Sign in to follow this  
NINETY EIGHT REGENCY

GM’s new-product pipeline is alive and well

16 posts in this topic

GM’s new-product pipeline is alive and well

September 24, 2010 - 4:20 pm ET

Rick Kranz is product editor for Automotive News

With bankruptcy in the rearview mirror, General Motors Co. has the pedal to the metal, developing several new vehicle programs.

In case you missed it, in the past seven weeks GM executives have revealed three new vehicles that have gotten the green light.

In early August, then-CEO Ed Whitacre announced that a Cadillac luxury sedan is planned.

The Cadillac will be a rear-drive, low-volume model. The media is reporting an expected six-figure price tag, possibly around $130,000 -- a Mercedes-Benz S-class, BMW 7-series competitor. The vehicle is aimed to continue Cadillac’s momentum in the United States, plus create buzz and credibility in Europe and China.

Additionally, Whitacre said a minivan has been approved. No details were given.

Sources tell me the minivan is about the size of the Chrysler Town & Country. This time GM has the right formula, they say. Past GM minivans were compromise vehicles, sized to appeal to North American and European buyers. They appealed to few buyers.

Presumably, the minivan will be sold by Chevrolet and Buick.

A few days before Whitacre’s comments, word came that GM is working on a new pickup being developed by the automaker’s subsidiary in Brazil.

Karl Stracke, vice president of global vehicle engineering, told Automotive News’ editors and reporters that it is a mid-sized pickup. The vehicle will be sold outside of North America.

There’s also is a media report that GM has revived a program to develop a rear-drive sedan for Chevrolet. No, it won’t be a civilian version of the upcoming Chevrolet Caprice police car, which is assembled in Australia. It sounds as if the new Chevy will be the spiritual successor to the well-praised Pontiac G8 GXP. In fact, it will be about the same size.

The good news is that the government hasn’t handcuffed GM’s product planners. Some appealing new products are on the horizon.

Read more: http://www.autonews.com/article/20100924/BLOG06/100929892/-1#ixzz10pKEcAiK

I hope many will read this thread.

We all hope so, but I have 2 question for you though Ninety-Eight. Was the G8 on a long wheel base or a short one? Do you think that When Teh new RWD Chevy for us civilians, will it be built here?

good to see them bringing back a minivan. It will probably be based on the Epsilion II platform.

as for the uplevel Cadillac and RWD Chevy Sedan and there will be a Buick version to slot inbetween

those two. Eiether the Minivan or the RWD trio will probably be assembled in Shreveport LA. after Colorado/Canyon

production ends. If they do decide to sell the midsize truck here it will probably be built in Mexico or somewhere else.

Minivan... that's great news!! My neighbor had another child in June and their other daughter is just about 5 now, and they recently purchased a new Honda Odessey minivan. That makes my wife jealous of course, because with our three kids we could benefit from a minivan of our own (I'd be happy to oblige if GM or even Ford offered one today). Let's hope it doesn't take GM forever to bring it to market, this is something that should be ready for 2012 the latest. And while Chevrolet & Buick are the presumed brands (of course we know that Chevy is locked in), I'd vote for GMC instead of Buick to offer the people hauler, especially since Buick is slated to receive a baby Enclave in addition to keeping the Enclave (how many people haulers does Buick need???). Great news nonetheless.

Edited by GMTruckGuy74

We all hope so, but I have 2 question for you though Ninety-Eight. Was the G8 on a long wheel base or a short one? Do you think that When Teh new RWD Chevy for us civilians, will it be built here?

To answer your question The G8 was short wheelbase at a 196 inches long. The Commodore was a 192 inches long. The Caprice and former Statesman were long wheelbase.

I do not know about what and what will not be built here, but it seems that the Chevrolet short wheelbase will be imported from Holden.

Required reading by certain members of this board.

Don't worry I have read it. If this new "SS" really comes out in 2011 for the 2012 model year consider me sold. Unless of course I go the truck route. Then again I need to see it, because GM has toyed around with the Zeta for NA way too much. That is why I have selected a truck that will be around as a back up option!

