Changes ...

Blake Noble

Well that sucks. Good old GM I guess. Mileage stored in the BCM FTW!

Actually, Chrysler is the first automaker I've heard of storing the mileage in anything other than the cluster.

Hmmm ... wonder if there are colored equivalents of the stock bulbs out there. I'm mainly interested in just changing the back lighting, not changing the bulbs to LEDs (except for the odometer where I would have to swap it out).

Maybe I'll skip on this for a while and just worry about getting the bezel on there.

Usually, the cluster itself, along with any buttons or switches, will probably be lit with LEDs. It namely depends what sort of voltage the LED is running. Alot of the time, you'll find the stock lighting using 12-volt LEDs. You have to make sure to use the correct voltage LED. If you choose a lower voltage LED, then you have to deal with resistors and whatnot. If it is lit with bulbs, sometimes you'll find an overlay that gives it the color, with the bulbs being clear. With the white backlighting in Chevrolets, there's a good chance you won't find an overlay that, but they make little colored condom-like covers for bulbs. :P

Well, I've found a complete ebony leather interior for my car two counties over as well as the bezel.

http://lexington.craigslist.org/pts/1950627554.html

I guess that guy has a F4 graveyard.

Actually, Chrysler is the first automaker I've heard of storing the mileage in anything other than the cluster.

Well, hats off to Chrysler for doing it their way. It makes sense to store mileage in the BCM, really. Clusters and digital odometers can go bad easily and installing a new one with incorrect mileage can make you look like you're up to no good, especially if you ever sell the car.

Usually, the cluster itself, along with any buttons or switches, will probably be lit with LEDs. It namely depends what sort of voltage the LED is running. Alot of the time, you'll find the stock lighting using 12-volt LEDs. You have to make sure to use the correct voltage LED. If you choose a lower voltage LED, then you have to deal with resistors and whatnot. If it is lit with bulbs, sometimes you'll find an overlay that gives it the color, with the bulbs being clear. With the white backlighting in Chevrolets, there's a good chance you won't find an overlay that, but they make little colored condom-like covers for bulbs. :P

There is a sheet of blue, transparent film sandwiched in between the cluster overlay and the back section of the housing. However, it's such a very, very light shade of blue, I don't see why GM bothered. I guess a darker colored film would bring out more color in the backlighting since the bulbs are white, but then you'd still be swapping out the odometer's LED to make it match everything else. Ah, it's too much trouble. I still want the Firebird bezel, though.

Edited by whiteknight

There is a sheet of blue, transparent film sandwiched in between the cluster overlay and the back section of the housing. However, it's such a very, very light shade of blue, I don't see why GM bothered. I guess a darker colored film would bring out more color in the backlighting since the bulbs are white, but then you'd still be swapping out the odometer's LED to make it match everything else. Ah, it's too much trouble. I still want the Firebird bezel, though.

The odometer screen is another story. With that, there's a little film sandwiched inbetween that gives the screen its color. Basically, you can reverse it to where the coloring of the background and numbers switch, or replace it with a film of the color you want. I've heard of people taking the film out of an old alarm clock screen and using in their cluster.

The odometer screen is another story. With that, there's a little film sandwiched inbetween that gives the screen its color. Basically, you can reverse it to where the coloring of the background and numbers switch, or replace it with a film of the color you want. I've heard of people taking the film out of an old alarm clock screen and using in their cluster.

Hmmmmmm ... this may bear further investigation when I get the new overlays. Everyone has been saying, "Change out your LEDs, change them out. It won't work as well any other way."

I'm sure I could buy new film at a crafts store like Hobby Lobby, unless the thickness of the film is too thin/thick.

I also realized that I might could finally buy sunshades (fits over the interior side of the T-Tops) tomorrow so that the car isn't so unbearable to get into next summer. I'm also sure the Hurst shifter won't agree with hot temperatures either.

So tomorrow's parts list will be:

• All four seats
  • Door panels
  • Firebird gauge bezel and lens
  • Sunshades

That's all of the interior work out of the way, except for deep cleaning the carpet, installing new gauge overlays and maybe changing out lighting film, and installing a T56 short stick from the WS6 Store to further reduce effort in shifting throws.

Then, moving on to the exterior:

• SS Spoiler (Mecham's Z29R spoiler looks unique and is actually functional)
  • 'Vette wheels and ties (C5 and up, maybe C4 depending, this will be one of two exterior mods I perform first)
  • SLP grille insert with gold bowtie outline
  • '93 - '96 tail light swap (easy to find the parts for this, although I may go ahead and buy them tomorrow)
  • Upgraded headlights and front turn signal light lenses
  • Some sort of stripe package

Basically, I want to eventually have built a better SLP RS and maybe find someway to tie Hurst into the whole package (HuRSt = H-RS package lol?):

02blackRS-21k.jpg

http://sites.google.com/site/brangeta/slprs

I don't know. I'll be revising ideas as I go along.

