Sign in to follow this  
Mule Bakersdozen LS

Deep-sixed? Will Volvo kill the S60?

24 posts in this topic

http://www.autoweek.com/apps/pbcs.dll/arti...E/60313020/1024

Personally, I think the just-unveiled S80 should become S60, and have the S80 continue on D3, not as large necessarily as Five Hundred, but make it more an Audi A8 competitor (if that's sizewise what it competes with) and certainly bolder than any Volvo before certainly.

The S60 has its place in the line-up, competing against 3-series and the like. It's just not good enough, not to mention dated. The S60R is a looker inside and out, though... good deal, too.

Why not make a new S60 on the Mazda6 platform? All they'd have to do is Volvo-ize it: Add in some standard safety features, use the AWD from the MazdaSpeed6 standard, put the Volvo spin on the interior... heck, they could even transform the Mazda6 Wagon into the new V70! Seems like a very simple and cost-effective solution to me.

Why not make a new S60 on the Mazda6 platform? All they'd have to do is Volvo-ize it: Add in some standard safety features, use the AWD from the MazdaSpeed6 standard, put the Volvo spin on the interior... heck, they could even transform the Mazda6 Wagon into the new V70! Seems like a very simple and cost-effective solution to me.

I thought the Mazda6 was based on the S60...

It's a very interesting article. It seems that S40 will really be sitting on top of the 3-Series and S60... It also seems to be more of a marketing/naming problem than anything else. If the next S40 really grows into a footprint sitting on top the 3-Series, why not just call that the S60? It'll be an all new (next gen) car anyway. The article menitoned the C30 derived vehicles will include a sedan; call that the new S40, and the hatch variant C30.

Guest lance armstrong's Testicles

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

because Volvo is not a bunch of idiots

like you

I thought the Mazda6 was based on the S60...

It's my understanding that the S60 and S80 share a platform and the only cars* on The Mazda6 platform are the Ford triplets and, of course, the 6.

*Doesn't include crossovers such as the Edge.

It's my understanding that the S60 and S80 share a platform and the only cars* on The Mazda6 platform are the Ford triplets and, of course, the 6.

Yep. I think you're right.

the S60 is one of my favorite cars. to me its only major flaw is lack of leg room in the back. to me its perhaps one of the most comfortable cars on the road!

:angry: Volvo's are junk. They are nothing more than urban yuppie wheels for those who believe that a comparable GM car isn't good enough.

"Oh, I want a BMW"

"Oh, I must get a Mercedes"

" I don't buy American, I only buy German cars"

blah blah blah. If these morons had any common sense, they'd realize that a Pontiac G6 will get the job done and have better quality, reliability and style than some Euro piece of trash. I say, good luck to them. They deserve to have their Euro garbage brake, I ain't paying the bills :P

Also, Ford should rid themselves of this worthless pile of a brand. They SHOULD be working to sell people Fords, merc's and Lincolns' not Volvo's, not Jag's, Japcrap Mazda's or any other Non-Ford vehicle.

Would be nice if GM just wiped the floor with Ford once and for all though... :CG_all:

Dude. Jags rule* and Volvo is doing alot better than SAAB in the marketplace, though I still wouldn't want anything they make. I was very impressed with the S80 until a few years later their entire lineup looked like various sizes of S80.

I think Volvo's problem is that the S60 and S80 are too similar. Hell, it takes me a bit to tell them apart, even close up.

(*Except the X-Type)

current s60 is old. it needs to be new again.

the s60 now feels substantial where the 9-3 does not. The 9-3 clearly feels of its bargain car roots, but the s60 feels a step above. The s60 is about 3 steps above a G6.

I almost bought a used s60 last fall but didn't because the rear seat is far too small in terms of leg room.

Edited by regfootball

Yeah I sat in an S60 a year or two ago at the Auto Show, and if I remember correctly, the rear seat legroom was okay, and though the rear roofline went over my head (and not glass...cough....G6...cough...), it seemed a bit skimpy on rear headroom.

