Sign in to follow this  
NewsFeeder

Report: GM will sell diesel passenger car in the U.S.

24 posts in this topic

Filed under: GM, Diesel

USDOT DEER 2010 DetroitSources (i.e., email tips and a Tweet from Ward's Auto) are telling us that General Motors Vice Chairman Tom Stephens told attendees at the Directions in Engine-Efficiency and Emissions Research (DEER) conference in Detroit today that a diesel-engined passenger car is coming to the U.S. sometime in the future. Nothing has been officially decided, but Stephens indicated that GM has a portfolio of diesels to draw from, noting that it's up to the marketing department to define what engine and platform might be used, let alone what brand it would be marketed under. What might we see? Maybe something along the line of a GM Jetta?

GM has been talking up diesels in the U.S. for years, but oil-burning powertrains haven't gotten quite the attention that the plug-in Voltec in the forthcoming Chevrolet Volt has (how could it?). Now that the cat is at least poking its head out of the bag, we wonder if the German automakers, who are having a bit of success with oil-burning powerplants here, are worried. Unlikely, but at least we could get more options - and would it kill GM to make the new car officially B100-capable from the start?

[source: Ward's Auto Twitter]

Report: GM will sell diesel passenger car in the U.S. originally appeared on Autoblog on Mon, 27 Sep 2010 16:01:00 EST. Please see our terms for use of feeds.

Permalink | Email this | Comments

di
di

autoblog?i=0bkbUPyQgIY:qbXkelM4E4o:wF9xT autoblog?i=0bkbUPyQgIY:qbXkelM4E4o:V_sGL
0bkbUPyQgIY

View the full article

Now to built the best engine they can and convince the American public to buy them.

The first one will be easy the second will be a challange I fear.

Mazda's upcoming diesel is probably helping to put GM's feet to the fire. But will we be seeing the 2.9L and 4.5L diesels? Those are exactly what GM needs, as they're state of the art, efficient, and boast amazing power figures.

GENERAL MOTORS PLANNING TO BRING DIESEL CARS TO U.S. SHOWROOMS

By Mark Kleis

Although General Motors and its fellow American automakers have not offered diesel-powered passengers cars in the U.S. for years, spokesman from GM has confirmed that the automaker is actively working on bringing a diesel car to market.

The latest suggestion that GM would tempt fate and try a diesel car in the U.S. yet again came from Dan Flores, a public relations representative from GM. Flores told Edmunds that the automaker is currently considering a "wide variety of offerings."

Although Flores confirmed internal diesel talk is well underway, the rep stopped well short of spilling the beans on what types of vehicles we may see the engines in, or when. Flores' statements came after GM vice chairman Top Stephens confirmed to Ward's Auto that GM will in fact sell a diesel car in the U.S.

Given GM's recent adoption of European-sourced products such as re-badged Opel's serving as Buicks, the automaker has the option of using existing diesel powertrains with relatively low introduction and development costs due to their European use. This would give GM a relatively low-risk opportunity to test the market before fully committing to diesel production for the U.S.

That said, GM's current small car diesel engines are getting somewhat long in the tooth, meaning the automaker may instead opt to develop all-new, more efficient and more emissions friendly diesels from the ground up with the intention of U.S. consumption.

link:

http://www.leftlanenews.com/general-motors-planning-to-bring-diesel-cars-to-u-s-showrooms.html

Now to built the best engine they can and convince the American public to buy them.

The first one will be easy the second will be a challange I fear.

Plenty of Americans buy diesel Jettas. GM could do the same w/ a diesel Cruze.

The Aveo and Malibu could also benefit from diesels.

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar

Plenty of Americans buy diesel Jettas. GM could do the same w/ a diesel Cruze.

The Aveo and Malibu could also benefit from diesels.

Well Jettas do sell a good percentage of Diesels of the total Jettas. Also most are diehard VW or Audi buyers. In fact it is easy to sell a German car fan a Diesel.

Now go big picture as most average American buyers do not understand Deisels and often have unfavorable impressions of them. Fair or not the stigma is there. Also add to it the GM Olds Diesel is still in the memory of many American buyer.

To do well GM needs to make the best damn Diesel they can and make sure there are no issues of any kind as the the spector of the Olds will be brought back by the media. Also GM will need to market and educate the average American on these engines.

