Oldsmobile Alero 1999-2004

If Baddabing were still around, we'd be hearing an earful right now. The Alero was much nicer than the Grand Am of the same vintage. Too bad we never got to see what a second generation Alero on Epsilon would be like. (Or maybe we just need to look at the G6 and squint.)

I really liked the Alero too. <shameless plug>I have an '02 GLS that I'm selling. </shameless plug> Mainly because I don't fit well in it. I've said many times I'd put the car up agains any accord or crapy...er camry. I thought it a stylish car without being too racy. And incredibly solid too, very well made. Nice car, sad to see it go. :( Mike Since I mentioned selling, is there somewhere on here where we can post For Sale stuff?

I loved my alero for the 18 months or so ive owned it, its a loaded 01 GLS that got for 9 grand after a 1 gradn crap trade. It had 20k miles on it then and ran great now it has 60k miles on it with nothing but oil changes a few sets of breaks despite the fact that I abuse the hell out of it. Brisk acceleration good handling and breaking are all pluses plus its a great looking car. Im looking to get rid of it now though as the suspension needs an overhaul if im going to hold ontoo this car because of city driving and I kinda want to move up since I have a good job, even while im in school i have a good job. Im probably going to lease a new 2007 CTS so that way I dont have to worry about the suspension getting screwed in the city. After college Ill buy again.

I really liked the Alero too.  <shameless plug>I have an '02 GLS that I'm selling. </shameless plug>  Mainly because I don't fit well in it.

I've said many times I'd put the car up agains any accord or crapy...er camry.  I thought it a stylish car without being too racy.  And incredibly solid too, very well made.

Nice car, sad to see it go.  :(
Mike
Since I mentioned selling, is there somewhere on here where we can post For Sale stuff?

[post="8331"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Welcome back DBeaSSt....

Too bad we never got to see what a second generation Alero on Epsilon would be like.  (Or maybe we just need to look at the G6 and squint.)

:rolleyes:
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
I think I love this thing more than the G6 concept B)

Yeah, I always liked the Olds Alero, too. For whatever reason, though, I always liked the sedan version better than the coupe...not sure why....

Cort, "Mr Road Trip" / soon2be ex-"Mr MC", 31swm/pig valve/pacer
MCfamily.models.HO.chdQB = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort/
MC Guide = http://www.chevyasylum.com/mcspotter/main.html
IL & area MCs = http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/imcog/
MC's future = http://www.projectmonte.com/petition/
"I'm fading away" ... Simple Plan ... 'Untitled'

I can't really say that I have anything bad to say about the car. It's a little small (why I'm selling) but I knew that before buying. The build quality is quite tight, narrow gaps, nothing rattling, etc. Mechanically, no problems what else is there to say? It would figure that just when GM get's a car right they discontinue it. See also the 91-96 B-Body for examples of this.

• 6 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

If Baddabing were still around, we'd be hearing an earful right now.  The Alero was much nicer than the Grand Am of the same vintage.  Too bad we never got to see what a second generation Alero on Epsilon would be like.  (Or maybe we just need to look at the G6 and squint.)

[post="8094"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Anyone remember the G6 Concept based Alero chop back in the Snitz boards?

Nice car. Don't put too many miles on it, it might be worth something one day.

[post="130358"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Don't waste your time - There are already people out there TRYING to sell them for a profit with like 100 miles...

Much better to enjoy the car :ohyeah: cruising down the road :thumbsup:

• 2 weeks later...
There's a Chevrolet dealer (use to be Chevy & Olds) that has four or five BRAND NEW Alero sedans available, including one Final 500 edition, all with less than 100 miles on the odometer. I wonder if they are being sold as NEW or USED? I'm curious - if any dealer still has remaining Olds stock at this point (two model years after the manufacturer ceased production), can they still be sold as NEW?

• 4 weeks later...
I have to say I'm surprised what good luck everyone has had with their Aleros. My wife had a 2000 Alero and it was embarrassing how poorly that car was put together. To say the interior plastics were cheap is an understatement. Fuel door never fit right, rear door leaked air like a wind tunnel, you couldn't keep a set of brakes on the car. At 72,000 miles, it blew a head gasket and the transmission started to go. :banghead: Having said this, the Alero, and the rest of Oldsmobile, had great styling at the end of their run. It's too bad that GM cheaped out on quality (maybe it got it right by your '04s?) However, GM provided Olds with some of the most idiotic marketing in memory and that killed it. I've lived all my life around Lansing and it hurt when they ended Olds.

