Sign in to follow this  
Variance

UAW tells workers stop vandalizing non-Ford cars

UAW tells workers to stop vandalizing non-Ford cars

Memo sent to workers at Kansas City assembly plant after reports of damage

Josee Valcourt / The Detroit News

A United Auto Workers official is warning workers to stop vandalizing non-Ford cars and trucks parked at the automaker's Kansas City Assembly plant, according to a leaflet posted online.

The reports of vandalism at Kansas City Assembly come as several Ford Motor Co. plants around the country are implementing new rules or enforcing ones that require workers who drive non-Ford vehicles to park in separate lots or farther away from the factory.

In the note to 5,100 workers in Kansas City who build Escape SUVs and F-150 pickups, UAW Local 249 President Jim Stoufer said Ford was cracking down on the vandalism.

"Respect other people's property as you would like yours to be respected," said Stoufer, who did not return telephone calls Monday. "The company will be watching for any destruction of vehicles and anyone caught damaging another vehicle will be terminated."

With Ford and General Motors Corp. struggling in North America and preparing to cut a combined 60,000 union jobs in the coming years, many workers say it's an insult to see foreign brands in their parking lots. Others contend they should be free to drive whatever they like to work.

Ford spokeswoman Anne Marie Gattari said she was unaware of vandalism at the plant and had not heard of anything similar happening at other factories.

In recent months, many Ford plants have started restricting parking privileges for employees driving non-Ford brands. At Ford's Dearborn Truck factory, for example, owners of non-Ford cars and trucks have to park their vehicles across the street from the plant.

But there have been no reports of vandalism at Dearborn Truck, said Jerry Sullivan, president of UAW Local 600 in Dearborn.

Rocky Comito, president of UAW Local 862 in Louisville, Ky., said parking restrictions may be imposed on non-Ford drivers at the Louisville Assembly plant.

"The company has talked about doing different things here but as for today and as for tomorrow, nothing has happened," said Comito, adding he has not heard of any vandalism in Louisville. "I hope nothing like that happens here."

Link: http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/artic...343/1148/AUTO01

---

I really hope they follow through on their promise to fire the asses of workers who destroy others property (I believe they should go a step further and get the police involved). Vandals suck. :angry:

REALLY intelligent...let's go vandalize the cars of people who don't happen to drive the same brand that is being built. Teamwork and a common ethic is one thing, but I'd fire a-holes like this on the spot as soon as I found out who was responsible.

Then again, there's probably something in the union contract that would prevent that EVER happening... ^_^ ...

You hear things like this and you wonder why people think so highly of union workers... :angry::banghead::duh:

Bet if someone smashed a truck, there would be heck to pay....

I'd imagine they are getting pretty frustrated with everyone in this country driving foreign cars. Maybe more foreign car drivers need to be harassed like all the harassment that SUV (mostly domestic) owners have been receiving. It's o.k. to burn H2's, but god forbid some Asian cars get defaced.

:pokeowned:

It's o.k. to burn H2's, but god forbid some Asian cars get defaced.

Well, for the record, that was also not okay, as evidenced by the vandals' subsequent arrest and imprisonment. I find it hillarious they torched SUVs, thereby releasing pollutants into the atmosphere as a byproduct of combustion. I think they lit up a doobie too many that night.

Vandalizing a car against a person is one thing, but vandalism against a car against that car is not right and is never excusable...unless its an Amanti. How can you not want to punch that thing?

Good news; they are. Pass the word.

I believe the implication was that they should be free to do that without fear of having their cars damaged.

I'd imagine they are getting pretty frustrated with everyone in this country driving foreign cars.  Maybe more foreign car drivers need to be harassed like all the harassment that SUV (mostly domestic) owners have been receiving.  It's o.k. to burn H2's, but god forbid some Asian cars get defaced.

:pokeowned:

They didn't even specify Asian cars...they said they want to crack down on the vandalism of all non-Ford vehicles including European, Asian, and non-Ford domestic cars.

Don't tell me you're in favor of destruction of personal property...

Edited by Variance

Variance= >>"I believe the implication was that they should be free to do that without fear of having their cars damaged."<<

...many workers say it's an insult to see foreign brands in their parking lots. Others contend they should be free to drive whatever they like to work.

IMO the implication of this passage is that they are not allowed to drive whatever they may own to work. Has been stated exactly the same way in earlier articles before incidences of vandilism had been reported. Not the case. Typical media work: poorly worded at best, misleading none the less. Edited by balthazar

They didn't even specify Asian cars...they said they want to crack down on the vandalism of all non-Ford vehicles including European, Asian, and non-Ford domestic cars.

Don't tell me you're in favor of destruction of personal property...

