2012 Chevy Malibu Interior Shots - Inside Line

Z-06

Oh my god, a Nav screen!!!! Finally.

The nav screen is a definite improvement, but the way the center console slopes forward and the curve around the glove box, it has an Accord look to it. I don't like how Honda interiors feel like they are sloping forward, or have that two-tier set up like Nissan likes. But the car buying public seems to like Hondas, so probably not a bad move for Chevy.

One thing I hate is the Camaro-style instrument cluster. I much prefer an instrument cluster integrated into the dash, not that pod sticking out that the current Malibu, CTS and Altima do.

I'm not sure if I like this more than the current Malibu, aside from the Nav screen. The Sonata however is better than this.

• Agree 1
  • Disagree 2

Oh, I don't know. I know it's certainly better than this:

toyota_camry_interior-7265.jpg

And it'll still be better than whatever Toyota can design to replace it with.

This ass some people are so keen to kiss, well, from what I can tell, the 'Bu should easily match it:

2010-Hyundai-Sonata-Interior-Picture-588x392.jpg

I never really understood what made that interior design so special anyway. There's a peculiar "We rehashed Lexus!" feel about it that I simply don't care for.

07_Lexus_RX350_15.jpg

BFD.

And I don't see any Honda Accord here.

The gauge pods are a little bizarre, but I'll wait to see the entire interior from other angles before I give that detail a thumbs down.

I do also like how the driver and passenger side vents are integrated into the design.

Edited by whiteknight
  • Agree 1
  • Disagree 1

Bad angle, as someone said. Gauge squares look like crap... little cap on top looks like a cheap afterthought. Nav screen I hope has other features, otherwise its a huge waste of real estate... I don't like the angle of the screen... looks to me like something that would have glare issues. Sometimes I think people only like having Nav screens because its like having a futuristic TV in your car... or something like K.I.T.T.

Favorite parts of photo... the giant red button. I think EVERY car should have a giant, shiny, ominous, unmarked red button.

I also think its about time that GM put an equipment rack on the console so I can use my laptop as I drive. Email is MUCH safer than texting. (Yeah, I've emailed from my laptop while driving.) I have long envied being able to drive and port scan.

wow that looks terrible. chevy is really screwing the pooch on the next gen malibu and its future in general with this thing.

if i were CEO i'd order an immediate redesign on a fast track of that interior and get something suitable in the works NOW.

garbage in, garbage out. thank goodness the folks at Opel gave us the Regal. Even the Cruze interior looks to be nicer than this.

I suppose to some degree they are trying to imitate the LaCrosse at least with the gauges.

now i know for certain if i am shopping affordable midsizers I can cross chevy off the list. looks like the choice got a lot simpler. Sonata/Optima, Mazda6, Legacy, Altima should be enough to pick from.

• Agree 1
  • Disagree 2

What don't you like about the car to make you think GM is issuing a grade-A screw up here, reg?

It's a Malibu, not a heavily discounted Bentley Mulsanne. Against the competition, I think this will stand more than a chance.

And, please, what exactly is the sudden fascination with the damn Sonata? It's only grown to new, retarded heights since Hoonday pulled the wraps off of it.

Okay, yeah I get it. Hyundai built something that may actually last longer than the warranty and isn't complete shit for once since they washed up here some 20-odd years ago. Good for them. They're not a complete joke anymore. Woo-hoo.

But let's get real, though. The Sonata isn't the second coming of our long-awaited Lord and Savior Jesus Automotive H. Christ. It isn't even the first, for that matter. What is so damn miraculous about the car? As far as I can tell, it doesn't run on any new-age alternative fuel. It doesn't get 200 lightyears to a gallon of gas. The interior looks like a Lexus-rehash with better detailing and the exterior looks like someone stuck some chrome to the front fenders of a melted Mercedes CLS (yuck). The damn hybrid has the most retarded grin on its face since the Mazda 3.

What's the fascination? It's most certainly not the new class-standard as far as I can see.

Edited by whiteknight
  • Agree 3
  • Disagree 3

It's certainly more interesting than the exterior. These new GM Daewoo sedans seem to have more successful interiors than exteriors, especially with the Cruze.