Edited by whiteknight

Basically, there's a few good threads about it on the Vortex. I've long planned on eventually switching all of my backlighting to red, like later Volkswagens. But, I don't plan on doing it until I get one worth investing in.

Here's a great DIY on LCD mods

I thought the colored film you can buy at arts and crafts stores would work. :P

Regarding another VW for you, if you should want to take a road trip: linkage

Edited by whiteknight

I have one in mind, its just a matter of contacting the seller. He's a bitch to get a hold of. Won't answer his emails and I've only been able to get him once on his phone. Since that one time, I've gotten a "This Virgin Mobile number has been temporarily disconnected" so it sounds like the guy can't pay his phone bill.

If I do eventually get a hold of him again, it looks to be in better condition than mine. It also happens to be a very rare car. In 1994, instead of a GTI, VW offered a Golf "Limited Edition" or otherwise known as a Golf Sport. Basically, it came with all the GTI goodies including rare plaid sport seats, the only ones to ever be offered in MK3s. They offered this model for 1995, as well, in addition to the GTI. There differences were in the engine. The first year GTI's saw the introduction of the VR6 and only offered that engine while the Golf Sport had the 2.0.

It won't be the VR6 I always wanted, but its dirt cheap. As long as the 2.0 runs good, it'll be a good buy.

Clicky

I have one in mind, its just a matter of contacting the seller. He's a bitch to get a hold of. Won't answer his emails and I've only been able to get him once on his phone. Since that one time, I've gotten a "This Virgin Mobile number has been temporarily disconnected" so it sounds like the guy can't pay his phone bill.

If I do eventually get a hold of him again, it looks to be in better condition than mine. It also happens to be a very rare car. In 1994, instead of a GTI, VW offered a Golf "Limited Edition" or otherwise known as a Golf Sport. Basically, it came with all the GTI goodies including rare plaid sport seats, the only ones to ever be offered in MK3s. They offered this model for 1995, as well, in addition to the GTI. There differences were in the engine. The first year GTI's saw the introduction of the VR6 and only offered that engine while the Golf Sport had the 2.0.

It won't be the VR6 I always wanted, but its dirt cheap. As long as the 2.0 runs good, it'll be a good buy.

Clicky

$1400? That is a good buy, considering the car appears to be in good shape and may one day be desirable to a collector. If it's reliable, then I think you'll more than get your money's worth out of it.

Hmmmm ... well, Virgin Mobile is a pay-as-you-go service, so he may have run out of minutes. Hopefully he hasn't sat around on his thumbs too long about buying another card to re-up his service. If he has, then he has a new number because that's what those services tend to do -- change someone's number -- when someone gets lazy about buying more minutes on time. I'd also bet he probably also checks his e-mail by phone too.

Edited by whiteknight

Hmmm ... I've narrowed the grille insert down to two.

The SLP insert (see SLP RS earlier)or one from Wings West that actually looks great, provided you throw away the chicken wire:

post-8523-12857270941226.jpg

I'm a little torn here. I really like the SLP insert, but I think the Bowtie is a little bit overkill considering that I'll have a Camaro badge just a few inches above it on the nose cone. I also like the Wings West insert, but then again it's a little too plain.

I've thought about driving down to that town and just driving around looking for that car and find him the hard way. I'm fairly set on that car, it's not something I want to pass up without a fight. :P

I understand where you're coming from there. I had the same no-compromise attitude when I really wanted a F2 T/A (too bad my no compromise attitude wasn't enough). :P

Well, no such luck on a new interior. I couldn't find where the guy was located, couldn't get in contact with him later for additional directions, and Google Maps failed me due to a lack of cell phone service.

But I didn't come home today empty handed. I scored a set of new taillights for $40 bucks.

24ed78f3.jpg

Here's the other thing I did. I changed the location of the Camaro dash plaque on the IP bezel. :P

97775b30.jpg

Edited by whiteknight

That is becoming quite the nice little 'maro, knight....

Thank ya. :D

I think I am going to go with a theme based on the SLP RS. I think I'll go ahead and find a used grille on eBay.

The interior swap can always come later. As for the Firebird bezel/lens, I found a brand new one online for $30 bucks. We'll see. I realized today that my lens is dull beyond belief when I washed and detailed the car after installing the new taillights.

Hmmm ... I've narrowed the grille insert down to two.

The SLP insert (see SLP RS earlier)or one from Wings West that actually looks great, provided you throw away the chicken wire:

post-8523-12857270941226.jpg

I'm a little torn here. I really like the SLP insert, but I think the Bowtie is a little bit overkill considering that I'll have a Camaro badge just a few inches above it on the nose cone. I also like the Wings West insert, but then again it's a little too plain.

I'm sorry but... ick.

• Agree 2

Bad gaskets? I think not.

Two separate mechanics confirmed this for me: the dealer was wrong. As for why the oil looked a touch milky before, that's something we couldn't figure out. At the moment, it looks like Pennzoil Platinum. I've driven it on two separate, fairly long trips and the radiator is full of coolant.

Edited by whiteknight