Zeta Buick called Invicta?

buickguy

I would prefer Statesman or Roadmaster over Invicta. Invicta just doesn't do anything for me. It was a short run nameplate in Buick's past that holds very little emotional sentiment when I hear it. I'm not saying that to offend Invicta fans. It's just me.

I'd prefer a more renowned name like Roadmaster, or a new name like Statesman for Buick's "return to glory" flagship sedan.

The Zeta Buick will probably be called Lucerne, because the Lucerne replacement is probably going on that platform.  We already know that there will be no more new cars on the G or W body platforms.

probably depends on how succesful Lucerne is between now and then and whether that name has any cache left or whether it has to be tossed for a new one.

Impala could make the leap from FWD to RWD, I'm not so sure about Lucerne.

probably depends on how succesful Lucerne is between now and then and whether that name has any cache left or whether it has to be tossed for a new one.

You're right. Plus Bob Lutz has a history at all of the automakers he has worked at of renaming cars.

I don't know. Statesman or Roadmaster are too "baroque."

Electra or Invicta, both past names, are better and easier for the consuming public to grasp. Actually, because there is no Ebonicized "deuce and a quarter" connection to the Electra, I prefer Invicta. It may not sell in Europe, though...Invicta is to knapsacks what Eastpak and Janssport are over here. Just a thought.

Nothing wrogn with Roadmaster although same can be said for Invicta & Electra. I'll agree with you guys about Statesman though... sounds cheesy like a carrige top edition.

Has MT ever been correct?

Sure they have... back in 95 & 96 they were pretty acurate with their reportage of the C5. Other times they've made mostly acurate predictions, but like anyone trying to predict the future they've had foot-in-mouth disease on occassion.

This Buick naming busines is getting rather silly! We have the LaCrosse and the Lucerne and now we might have the Invicta! The names are getting dumber and dumber per car!!

No to the Electra (images of a bad movie and 70's) and no the Invicta which means what?

Actually I just found out Invicta has a meaning.

Semper Invicta is the motto of Warsaw, Poland, which means Always Invincible.

That's where AMD got the name Sempron as well.

And for some strange reason Invicta sounds very powerful to me. Maybe because of this.

Edited by ToniCipriani

I tell you, I'm not a fan of the Invicta name, but give me an awesome car, I mean, truly incredible in every way (and I know Buick can do it), then the name won't really bother me too much, because I'll then associate it with a masterpiece, which is, the important part.

This Buick naming busines is getting rather silly!  We have the LaCrosse and the Lucerne and now we might have the Invicta!  The names are getting dumber and dumber per car!!

No to the Electra (images of a bad movie and 70's) and no the Invicta which means what?

Yeah, we need names like G6 or GWizz. They really mean something. :rolleyes:

What would you suggest? Do you have any suggestions?

To me, Roadmaster always gives me the image of the Roadmasters of the early 90s, Electra brings up bile wretching moments of that stupid movie, AND hearing people call the car a Deuce and a quarter....Invicta doesn't really light a fire under my ass either, and Statesman DOES sound like a brand of luggage......pick something else.....like I dunno....Park Avenue!

This Buick naming busines is getting rather silly!  We have the LaCrosse and the Lucerne and now we might have the Invicta!  The names are getting dumber and dumber per car!!

Invicta would be a great retro-fitted name. It's good for Buick to show they have not forgotten their heritage. I might agree with you if Buick never made an Invicta before, but it's better than getting another name like LaCrosse that was just supposed to remind people of LeSabre in name.

Invicta comes from a latin word, roughly translated means "not being able to be

conquered," invincible. We had a 1960 Invicta four door hardtop, 1st Buick,

I got my driver's license when we had it, I likd the name a lot better than Lucerne

or Lacrosse, I would prefer Invicta or Electra, the last Buick we had a 1967 225

before we switched to Cadillac in 1970. I am a real fan of those older Buicks, I

haven't really cared for the styling of any Buick since 1969 We also had a 1964

Wildcat, that was a beautiful car, too.

If it is to be a "new" platform, why drag old baggage & images?

I vote for a new one, "Supreme"!!!!!!!!

Yes, let's just bring back Oldsmobile names from the 1970's and 1980's.

Oops! I forgot that one. But......

I was thinking in literal terms and the meaning of the word, rather than

some cockamame made up French word!

Excuse me........................ :duh:

Maybe it makes you think of "vindictive".

Hehe.

I can't wait for the ultimate Buick flagship.

I hope its styling will make you catch your breath.

I'll go on record as being in favor of the Invicta name too. It's a memorable and catchy name, and was a great Buick from the past. Buick needs all the help they can get right now ! A vette platform sportscar & a zeta platfom 4 door sedan may just do the trick, both are complimentary to Pontiac, with a Solstice and GTO.