I like how the A/C vents continue into the doors, even if they are fake. They're kinda retro... the Prius uses similar vents.

What don't you like about the car to make you think GM is issuing a grade-A screw up here, reg?

It's a Malibu, not a heavily discounted Bentley Mulsanne. Against the competition, I think this will stand more than a chance.

And, please, what exactly is the sudden fascination with the damn Sonata? It's only grown to new, retarded heights since Hoonday pulled the wraps off of it.

Okay, yeah I get it. Hyundai built something that may actually last longer than the warranty and isn't complete shit for once since they washed up here some 20-odd years ago. Good for them. They're not a complete joke anymore. Woo-hoo.

But let's get real, though. The Sonata isn't the second coming of our long-awaited Lord and Savior Jesus Automotive H. Christ. It isn't even the first, for that matter. What is so damn miraculous about the car? As far as I can tell, it doesn't run on any new-age alternative fuel. It doesn't get 200 lightyears to a gallon of gas. The interior looks like a Lexus-rehash with better detailing and the exterior looks like someone stuck some chrome to the front fenders of a melted Mercedes CLS (yuck). The damn hybrid has the most retarded grin on its face since the Mazda 3.

What's the fascination? It's most certainly not the new class-standard as far as I can see.

this interior is ugly. and cheap looking. as for the sonata. drive one. people are snapping them up very fast these days. with an interior like this, chevy will not have to worry about that problem, especially with the silly ribbing and cheap looking switchgear.

the sonata is selling because of the math (A lot for a little). plus the interior is very good on the hyundai, it comes off better than the price of the car. GM will nosebleed the pricing on this and the interior will not reflect the price. People will feel like they are getting screwed and move on.

Edited by regfootball
  • Disagree 4

this interior is ugly. and cheap looking.

That's an opinion based on photos of a prototype interior.

as for the sonata. drive one. people are snapping them up very fast these days.

Again, something else I don't get. Someone in the neighborhood picked one up, deep red in color. I had a friend over and his first comment when he saw the car coming down the street was, "Your parents are back in the Aura."

For the sake of things, I'll check one out should the next dealership I go to have one on the lot somewhere. But I don't think that will explain much.

with an interior like this, chevy will not have to worry about that problem, especially with the silly ribbing and cheap looking switchgear.

Again, that's an opinion based on photos of a prototype interior. Wait until you can fondle the dash in person before you write it off as a rehash of the '04 - '07 Malibu interior.

the sonata is selling because of the math (A lot for a little). plus the interior is very good on the hyundai, it comes off better than the price of the car. GM will nosebleed the pricing on this and the interior will not reflect the price.

I'd expect this car to carry a base price of about $21k, maybe a little bit under that. The Sonata starts at just a slight notch below $20k, but that car has a manual transmission (not that I'm complaining) and only one engine: the 2.4L 198 horsepower turbo four-banger. This Malibu will wind up with the 2.4L Ecotec and that engine has 180 horsepower, naturally aspirated. Who knows? Maybe GM will throw a slightly detuned 2.0L turbo in this car, making it good for 200 horses. It will also have an automatic transmission as standard. Standard equipment should be close. So, the basic Sonata that really would be competing here would be the model with an auto trans. The base price on such a Sonata rings in close to 21k in that case and you're only getting 18 more horsepower compared to the Malibu, not that any of the sheeple who will be buying either car will be able to use that extra power or even know the difference in how it feels.

So what exactly is the bargain?

People will feel like they are getting screwed and move on.

Highly unlikely.

Edited by whiteknight
  • Agree 1
  • Disagree 1

I'd expect this car to carry a base price of about $21k, maybe a little bit under that. The Sonata starts at just a slight notch below $20k, but that car has a manual transmission (not that I'm complaining) and only one engine: the 2.4L 198 horsepower turbo four-banger. This Malibu will wind up with the 2.4L Ecotec and that engine has 180 horsepower, naturally aspirated.

The Sonata's 198 hp engine is naturally aspirated. It makes 200 hp with the sport package. The Sonata is currently the #3 selling mid-size car behind the Camry and Accord, with only one engine. This fall, the Sonata Turbo with 274 hp, and Hybrid with 39 mpg city go on sale. Then they've got 3 engine choices.

