Sign in to follow this  
NINETY EIGHT REGENCY

2012 BUICK REGAL GS SPY PHOTOS

9 posts in this topic

2012 BUICK REGAL GS

LIVE/SPY IMAGESOFFICIAL IMAGES

By Drew Johnson

Just weeks before its anticipated launch, our spy photographers have caught up with Buick's performance minded Regal GS sedan. The Regal GS is expect to make its market debut by the end of 2010.

News that the Regal GS is coming isn't new, as GM vice chairman Tom Stephens confirmed to the Detroit News that the Regal GS has been green lighted for production, although he didn't give an anticipated on sale date or any hint about volume at the time. Stephens also did not indicate which features of the virtually production-ready Regal GS concept would make production. But we do know that a turbocharged GS is coming - soon.

Leftlane reported late last year that there was a possibility of a high-performance Buick Regal coming for U.S. consumption, and now it appears that Buick is very close to making that a reality. Although based heavily on the Opel Insignia OPC, the Regal GS features a unique powertrain tailored to the North American market.

The Buick Regal GS concept car features a 255 horsepower, 295 lb-ft. of torque, direct-injected, turbocharged 2.0-liter Ecotec engine mated to a six-speed manual transmission that distributes its power to all four wheels through an adaptive all-wheel-drive system. If that wasn't enough, the GS also features an electronic limited-slip rear differential, a lowered suspension, 20-inch forged aluminum wheels, performance tires, massive Brembo brakes, sport steering wheel and pedals and Recaro racing-style seats.

"We designed the Regal GS to explore the appeal of a high-performance variant of the Regal," said Craig Bierley, product marketing director for Buick. "Like the Regal, the Regal GS is based on the award-winning Opel Insignia, and we believe it will reinvigorate Buick’s storied Gran Sport legacy."

Inside, the Regal GS varies from the standard Regal by featuring a completely jet black interior extending all the way up the pillars and into the headliner. There is also a sport shifter for the six-speed manual transmission and a suede-covered, flat-bottom steering wheel like those used in international racing series. The instrument panel displays in ice blue whenever the driver engages the sport mode of the Interactive Drive Control System (IDCS).

"The idea behind the Regal GS was taking the production model in a more aggressive direction to appeal to performance enthusiasts," said John Cafaro, Buick design director. "But along with its aggressive stance, there’s sophisticated style in the design that complements the driving experience."

The Buick Regal GS is expected to accelerate from 0-60 mph in under six seconds.

link:

http://www.leftlanenews.com/buick-regal-gs.html

Since GM was offering those stage 2 kits or whatever they were called for the SIDI 4-cyl turbo, I see no durability issues arising from tuning the engine to at least 280hp. 280hp is, coincidence or not, the latest rumor I read regarding the NG Astra OPC's hp rating.

Since GM was offering those stage 2 kits or whatever they were called for the SIDI 4-cyl turbo, I see no durability issues arising from tuning the engine to at least 280hp. 280hp is, coincidence or not, the latest rumor I read regarding the NG Astra OPC's hp rating.

They will run all day long at 290 HP and have only been limited buy the transmission that was in the car the Turbo Upgrade was installed on.

The 5 speed in the Solstice GXP will take 335 FT LB and retain the GM 5 year 100,000 warranty.

The only key is GM likes to offer the engines in Premium Recomended mode and not Premium Required mode. The kit if offered to the Buick buyers would give them a dealer installed option and a dealer for more profit on the sale of the car with a dealer installed option add on sale.

It would be interesting to see what they could offer with the 6 Speeed tranny. The old 4 speed would take 315 FT LB with no issues.

Edited by hyperv6

They will run all day long at 290 HP and have only been limited buy the transmission that was in the car the Turbo Upgrade was installed on.

The 5 speed in the Solstice GXP will take 335 FT LB and retain the GM 5 year 100,000 warranty.

The only key is GM likes to offer the engines in Premium Recomended mode and not Premium Required mode. The kit if offered to the Buick buyers would give them a dealer installed option and a dealer for more profit on the sale of the car with a dealer installed option add on sale.

It would be interesting to see what they could offer with the 6 Speeed tranny. The old 4 speed would take 315 FT LB with no issues.

In this case I'd like to see it not as a dealer-mounted kit, but as the straight-out-of-the-factory Regal GS. The GS would come as a 275hp or 280hp sports car with AWD. I don't expect the production version of the engine to deliver the 290hp of the GTC Paris concept.

It's just a chip and one sensor difference.... the only reason the dealer even needs to do it is for warranty reasons. You could do the upgrade in your driveway in 15 minutes or less.

It's just a chip and one sensor difference.... the only reason the dealer even needs to do it is for warranty reasons. You could do the upgrade in your driveway in 15 minutes or less.

It is just two T Map sensors and a computer flash. Chips have been gone for a long time.

You can install the T Maps if you like but GM has to take the code you are given and do the down load from GMPD's system. No one outside GM can get to it. You still keep the warranty either way. Not the kit is the same for all LNF engines just the down load is different and tuned to each model and tranny.

The T Maps are just Bosch 3 bars used in a Alpha Romeo nothing special.

