Sign in to follow this  
NINETY EIGHT REGENCY

TVs on Subways? Commuting in NYC Just Got Worse

19 posts in this topic

TVs on Subways? Commuting in NYC Just Got Worse

We thought it was bad when we learned that cell phones will work in the subway, but now another of our commuting nightmares has been realized. There are currently functioning televisions on the subway. Great, one more thing to ignore.

Since yesterday, TVs are playing highlights from Major League Baseball games as part of an advertising campaign for TBS's coverage of the playoffs. And you never thought the day would come when you'd miss those nasty podiatrist and community college ads.

Of course this is just another way for the perennially cash-strapped MTA to make some money. But they're going to end up spending all that cash on mops and janitors to clean up all the puke on the subway cars. Seriously. Try watching the tube while being jostled from station to station and not puking.

While many of us are adept at ignoring or mitigating the presence of advertising in our lives, these TV screens are going to do nothing but piss New Yorkers off. Riding the subway is about reading a book, people watching, and patiently biding your time until your stop. The cars themselves were heretofore untouched by technology (other than necessary air-conditioning), someplace our brains and our eyes can get a little bit of a break from the bombarding world around us. If you wanted electronic interruption, you had to bring it with you. (Even now, if you want to listen to something, there's always the music pouring out of fellow straphangers' earphones, and if you want to watch something there's always an iPad just over someone's shoulder.) The TV screens are an invasion, though. Another flickering menace to terrorize us like those in the back of cabs.

That's OK, though. You know they'll be broken in 3 months and the MTA won't ever get around to fixing them.

[image via Getty]

link:

http://gawker.com/5645049/tvs-on-subways-commuting-in-nyc-just-got-worse

I don't get this. Seriously, who cares? Subways have never been library-quiet to begin with, and I personally find it far easier to tune out a TV than the schizophrenic homeless person prattling endlessly about how Jesus will save the world from Satan.

• Upvote 1

Especially subways. They are a haven for the loonies.

Please. Subways are great because they are grade-separated transit that doesn't produce noise or visual impacts to the surrounding communities. They are also the best type of transit mode for spurring economic development around stations.

Another thing about these TVs...they could also be used to announce messages, such as stop info or service interruptions/delays. Booster organizations could also buy ad space to interactively highlight destinations around each station. Think of how useful it would be if you're riding the subway and watching the screens highlight new restaurants or special events going on at the upcoming stop--especially for tourists.

Edited by Croc
  • Upvote 2

Subways tend to be dank and urine-filled, but I'm 100% for substantially more advertising on public transit. Let companies pick up some of the subsidies.

Add another reason to the "Why Public Transit Sucks" list.

why cars are so popular

Subways tend to be dank and urine-filled, but I'm 100% for substantially more advertising on public transit. Let companies pick up some of the subsidies.

mmmmmmm, nothin like urine smell, but better to force us all on the subway, some would say

In urban areas, riding a good subway is waaaay better than being stuck in traffic, even if you're in an M5 or something. When I lived in Hong Kong earlier this year, I didn't for a moment miss my car. Subways there are clean, inexpensive, quiet, comfortable, and quick; you just hop on, and you get to everywhere without any real effort. Wish LA had a system a tenth as good.

why cars are so popular

mmmmmmm, nothin like urine smell, but better to force us all on the subway, some would say

Equating all subways with the smell of urine is like equating all cars with Kia Rios and Pontiac Azteks. And, honestly, with the way many cities in the US are designed -- around the car -- we're forced to use cars, because all the other options suck and are afterthoughts.

I like subways - wish I had them closer to my house! Also, I think this is a good idea. They installed TVs with a news feed on them in the stations in Toronto, and I love it - takes the boredom out of waiting for the train (and it also tells you at the bottom how long you have to w2ait).

As drivers, you should be FOR public transit (for other people to use). Think about it for a moment. The people who aren't really passionate about driving - the Toyota Corolla drivers of the world - will get out of their cars and into the subway if the system is right for them. This leaves the roads more open for the good drivers who are passionate about cars and enjoy driving. Doesn't that sound like a positive change to you? That's why I'll always support subways and other forms of public transit, even if I don't choose to take it myself.