I don't know about this. The S60 and V70 are the direct spiritual descendants of the classic 240 and later 740/760 Volvos. Everything else Volvo makes is a side show, soul-wise. I guess if the S60 price point is kept it would be OK to just rationalize it into the S80. If not, this move seems foolish.

Yeah I sat in an S60 a year or two ago at the Auto Show, and if I remember correctly, the rear seat legroom was okay, and though the rear roofline went over my head (and not glass...cough....G6...cough...), it seemed a bit skimpy on rear headroom.

it's so odd because the S60 is as wide and comfortable as a true midsize like an Impala.

I like em wide, cars that is, just like my women.

Edited by regfootball

S60 and S80 also share a platform with the Five Hundred and Montego. I've also heard that the next-gen Mondeo might ride on a Volvo platform.

Also, Ford should rid themselves of this worthless pile of a brand. They SHOULD be working to sell people Fords, merc's and Lincolns' not Volvo's, not Jag's, Japcrap Mazda's or any other Non-Ford vehicle.

Yeah, get rid of Mazda and Volvo, the two brands with the best product offerings in the FoMoCo family. That makes a LOT of sense. Jag needs some work, and it sucks that it takes resources away from Lincoln, which has real promise, but Mercury was wandering aimlessly long before Jac Nasser went on his British spending spree.

:angry: Volvo's are junk. They are nothing more than urban yuppie wheels for those who believe that a comparable GM car isn't good enough.

"Oh, I want a BMW"

"Oh, I must get a Mercedes"

" I don't buy American, I only buy German cars"

blah blah blah. If these morons had any common sense, they'd realize that a Pontiac G6 will get the job done and have better quality, reliability and style than some Euro piece of trash. I say, good luck to them. They deserve to have their Euro garbage brake, I ain't paying the bills :P

Dude, I'm happy that you're voicing out for the G6, but this is really going a bit too far.

The G6 isn't a piece from heaven. And no WAY it will compare to a S60. They're not even in the same class.

Although I'll take a 9-3 over an S60 any day. Volvo lost its crown as being the safest,

which is its selling point over mediocre styling.

S60 and S80 also share a platform with the Five Hundred and Montego.  I've also heard that the next-gen Mondeo might ride on a Volvo platform. 

Yeah, get rid of Mazda and Volvo, the two brands with the best product offerings in the FoMoCo family.  That makes a LOT of sense.  Jag needs some work, and it sucks that it takes resources away from Lincoln, which has real promise, but Mercury was wandering aimlessly long before Jac Nasser went on his British spending spree.

Just think, that's 2 more brands taking sales away from GM. Besides, Ford should concentrate on selling the public Ford cars, not import garbage.

the s60 still looks great 5+ years into its iteration.

Jaguar has tons of petential. Ford just can't figure it out. They might have to bail.

Volvo needs to prosper.

Mercury should become the brand that sells Ford's Euro lineup.

Lincoln needs to become more distinct, but i think will not ever see its role realized.

Mazda is Ford hedging their bets to fight the other starch brands. Mazda is at least distinctive. But ford needs to infuse them with hp.

Edited by regfootball

the s60 still looks great 5+ years into its iteration.

Jaguar has tons of petential.  Ford just can't figure it out.  They might have to bail.

Volvo needs to prosper.

Lincoln needs to become more distinct, but i think will not ever see its role realized.

Mazda is Ford hedging their bets to fight the other starch brands.  Mazda is at least distinctive.  But ford needs to infuse them with hp.

Tht's a great idea for Mercury...they're kinda pointless in the US, aside from Ford's claim as a more feminine version of Ford. Lincoln needs help, but probably won't get the platforms and designs it deserves until Ford has some money to spend again. Mazdas are kewl...and I agee that some need more hp...like the 5...but look how much power the Mazdaspeed 6 and 3 have ^_^

Excellent idea. Just like the Saturn/Opel tie-in. It would instantly give Mercury a new image. And it wouldn't cost Ford much money since the design and engineering would already be paid for. They would just have to make sure that the Mercury cars met federal safety regulations. I think you're onto something here, Reg.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this