GM should if they choose to use this convert the two adapter harness connectors to plug in as not all dealer techs are crimping the butt connectors right. Mine has worked worry free but others have has connector issues with poor crips.

The only issue I did have was the intercooler was too close to the AC compressor. Under a hard launches the T map would hit the Compressor. I got under the car and figured it out and contacted Bill Duncan at GMPD who is the drivetrain engineer who did the kit. He said to have the dealer shim the IC forward about a 1/4 inch and it would solve the issue. The dealer did it under warranty and no more boost issues.

In this case I'd like to see it not as a dealer-mounted kit, but as the straight-out-of-the-factory Regal GS. The GS would come as a 275hp or 280hp sports car with AWD. I don't expect the production version of the engine to deliver the 290hp of the GTC Paris concept.

I don't expect the full 290 HP right now either. In the future It could be done very easy as cars go to smaller engines. I expect 260-280 HP by they time GM go production. GM always add HP before produtions anymore. The key is the Ecotec is not even near what it can do in present trim and with just a little work these engines can make up to 500 HP with no issues in street trim. I do not expect to see that in the near term but it could be done down the road. Lets face it who evver though a 290 HP HHR was possible?

The one issue is the GM factor of keeping premium optional may help sales but it also limits the engine to all it could be.

AWD would be nice but it is a mixed blessing. It would give better traction but also add weight and take more power to run. This is not a world rally car. It would be good if they just offered it as an option to those who want it and base it on the Haldex system Caddy uses.

A GSX model with 300+ HP would be nice over the GS. That is what I would use the AWD on.

I is just good the Eco is not at it's limits. I see it the use of it in the future like the SBC was in the 60's-90's. It will find a way into base cars to Luxury and performance.

GM just needs to market the engine like Ford has the Ecoboost. GM I feel has a better engine and they need to show it.

Edited by hyperv6

I don't expect the full 290 HP right now either. In the future It could be done very easy as cars go to smaller engines. I expect 260-280 HP by they time GM go production. GM always add HP before produtions anymore. The key is the Ecotec is not even near what it can do in present trim and with just a little work these engines can make up to 500 HP with no issues in street trim. I do not expect to see that in the near term but it could be done down the road. Lets face it who evver though a 290 HP HHR was possible?

The one issue is the GM factor of keeping premium optional may help sales but it also limits the engine to all it could be.

AWD would be nice but it is a mixed blessing. It would give better traction but also add weight and take more power to run. This is not a world rally car. It would be good if they just offered it as an option to those who want it and base it on the Haldex system Caddy uses.

A GSX model with 300+ HP would be nice over the GS. That is what I would use the AWD on.

I is just good the Eco is not at it's limits. I see it the use of it in the future like the SBC was in the 60's-90's. It will find a way into base cars to Luxury and performance.

GM just needs to market the engine like Ford has the Ecoboost. GM I feel has a better engine and they need to show it.

I would be perfectly fine with a FRONT drive Regal with the power spec of the Cobalt SS. Maxima has 290, a front drive regal should have no problems with a 250-270hp spec. That and a six speed manual tranny, perfect size, it would be all the car i need. I don't think I'd want an AWD Regal. You really need to cross the 300hp mark with the Regal to offset the pork and friction of the AWD system.

You're totally familiar with the turbo in the HHR SS, and I have driven the HHR SS and the Cobalt SS quite a few times and I never had ANY issues with torque steer. TO be honest, i never felt it had neck snapping acceleration, I would say it's just the right amount. It would probably be the perfect amount for the Regal.

I've test driven the Saab 9-3 quite a few times, the four cylinder was the most fun. The V6 felt too heavy on the front. I think the same thing would happen with the Regal. So unless they can really amp up the power on the 4 and mate it with the AWD, I think a v6 would probably spoil the balance of the car.

The Regal strikes me as a 'keep it simple' car. I think AWD and extra weight could complicate this car. It would be like adding AWD to a Cobalt SS.

I would be perfectly fine with a FRONT drive Regal with the power spec of the Cobalt SS. Maxima has 290, a front drive regal should have no problems with a 250-270hp spec. That and a six speed manual tranny, perfect size, it would be all the car i need. I don't think I'd want an AWD Regal. You really need to cross the 300hp mark with the Regal to offset the pork and friction of the AWD system.

You're totally familiar with the turbo in the HHR SS, and I have driven the HHR SS and the Cobalt SS quite a few times and I never had ANY issues with torque steer. TO be honest, i never felt it had neck snapping acceleration, I would say it's just the right amount. It would probably be the perfect amount for the Regal.

I've test driven the Saab 9-3 quite a few times, the four cylinder was the most fun. The V6 felt too heavy on the front. I think the same thing would happen with the Regal. So unless they can really amp up the power on the 4 and mate it with the AWD, I think a v6 would probably spoil the balance of the car.

The Regal strikes me as a 'keep it simple' car. I think AWD and extra weight could complicate this car. It would be like adding AWD to a Cobalt SS.

Just one thing for you to keep in mind. The acceleration of a non Turbo upgrade vs one with is a great one. You would not think it would be much but the car changes in performance that it feels like a different car. The auto with only 235 HP will not snap the neck but 290 HP in First and Second change the car.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this