• Agree 1
  • Disagree 1

The Sonata's 198 hp engine is naturally aspirated. It makes 200 hp with the sport package. The Sonata is currently the #3 selling mid-size car behind the Camry and Accord, with only one engine. This fall, the Sonata Turbo with 274 hp, and Hybrid with 39 mpg city go on sale. Then they've got 3 engine choices.

So I actually had one small detail wrong about the Sonata (the four-pot isn't blown). It still doesn't change the fact the buying public at large won't know the difference between 180 horsepower or 198. It also doesn't change the fact that that's not a real significant gain.

In fact, I had actually forgotten about GM's upcoming family of new four-cylinder engines. I think the Malibu will actually get a 2.5L four-cylinder as its standard engine that may be good for more power than the Sonata's 2.4L.

As for performance and hybrid variants, the Malibu will have those as well. I also remember a GM engineer saying in a news article previously that they would like to reintroduce the BAS system on cars, so maybe the Malibu will have a BAS option in addition to a true hybrid model.

Edited by whiteknight

Have to ageee with Knight as it is hard to be too harsh on this yet since we have not seen the final production form in full trim.

I suspect they may do the interior lighting on the dash like the Buick too and that may play into the ribbing.

While so far it may not be the best interior I have ever seen it is not even close to the worst. Most people will be ok with it. Few complain about the cruddy looking Honda dash.

While I could care less other GPS and start buttons it does show they will have options in a affordable sedan. It fits with Chevys more for the money theme. THey may not be the cheapest car but they may offer things in this class other don't or if they do they will charge much more for them.

The HP thing is not a big deal in this car as long as the SS badge is not on it. There was something about GM doing a Malibu SS and that is where they do need the hardware to back it up. 15 HP or less bettween 4 cylinders in this class is a non issue. Most who buy the 4 judge them by MPG not 0-60. As long as they can merge into traffic they are happy.

The Sonata is currently the #3 selling mid-size car behind the Camry and Accord.

perhaps whiteknight needs to gargle some salt water, and splash some cold water on his face again after rereading that phrase about ten times to let it sink in. It will only get worse for chevy once the new Optima hits the showrooms. Even Nissan is $h!ting their pants over the success of the new Korean cars.

Perhaps WK can tell us exactly what is visible in the interior and exterior photos of the 0-dozen Malibu that will lure buyers of all the other Cahmlees and Accords and other Asian cars into it.

Myself, I would just send people to the Buick showroom, if you can stomach the high asking price just go look at the Regal and LaCrosse and don't waste the time looking at the Chevy's.

Edited by regfootball
  • Agree 2
  • Disagree 2

I suspect they may do the interior lighting on the dash like the Buick too and that may play into the ribbing.

While so far it may not be the best interior I have ever seen it is not even close to the worst. Most people will be ok with it. Few complain about the cruddy looking Honda dash.

While I could care less other GPS and start buttons it does show they will have options in a affordable sedan. It fits with Chevys more for the money theme. THey may not be the cheapest car but they may offer things in this class other don't or if they do they will charge much more for them.

I am sure they are going to try something with the lighting, but that probably won't be on the base cars, and whatever trim they use to fill the gap may just look cheesy. I wish Chevy would stop trying to get silly here, the 08 Mali interior is pretty decent. All that would be needed to improve that is better plastic (especially the doors), and modern stereo and CC. But it looks like here they are going for complex and busy. Chevy doesn't have the Honda exemption i.e. the zealots who buy Honda despite its cheap interiors. I am not sure Chevy has the ability to claim affordability anymore. A new 010 Malibu that still does not have leather can reach close to 27 grand on the sticker, and it requires several thousand in rebates to close the gap. The Asian competition is undercutting chevy at many turns on pricing these days, at worst its pretty much the same. Chevy can make zero claims on price king for all but the cheapest of Malibu's currently. As far as offering things other cars don't i can't imagine what that would be, Malibu doesn't even have NAV yet. Lots of cars can get factory accessory remote start, that is about the only thing GM can lay claim to having equipped in more of its cars. One last thing, if the Cruze is having a hard time matching up to Hyundai Sonata feature for feature pricewise it's probably likely the Malibu will be even more challenged in that area. GM is still dependent on too much padding of the MSRP to have the backup of incentives. Kind of makes it tough out of the chute when early adopters can spread the word whether a car has sticker shock or not.