As it is now the German buyers are not likely to switch to American cars and the Truck guys who understand are not going to move to smaller cars. GM needs to win over the normal gas engine buyer and sell them on why they should spend the extra money for the more expensive engine.

I would like to see a small Diesel 4 in a Volt but the issue there is old fuel if it does not get used. Ols Fuel and Moisture is not a friend of Diesel.

I am all for these engines as I have seen the Audi Lemans cars on the track and know what they can do is amazing. Just it will have to take some extra work to sell them here in any great numbers. GM will just have to make sure to follow through.

He says "The malibu is the obvious choice for the diesel"

I disagree.

The obvious choice for the diesel is the Regal. First, it sells at a premium already, so getting someone to spring an extra 2 grand in this class wouldn't be a stretch. Second, it requires no new engineering as it's already available in the Opel Insignia. All they've gotta do is clear emissions with it.

He says "The malibu is the obvious choice for the diesel"

I disagree.

The obvious choice for the diesel is the Regal. First, it sells at a premium already, so getting someone to spring an extra 2 grand in this class wouldn't be a stretch. Second, it requires no new engineering as it's already available in the Opel Insignia. All they've gotta do is clear emissions with it.

The Cruze is an obvious choice for diesel for the same reasons...it's available w/ a diesel in Europe, isn't it?

You are correct sir, but I'm not sure if it's the more modern diesel the Insignia has, may not be able to pass emissions.

Ah...I would have thought they would have had the same diesel engine (or the Cruze a smaller displacement version), but then again, I'm not up on the specs GM's European diesel offerings...

I see what GM is doing. They are covering their bases by not putting all their eggs in one basket. They will have electric cars, diesels, hybrids, and high mileage 4 cylinders, and V6's and turbo 4's.

The old GM would not have not done that.

I see what GM is doing. They are covering their bases by not putting all their eggs in one basket. They will have electric cars, diesels, hybrids, and high mileage 4 cylinders, and V6's and turbo 4's.

The old GM would not have not done that.

Right! Old GM would have just slapped the 3800 in there (as much I like that engine) and called it a day.

Right! Old GM would have just slapped the 3800 in there (as much I like that engine) and called it a day.

Agreed! I wished the 3800 would have been redesigned and still used. I say that for several reasons because it has a strong history and it is reliable and durable. They keep redesigning the Chevrolet small block V8 and using it, they could have done that with the 3800 and I think it would be a better engine today.

Well, the biggest limitation for the 3800 was it's 90 degree design that makes it slightly harder to package in smaller engine bays. The 3900 was the next step in the line and it was switched to a 60 degree design. If you like the 3800, you'll probably also like the 3900... I know I did.

Well, the biggest limitation for the 3800 was it's 90 degree design that makes it slightly harder to package in smaller engine bays. The 3900 was the next step in the line and it was switched to a 60 degree design. If you like the 3800, you'll probably also like the 3900... I know I did.

I know they use the 3900 in a lot of cars. I know Lucerne and Impala use it. It was interesting to find that out. So how much of the 3900 is 3800 based?

None. New block, new design. The 3900 is related to the 3500. It has slightly staggered cylinder banks. It's actually a distant relative to the old 2.8 and 3.1 V6es, but not close enough to be considered truly related. They are not at all related to the 3800 other than the GM logo.

None. New block, new design. The 3900 is related to the 3500. It has slightly staggered cylinder banks. It's actually a distant relative to the old 2.8 and 3.1 V6es, but not close enough to be considered truly related. They are not at all related to the 3800 other than the GM logo.

I read what you said somewhere a long time ago. I cannot remember where. I was not a fan of the 2.8 and 3.1 V6's. I know 3.1 came out of 2.8. I still wish they could redesign it and bring it back.

I read what you said somewhere a long time ago. I cannot remember where. I was not a fan of the 2.8 and 3.1 V6's. I know 3.1 came out of 2.8. I still wish they could redesign it and bring it back.

I'm not sure what the point of that would be..GM has moved on the variations of the 3.6 OHC family of V6s..

I'm not sure what the point of that would be..GM has moved on the variations of the 3.6 OHC family of V6s..

They have redesigned and continue to use that same V8 they have had for years that goes back decades. The same thing could be said about that. I am just making a point. They have no where to put the 3800 anyway if they did. GM should come out with that diesel V8 they had planned to debut but did not due to bankruptcy.

The 3800 was a good engine, but the 3.6HF surpasses it now

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this