Lightened Next-Gen Zeta Platform Also Will Underpin Caddy, Buick

I am curious to see where this goes. The S-class has been the standard since the 1970s, and other brands keep saying they are going to dethrone it, yet here we are, and the S-class is still the gold standard. The next generation S-class isn't far away either, and they up the ante every time.

• Agree 1
  • Disagree 1

It will be interesting to see where the next S-class styling goes...the current one has grown on me...though I still like the 5000lb tanks of the '80s-'90s w/ the larger, upright grille...the grilles are too small on the current and previous gen S-class, IMO..

I see the next s-class is coming out with a 4-banger.

Someone's head is going to explode.

I think a 4-cylinder diesel is on the way, I doubt that makes it to the USA though. Unless it is a plug-in hybrid or something. But once the S-class does it, everyone else will copy it.

I think a 4-cylinder diesel is on the way, I doubt that makes it to the USA though. Unless it is a plug-in hybrid or something. But once the S-class does it, everyone else will copy it.

and because mercedes does it it's no longer evil to put a 4 Cyl. in a luxury car?

• Agree 3

Agreed on that, but it seems like they are committed to a FWD/AWD XTS on Epsy Dos to compete w/ the Lexus ES and Lincoln MKS.

But then we go back to my initial question: what fills the gap in pricing from the CTS-V to the 130K RWD Caddy? It's a huge gap...

But then we go back to my initial question: what fills the gap in pricing from the CTS-V to the 130K RWD Caddy? It's a huge gap...

XTS and Escalade. The Escalade is already ranging up into the $70ks...

Besides, if they do a $130k V8 ZTS, there will probably will be a V6 version for $90-100k or so..

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar

And what exactly would fill the pricing gap between the CTS and this car? Doesn't the current CTS-V cost half of these 130K?

that would probably be the XTS sedan's job. looks like there will be four Cadillac Sedans. the ATS, CTS, XTS and this top of the line model probably called a ZTS. But I do agree there is room for a model inbetween the XTS and ZTS. They could always do a long wheelbase and short wheelbase ZTS I guess.

The flagship will buoy the mainstream Cadillac lineup, including the larger 2014 CTS and a new Zeta sedan.

Unless I am missing something there are two sedans above the CTS. So seems to me Caddy wants to compete S-class and Bentley.

What about bringing back the Chevelle nameplate for this new RWD Chevy Sedan?? I can see them eiether calling it a Chevelle or a Caprice. And any idea of where they would build these models?

I see the Caprice name sticking around.

Then again, with the proper sheetmetal differences, the Chevelle name would be an excellent choice as well.

When I read the information regarding the Chevy sedan in the article, I can't help but to think of the '03 SS concept.

If they bring this all off in fine fashion, and get Alpha right, the "new" GM will be strides ahead of where it is today.

I might even change my sig statements if they get it right.

It would be refreshing to be impressed instead of disappointed.

Nice to see you have hope again. I just hope this all holds together as we hope. Too often it has been jerked away.

As for name this is how I see it. If it as they say will be like a 4 door Camaro sports sedan they only have two options if they go with the old names. Impala and Impala SS or Chevelle and Chevelle SS. The issue is are they still doing a Impala FWD? If so the Chevelle name would fit well with the Camaro name in marketing a Sport coupe and sedan.

Unless I am missing something there are two sedans above the CTS. So seems to me Caddy wants to compete S-class and Bentley.

I think we and all the people writing these articles are missing something. The only thing I see making sense there is the larger CTS part, although I think it is more correct to predict that it will be slightly larger.

Going after Bentley is madness unless they sort out the ATS, CTS, larger-than-CTS cars very well first. IMHO it is the answer to a question nobody is asking.

Edited by ZL-1