Sign in to follow this  
NINETY EIGHT REGENCY

1999 Buick Riviera sales training videos

That is a car that is still very attractive today.

I'd agree with that, aside from the length of it, especially in the trunk. The front looks good and so do the tail lamps, but for a 2-door it is too long. The 90s Aurora being 4 door I think looks better. I think the Auroras look so good over time because they have no grille, the Riviera grill is pretty small. I always liked the Lincoln Mark VIII as well, but that car was also too long for a 2-door.

I love my Riviera, and love the fact it is a full size coupe. I come from driving old land yachts so I'm a bit biased to large cars. Despite the fact I have a fully loaded '95, this video makes me wish I had gone with a '99 for the series II motor as well as the additional features which weren't an option yet in '95. The video makes me sad to know that here GM is promoting all the virtues of owning a Riviera and yet just a few short months later they ended up killing it off.

but for a 2-door it is too long.

Not even close to being too long. Sure, I would argue a '71 New Yorker 2 door or Mercury Marquis 2 door is a bit too long. However, most of the Rivieras were just right (1986-1993 were definitely TOO SHORT!). I'm perfectly capable of parking it and I like the luxury of SPACE... something people seem to have lost touch with. It was meant to be a large, luxury coupe. If you wanted a small coupe, get a Cavalier.

The '95-'99 Rivs had what I thought was the best styled Buick interior in decades... or since. It was super comfortable. It was one of the few cars since the demise of the '88 G-body coupes that I was able to get in and out of without a serious hassle. I very nearly bought a Riv instead of the Bonneville... a shocker considering how much I prefer Pontiacs over Buicks (I would have killed for a Pontiac version of the Riv, i.e., a Bonne coupe.).

Only downside to the Riv is it being FWD half its life.

That complaint video was actually pretty funny, and I've had the water leak on the rear door seals on my Riviera happen at car washes too. I just assumed that after so many years the rubber had worn a bit, but I can see this was the intended design all along. I can see where people might think of it as poor quality, but I guess it's just a minor drawback to the styling of the car. The water is never enough of a problem to damage anything in the interior, it's usually a few drips on the door panel.

Here is a nice video Buick made to deal with all the customer complaints that Buicks get.

This is where Buickman must have gotten his inspiration from.

That is a car that is still very attractive today.

I agree 100%. It was gorgeous then and it is still gorgeous today. I think GM marketed it as a real car with concept car looks when it first came out, if I remember correctly. I think that is one time that the marketing hype definitely matched the vehicle.

This is where Buickman must have gotten his inspiration from.

I still am wondering how it is physically possible to not only sell 4000 cars a year yourself, but also to be a real estate mogul at the same time.

imagine those naughty videos where the girl, or guy, or whatever, just goes from one, to the next, to the next, the deal is done. the next one in line steps up.

to sell that many cars has got to be analogous to that. people queued up outside the sales office, ushered in the door, printed contract set down on the desk (still warm from the last person who signed their papers).....fresh ink pens replaced every ten minutes.....

not even enough time to say 'so, can i get you set up with that fabric protection then?'.

Riviera to some degree represented the pinnacle of Buick for me. Sort of like the last best disco songs before it quickly became irrelevant or when hair band music was at its epic on the verge of crash and then Nirvana came in and messed up the world. I wanted the 95-99 Riv badly, as bad as i wanted an Aurora. By late 90's the STS design changed, the Aurora and Riv were GM's most stylish cars, then it quickly seemed to all crash.

I didn't want a 3800 in my car, and by that point in time the Riv was out i wanted 4 doors. to me the front end design of the Riviera needed to be revised to be more of a laid down design like (I think the first Lucerne concept or was it some other car) because the production front and grille looked a bit unfinished and awkward. Some folks did not like the rear of the Riv with its taillight design and extra long butt / JLo ass. But I actually like big butts and i cannot lie. At least on the Riv.

The other area that the Riv fell apart on was the interior. I actually liked the design theme as i grew up on very horiztonal Buick dashes with the inset gauges. But the plastic was so cheap and the console was so cheap it ruined what might have been a nice elegant design that instead looked sparse and cheap. The gauge faces, the shifter, the integration of the radio and cc all looked really bad. The plastic itself on the inside was reason not to buy the car. It's odd, because the Riv seats were good and had decent leather if I recall.

Truth is now if i could find one as a beater to drive for awhile that would be cool.

I like the clean styling of ear slicer (frameless) doors, but I vowed never to have a car like that again after my diamantes.

TO me in some ways the interior of the new LaCrosse is almost like a finished and evolved theme on the interior of that gen Riviera.

Edited by regfootball

TO me in some ways the interior of the new LaCrosse is almost like a finished and evolved theme on the interior of that gen Riviera.

Yes, I thought that way, too... especially in the way the door connects with the dash.

buick-lacrosse-interior-hyb.jpg

interior3_finished.JPG

Edited by pow

EXACTLY. the lacrosse interior is like the Riviera naturally evolving 10 years down the pike

aside from the cheap plastics and sloppy detailing I do like the overall AURA of the LaCrosse interior.

Edited by regfootball

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

About us

CheersandGears.com - Founded 2001

We  Cars

Get in touch

Follow us

Recent tweets

facebook