Edited by gm4life

Well we all knew about the luxry car.

The Chevy GXP like car was something Lutz wanted and it keeps coming back. I felt Mark R was going to fight for this one any way he could. It is good to see it may make it even in small numbers.

I see the small truck we have seen spotted may make it here after all. The sooner they dump the mid size trucks the better. They are way past do on being replaced.

As for the mini van I think we all expected something. Now will they muck it up again? This one has to be right as there are too many other models fighting for a much smaller market. If GM had just got it right 25 years ago vs all the failed attempts. I hope they do well.

A minivan is needed, Honda sells about 100k Odysseys a year, that is still a big market. I see a lot of Ford Transits too, GM needs some sort of van that isn't a full size Express. Hopefully GM gets it right this time, their past history of minivans hasn't been too good.

Good to see rear wheel drive is still in the plans.

Look at the Chinese Buick mivivan for an idea of how the Buick minivan will look like.

http://www.worldcarfans.com/110053126569/-2011-buick-gl8-minivan-spied-in-china

It is interesting GM is ready to attack the minivan market again.

Yes I have seen these and the show cars in China. My first thought was too bad it did not beat the Honda to market since they showed the odd window dip first. Now many will thing GM is just copying.

They about have to have a entry but I wonder how well it will work out again. Lets face it most people by the Dodge or Honda and the rest feed on what is left of the market.

At least sharing a world platform will keep it from being a major burden on the North American market if it fails to win acceptance. The risk is spread out world wide.

Yes I have seen these and the show cars in China. My first thought was too bad it did not beat the Honda to market since they showed the odd window dip first. Now many will thing GM is just copying.

They about have to have a entry but I wonder how well it will work out again. Lets face it most people by the Dodge or Honda and the rest feed on what is left of the market.

At least sharing a world platform will keep it from being a major burden on the North American market if it fails to win acceptance. The risk is spread out world wide.

If that is what comes to Buick, yeah people will accuse them of copying. I know Dan Akerson said that he wanted GM to lead not be behind the curve. The minivans that are coming look so upscale and more like people movers than minivans.

If that is what comes to Buick, yeah people will accuse them of copying. I know Dan Akerson said that he wanted GM to lead not be behind the curve. The minivans that are coming look so upscale and more like people movers than minivans.

I agree.

This could be a gamble that pays off. At times I wonder if they would just be better off with a copy of the Caravan just better.

The Caravan is what people expect in this class and for the most they have been untouchable even with vans that smoke and rust out in 7 years. +

Minivans are one of my most unfavorite products but I also understand they need at least one product in this group in NA. It takes all models to make a successful company not just the ones enthusiast like.

I ponder the Chevy sedan. It must be the old updated Zeta and not the new Zeta light. I wonder if we will see the Middle East version pretty much unchanged accept for the needed NA changes. Which should do well.

Edited by hyperv6

I agree.

This could be a gamble that pays off. At times I wonder if they would just be better off with a copy of the Caravan just better.

The Caravan is what people expect in this class and for the most they have been untouchable even with vans that smoke and rust out in 7 years. +

Minivans are one of my most unfavorite products but I also understand they need at least one product in this group in NA. It takes all models to make a successful company not just the ones enthusiast like.

I ponder the Chevy sedan. It must be the old updated Zeta and not the new Zeta light. I wonder if we will see the Middle East version pretty much unchanged accept for the needed NA changes. Which should do well.

Volkswagen already did a version of the Caravan and it handled better among other things. I thought it was odd how GM just walked away from it as well as Ford too. As far as the sedan we do not know. I do not like one thing.. GM keeps dumping all these products in the Chevrolet. Cadillac needs the product it is getting. Buick needs select products.

I don't think Buick should get a minivan, then it would be $35,000 or more. There are already loads of 7-seaters in the $35-40,000 price range, but what about families that can't afford $40,000 for a new car? The Dodge Caravan is probably the only option right now, that is why it sells. GM has the Lambdas at the $29-45k range of the market, the minivan should be an affordable Chevy.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this