Put just a little ice in that GM koolaid, the competition is fierce and out for blood, GM can't afford to swing and miss here.

Edited by regfootball
  • Agree 1
  • Disagree 4

perhaps whiteknight needs to gargle some salt water, and splash some cold water on his face again after rereading that phrase about ten times to let it sink in. It will only get worse for chevy once the new Optima hits the showrooms. Even Nissan is $h!ting their pants over the success of the new Korean cars.

Perhaps WK can tell us exactly what is visible in the interior and exterior photos of the 0-dozen Malibu that will lure buyers of all the other Cahmlees and Accords and other Asian cars into it.

Myself, I would just send people to the Buick showroom, if you can stomach the high asking price just go look at the Regal and LaCrosse and don't waste the time looking at the Chevy's.

Pretentious aren't we? Very.

1. Perhaps the '12 Malibu will be nipping at the Sonata's heels or eating its lunch. We don't know yet. THE CAR ISN'T ON SALE YET. Let's not dress up for a supreme act of futility here and eagerly play the role of Ms. Cleo, Reggie Boy. Additionally, what do the Sonata's current sales figures have anything to do with how a car that isn't due out for another year will sell? Nothing.
  2. If I'm reading your statement correctly, you seem to think the current Camry's interior is superior to the upcoming Malibu's.
    mrtlol.gif
    Good one. Seriously. How about you do me one better and tell me what is so special about the competition's interiors that makes this interior so dated and inferior. Granted, you'll be bitching about an interior you've seen from an awkward angle in a photograph taken by a spy photographer, but still. Go on. I'm in the mood to be entertained.
    I'm not giving any sort of in-depth analysis because I haven't even seen the damn thing in person. What would be the point?
  3. Completely stupid statement, but okay. Whatever.

Edited by whiteknight
  • Agree 1

FWIW, my neighbor is a car guy, he drives a 7 series BMW and liked NICE cars.

He just traded his Porsche in on a Sonata, and likes the Hyundai better. Porsche was a Cayenne (the ugly SUV POS they sell)

I hate to sound like SMK, but chevrolet is going to have a fight on it's hands. And yes, Nissan is craping its pants over how good the Koreans are getting. Also, you didn't hear this from me but...I live in central Ohio, and I am a car guy. Honda has it's R and D center in central Ohio.

Honda is very, very, exceedingly, excessively, absolutely, utterly, amazingly and astonishingly upset about how good the Koreans are getting. They are still laughing at GM, but they don't laugh nearly as much as they did in 1995 or 2005.

But the Koreans give them Fits...for their Fits....

[*]If I'm reading your statement correctly, you seem to think the current Camry's interior is superior to the upcoming Malibu's.

There will probably be a new Camry by then and a new Accord soon after...the game keeps moving forward...

There will probably be a new Camry by then and a new Accord soon after...the game keeps moving forward...

Honestly, I'm not expecting much from the Toyota crew.

As for Honda, I do expect high quality material and nice fit and finish, but a design so awkward you won't be able to notice.

But, I could very well be wrong. I'm not going to strut around and act like I'm 100 percent right about a car I know very little about.

I somewhat understand why the hoon-day is selling somewhat OK- local dealer is advertising TENTHOUSANDDOLLARS off of any hyundai (plus, he keeps pronouncing it 'HON-DAY' like he's tailgating another's rep).

Apparently hoonday can't charge what the competition is because no one will pay that much. :rolleyes:

• Agree 2
  • Disagree 2

Toyota and Honda do sell a lot more cars (mid size sedan) than Hyundai or Chevrolet.

Aren't the Camry and Accord right behind the F150 as the best selling vehicles in the USA?

Toyota and Honda do sell a lot more cars (mid size sedan) than Hyundai or Chevrolet.

Aren't the Camry and Accord right behind the F150 as the best selling vehicles in the USA?

I believe so..as they have been for years...Generica's favorite cars..

Pretentious aren't we? Very.

