CRV....

VTECH baby...think VTEC....or ummm...just no.

Give me the 400 CID....and a 1970's oil supply to feed the damn thing....

Yeah, all of the '71 Marquis I've ever seen have had the 429 under the hood. Interestingly, the standard engine appears to have been the 429 with 10.5:1 compression ratio and a 2V carb. The 4V version with the same compression ratio was optional. The 2V was rated at 320 HP while the 4V pumped out 360 HP.

I think the 460 started showing up in big Mercurys for 1972. It had already been in Lincolns starting in '68, of course...

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.