Another thing about these TVs...they could also be used to announce messages, such as stop info or service interruptions/delays. Booster organizations could also buy ad space to interactively highlight destinations around each station. Think of how useful it would be if you're riding the subway and watching the screens highlight new restaurants or special events going on at the upcoming stop--especially for tourists.

Ah, but they never are. We have them on the buses in LA and they were sold to us with the idea that they would do just that. They never did- it was all 6th rate quiz shows, commercials for music CDs in Spanish and ads trying to convince us we weren't losers for using the MTA.

Ah, but they never are. We have them on the buses in LA and they were sold to us with the idea that they would do just that. They never did- it was all 6th rate quiz shows, commercials for music CDs in Spanish and ads trying to convince us we weren't losers for using the MTA.

Buses. Let's keep things in perspective here. A given bus may travel any number of routes in a week, but that subway car with its color-coded stripe only travels one set of tracks (maybe two if there's a split). VERY different story.

Please. Subways are great because they are grade-separated transit that doesn't produce noise or visual impacts to the surrounding communities. They are also the best type of transit mode for spurring economic development around stations.

Agreed.

Buses. Let's keep things in perspective here. A given bus may travel any number of routes in a week, but that subway car with its color-coded stripe only travels one set of tracks (maybe two if there's a split). VERY different story.

Huh? The buses I ride on all have screens displaying the next stop, upcoming zone change (it determines your fare) and other travel info.....

Huh? The buses I ride on all have screens displaying the next stop, upcoming zone change (it determines your fare) and other travel info.....

...and how many different routes are in your area? How many buses are in the fleet? Los Angeles and Pittsburgh are very different. LA does announce the next stop, and it is displayed visually as well. But what I mentioned prior, and what tmp and I were discussing, would be much more extensive information, such as featured tourism destinations, real-time route info, and other infotainment types of messages. Coordinating all of that for a city the size of LA with a bus fleet of its size would be an enormous task.

Buses also have very high operating costs compared to rail-based systems, and quite frankly bus service is limited by traffic congestion. Buses will never be premium forms of transit for those very reasons, unless you're talking about dedicated busways like Curitiba which are nothing more than cheap light rail without rails.

Edited by Croc

It's just a txt file... the route data itself can fit on a floppy disk...

If they're already paying for screens to put in the bus they can spring an extra $10 for an SD Card...

It's just a txt file... the route data itself can fit on a floppy disk...

If they're already paying for screens to put in the bus they can spring an extra $10 for an SD Card...

Again...in Los Angeles things just can't be "done" like they can be in a much smaller city. Improving bus service is at the bottom of Metro's priority list, and quite honestly they could start using leather and wood interior buses driven by smiling, friendly Abercrombie & Fitch models and yet everyone would still bitch about it. Traffic is traffic, we need more rail-based transit.

I loved the subway while I was in NYC. Cheap, easy way to get from one place to another.

It used to be cheaper.

The NYC subway has multiple personalities. Some trips are just that... miraculously easy and quick. But depending on exactly where you need to go and what time, it can quickly turn bad. During rush hour, it becomes a crowded mess. In the middle of the night, it can take 45 minutes for a train to show up. In the summertime, it is absolutely ROASTing in some stations... LOL, and some trains. As you get out into the outer boros, some platforms are REALLY ghetto.

I've had nights where I've waited an hour for the train... only to have it stop and go out of service (red line), due to a detour... have to take the train in the wrong direction, walk 2 blocks underground to transfer to a cross town line (L)... to transfer to a train going in the right direction (green)... to choose between packed cars or an empty one that is empty because the AC is broken and there is a ripe homeless guy "freshening" the air... turning a 1/2 hour trip into a 3 hour ordeal.

Also, by spending time there, you find that all the affordable stuff is affordable because its location is far from the train.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this