1. Perhaps the '12 Malibu will be nipping at the Sonata's heels or eating its lunch. We don't know yet. THE CAR ISN'T ON SALE YET. Let's not dress up for a supreme act of futility here and eagerly play the role of Ms. Cleo, Reggie Boy. Additionally, what do the Sonata's current sales figures have anything to do with how a car that isn't due out for another year will sell? Nothing.
  2. If I'm reading your statement correctly, you seem to think the current Camry's interior is superior to the upcoming Malibu's.
    mrtlol.gif
    Good one. Seriously. How about you do me one better and tell me what is so special about the competition's interiors that makes this interior so dated and inferior. Granted, you'll be bitching about an interior you've seen from an awkward angle in a photograph taken by a spy photographer, but still. Go on. I'm in the mood to be entertained.
    I'm not giving any sort of in-depth analysis because I haven't even seen the damn thing in person. What would be the point?
  3. Completely stupid statement, but okay. Whatever.

I actually don't care much for the current Camry interior, but at the same time its not an epic fail. it is more digestible to the geriatric toyota fan base than the ugly accord interior.

It's the sort of comfort food that is served at family get togethers. It might be a noodle based dish, made with two or three different cans of campbell's soup, and it's got those cnion bits on top. No can really say anything bad about it, and its about what you would expect to find at such a gathering.

The Camry interior is about what you would expect to find in a Camry, and no one really will say anything bad about it other than, 'a little bland, and maybe too much salt'. But they don't leave hungry.

problem is that one reason people of all demographics are buying the sonata IS the interior.

how many GM products have sold based upon their interiors?

Edited by regfootball
  • Agree 1
  • Disagree 1

I actually don't care much for the current Camry interior, but at the same time its not an epic fail. it is more digestible to the geriatric toyota fan base than the ugly accord interior.

Funny thing about Camry demographic....it seems to resonate w/ buyers of all ages...I know plenty of Camry buyers under 40, under 30, some under 25 (that bought new ones over the last decade).

One of my ex coworkers bought a new Camry. (late thirties) I wanted to rip him for it, and then it struck me, he is not a car guy at all. And he is one of those people that is not a 'shopper'. I am pretty sure he heard 'Toyota good' and they just went and got one. I figured if that's what they want, more power to them.

As far as I know, he is not 'unhappy' in any way with the Camry.

I actually don't care much for the current Camry interior, but at the same time its not an epic fail.

toyota-camry-interior-sev6-optional-trim.jpg

If it isn't an epic failure, it's borderline:

• !!!TED!!! went to an auto show a few years back and could easily remove trim pieces without any force. Am I the only one who still remembers that?
  • There's a lot of hard plastic used with mediocre textures.
  • The switchgear feels cheep.
  • The gauges have sort of an early '90s S10/Blazer thing going on when they're backlit, especially the tach.
  • Who wants a cheap Timex alarm clock sitting on top of their dashboard?
  • The design looks tall, fat, and flat (from a head-on view). It's also kinda awkward like everything else tall, fat, and flat.
  • I typically see a lot of inconsistent panel gaps IRL.

Yes, I have checked out a current-gen Camry in person. When we bought the Aura, we bought the car during all of the "us versus them" hooplah. Quantrell Saturn of Lexington had a Camry sitting out in front of the dealership for demo purposes. I also can't remember the last time I went to Georgetown and didn't park next to one of these things. When I do I sometimes give the car a decent stare-down inside.

it is more digestible to the geriatric toyota fan base than the ugly accord interior.

Well of course. It's Toyota's fanbase you're talking about here, not Honda's.

It's the sort of comfort food that is served at family get togethers. It might be a noodle based dish, made with two or three different cans of campbell's soup, and it's got those cnion bits on top. No can really say anything bad about it, and its about what you would expect to find at such a gathering.

In my case, the family reunion comfort food you would be talking about would be potato salad. I always avoid it and I can think of plenty of bad things to say about it.

The Camry interior is about what you would expect to find in a Camry, and no one really will say anything bad about it other than, 'a little bland, and maybe too much salt'. But they don't leave hungry.

It's hard to leave anywhere hungry when you were starving to begin with.