• 5 months later...
Aleros seem to be quite popular with the young people in my area for on ereason or another. My friend John (whom I sometimes like to refer to as the first of two members of "The Fan Club" :wink:) has a white sedan.

The Alero was a cleaning looking, well designed car and we sold a lot of them; however, fit and finish was AWFUL. I once had a GM guy from the Ohawa plant show me the differences between the gaps and welds on the new (then) Impala and the Alero. The interior plastics looked okay, but fit was bad in some places. The front bumpers never fit right. They always looked lopsided when looked at from dead on. As is typical of GM (at the time anyway), the Alero was left to languish for 5 model years without any changes. I would suppose that GM had already decided to kill Oldsmobile by the time Alero hit the show rooms, but it is too bad because it is vehicles like the Alero that may have saved Olds. Ah, but I guess the manadarins in Detroit decided Saturn deserved the development money instead. As to a brand new vehicle with full warranty and only a 100 miles on it; of course, they would be sold as "new" vehicles. They have never been registered. Whomever buys them will be the first and original owner. The final selling price, however, may be more like a used car price, but there would still be an inherent value to the warranty and nearly zero miles. Just be leery of the brakes and battery. You'll probably have to replace both of those items in the first year.

Posted Image

It is a decent styling design. The wheel on the base loaner I had was overly fat, with the flat side, much like our G6 wheel. I had a problem with the foot area by the inner fender. Here in this photo you can see by the passenger carpet, that one side has more leg room than the other and it has an angle on the floor. Great if one leg is shorter than the other and you have a natural twist on that ankle........... :lol:

Cant remember any problems in the throttle foot area.......unlike another car I can think of.

The G6 coupe is the closest thing we got to the Alpha but it really pales once you get another good look at that Alpha doesnt it ?

Posted Image
Posted Image

• 1 month later...
Between my wife and I we have owned several Oldsmobiles, most notably my '72 442 which is one of my favorites of all of the cars I've owned. Several years ago we went to a car show to check out the then-current Intrigues when my wife fell in love with a Pontiac Aztek. We haven't had an Olds grace our driveway since then, and now, no new ones. Bummer. (Although the little Sunfire GT I have now has a Quad 4 in it. Olds power lives on!) I've often thought there should have been a '442' type of package applied to the Alero, as it has the best looking coupe styling applied to the N body. It would have been just a great package. If anyone else remembers, the Alero had (for a short time in MY 2000) the 5 speed manual tranny as an option behind the 3.4 V6. That's when I started dreaming about a new 442 based on the Alero, but alas, I'm in the wrong business to dream those dreams. Farewell Oldsmobile, it was great to know you... :thumbsup:

Yeah... they had some great cars... I think that is why I have enjoyed them and own two of them now. I was not a fan of the names the new Oldsmobiles had, but I liked the Bravada and the Aurora the most. I like Alero because it was value for the money. GM has nothing that fits me any longer. I am still a GM person and still support GM too. Many can say things should have been different with Oldsmobile. It well may have been.

I've often thought there should have been a '442' type of package applied to the Alero, as it has the best looking coupe styling applied to the N body.

[snapback]230793[/snapback]

There was, in concept form. It was powered by a 175hp version of the Ecotec and looked similar to the Intrigue 442...
Posted Image

Of course, there was the OSV Alero with the 3.5l Shortstar generating 245hp...
Posted Image

There was, in concept form. It was powered by a 175hp version of the Ecotec and looked similar to the Intrigue 442...
Posted Image

Of course, there was the OSV Alero with the 3.5l Shortstar generating 245hp...
Posted Image

[snapback]230930[/snapback]

Yeah, if after looking at that OSV Alero you don't feel a pang of desire...

... you are NOT a motorhead!

:P

thanks for reminding me of those.

nice cars, but i've said this before, there's a blue one that runs around my city's college that has chrome around almost every curve and opening, oh and PARK AVENUE PORTS on it's fenders. it's just over the top bad.