As for the Camry's "quiet and unassuming" personality/metaphor/stereotype/profile/whatever, well, Ed Gein was considered to be pretty quiet and unassuming before they found out what he was up to and wrapped him up and sent him to the funny farm. I don't trust anything quiet and unassuming. I don't want to be a seat cover.

problem is that one reason people of all demographics are buying the sonata IS the interior.

Source?

What's so special and unique about it that we haven't seen before? That's the question I'm not getting an answer for.

how many GM products have sold based upon their interiors?

New CTS, GMT-900s, some later Saturn products ... just off of the top of my head since it seems to me like this is more so a question of "Which GM products sold to the press well because of a pretty interior design?"

Edited by whiteknight
  • Agree 2

One of my ex coworkers bought a new Camry. (late thirties) I wanted to rip him for it, and then it struck me, he is not a car guy at all. And he is one of those people that is not a 'shopper'. I am pretty sure he heard 'Toyota good' and they just went and got one. I figured if that's what they want, more power to them.

As far as I know, he is not 'unhappy' in any way with the Camry.

I've had friends and co-workers explain Toyota purchases as the 'safe' choice, the 'obvious' choice, and a 'no-brainer'..' no doubt word of mouth and Consumer Reports.

toyota-camry-interior-sev6-optional-trim.jpg

If it isn't an epic failure, it's borderline:

• !!!TED!!! went to an auto show a few years back and could easily remove trim pieces without any force. Am I the only one who still remembers that?
  • There's a lot of hard plastic used with mediocre textures.
  • The switchgear feels cheep.
  • The gauges have sort of an early '90s S10/Blazer thing going on when they're backlit, especially the tach.
  • Who wants a cheap Timex alarm clock sitting on top of their dashboard?
  • The design looks tall, fat, and flat (from a head-on view). It's also kinda awkward like everything else tall, fat, and flat.
  • I typically see a lot of inconsistent panel gaps IRL.

Yes, I have checked out a current-gen Camry in person. When we bought the Aura, we bought the car during all of the "us versus them" hooplah. Quantrell Saturn of Lexington had a Camry sitting out in front of the dealership for demo purposes. I also can't remember the last time I went to Georgetown and didn't park next to one of these things. When I do I sometimes give the car a decent stare-down inside.

Well of course. It's Toyota's fanbase you're talking about here, not Honda's.

In my case, the family reunion comfort food you would be talking about would be potato salad. I always avoid it and I can think of plenty of bad things to say about it.

It's hard to leave anywhere hungry when you were starving to begin with.

As for the Camry's "quiet and unassuming" personality/metaphor/stereotype/profile/whatever, well, Ed Gein was considered to be pretty quiet and unassuming before they found out what he was up to and wrapped him up and sent him to the funny farm. I don't trust anything quiet and unassuming. I don't want to be a seat cover.

Source?

What's so special and unique about it that we haven't seen before? That's the question I'm not getting an answer for.

New CTS, GMT-900s, some later Saturn products ... just off of the top of my head since it seems to me like this is more so a question of "Which GM products sold to the press well because of a pretty interior design?"

worked up into a tizzy i see....

i thought the Aura had a pretty decent interior, which is why its so tough to see GM downgrade the interior on this new Malibu.

The Aura was simple and purposeful.

The Camry is pretty awful.

Let's also not pretend that the Sonata is the end-all, be-all of midsize interiors. It's not. However, its pretty damn good with a flowing design, abundance of features, and excellent material and build quality. Then, its combined with a powertrain that outpowers its 4cyl competition and gets better fuel economy. Add to that its expressive exterior design (which may or may not be in your taste, but you can't say its boring) and finally, its price that undercuts its rivals. It really is a winning combination. It shouldn't be a surprise to anyone that it was the 3rd best-selling midsizer last month (its 6th overall YTD).

Edited by blackviper8891

It's amazing how the new Sonata became #3 in such a short period of time. The then-new AURA never caught on even after 2 years, and the current Malibu is still outsold by the dated Impala. Amazing how well the 2010 Fusion is doing, too, especially considering it's just an update of an old car. Could be because Ford's marketing, branding, and advertising is exponentially better than Chevy, I mean, Chevrolet's.