I guess maybe it depends if it will help save the economy or not. Since Asian vehicle owners have no idea how they are ruining the economy, they have no percieved reason not to buy an Asian car. Now, if they had to think twice about their decision...... :mr-t:

I work with idiots who only buy new Asian cars.....wouldn't even consider anything else.....and we are a Domestic Tier 1 automotive supplier, who is wondering why our business with GM, Chrysler, and Ford is slowly going away......and why we have to let a bunch of people go. If you don't support the products your customer makes......your customer might be around much longer to even be a customer.

Yep, immature on the workers part.  Things like this give ALL blue-collar UAW workers a bad image.

When I went to GMI for college in Flint, Michigan, this kind of thing happened ALL the times to students' import cars parked in the GMI parking garage that we SHARED with the GM plant workers from across the street.

The REALLY unfortunate part of this is that many of those students driving imported cars were from other parts of the country....with no ties to the automotive industry at all......GMI, at that time, was not anymore exclusively tied to GM (UPS was the second-largest sponser of student work programs at GMI.)

:thumbsup: Good, serves the idiots right for not buying Domestic. maybe the word will get out that if you buy something other than GM, Ford of Chrysler, you'll pay the consequences. This is America, Foriegn brands don't belong here, never have, never will. It's time our fellow Americans realize that. 8)

:thumbsup:  Good, serves the idiots right for not buying Domestic. maybe the word will get out that if you buy something other than GM, Ford of Chrysler, you'll pay the consequences. This is America, Foriegn brands don't belong here, never have, never will. It's time our fellow Americans realize that. 8)

I'm sorry, I don't agree with that in the least.

People who destroy other people's property are scum and anybody who advocates this kind of behavior is just plain stupid. You think damaging someone's car is going to endear them to your brand? I'm betting they'll want nothing to do with them.

I like GM but I'm not an embracer of the "US vs. Them/Closed Border" mentality. As Americans, we have the right to do as we wish (within the law, of course) and we should be able to do so freely and without persecution. Also, as Americans, we don't have the right to dictate to other Americans what to do with their money (especially with vandalism or violence).

Senseless destruction solves nothing.

Edited by Variance

I'm not advocating destruction of private property, but the scare of knowing that if you screw up and buy a non domestic, you run the risk of serious backlash may be a wakup call to these import buying communists.

Buy American, buy domestic, that is why you live in this country so support it, damnit. Or get out.

Or buy an inferior import. And good luck ya! Not my fault if your a blind moron.

Edited by Domesticated

I'm not advocating destruction of private property, but the scare of knowing that if you screw up and buy a non domestic, you run the risk of serious backlash may be a wakup call to these import buying communists.

Buy American, buy domestic, that is why you live in this country so support it, damnit. Or get out.

Or buy an inferior import. And good luck ya! Not my fault if your a blind moron.

Import buyers are not communists. That word gets misused so often it's not even funny. Nor are they idiots (provided they make an informed decision).

In fact, your "buy American or else" mentality is more in line with fascism, to be honest.

i'm up for another anti-japanese rally! :pokeowned:

i'll be front and square with my suit and tie on trying to flip those toyotas over...

but if your vandilism is at a fast enough pace, insurance rates would climb quickly on import brands... making them less competative to own...

vandilism doesnt have to be physical, look at consumer reports...

several Ford Motor Co. plants around the country are implementing new rules or enforcing ones that require workers who drive non-Ford vehicles to park in separate lots or farther away from the factory.

That's f'ing rediculous.

Import buyers are not communists. That word gets misused so often it's not even funny. Nor are they idiots (provided they make an informed decision).

In fact, your "buy American or else" mentality is more in line with fascism, to be honest.

Actually this is a GM site right? :huh: So shouldn't I have the right to insult the non GM fans? Aren't you a GM fan Variance? Then you should understand where I am coming from. I live in N.E. one of the most import friendly areas in the country. I see import cars all day long and I just shake my head at the stupidity that exists here. These Naive morons have no right to be driving their little tin cans on my roads. Wouldn't want them to ding my new G6 with there BlowMyWad 3 series.

That's OK, they couldn't catch me anyways. I can out accelerate, outhandle and pretty much smoke their Nazi ass anyways. :lol:

Edited by Domesticated

That's OK, they couldn't catch me anyways. I can out accelerate, outhandle and pretty much smoke their Nazi ass anyways. :lol:

With your FWD family sedan? :P

Actually this is a GM site right? :huh:  So shouldn't I have the right to insult the non GM fans? Aren't you a GM fan Variance? Then you should understand where I am coming from. I live in N.E. one of the most import friendly areas in the country. I see import cars all day long and I just shake my head at the stupidity that exists here. These Naive morons have no right to be driving their little tin cans on my roads. Wouldn't want them to ding my new G6 with there BlowMyWad 3 series.

I like the new guy! :thumbsup:

I like the new guy! :thumbsup:

Thanks man, I've been lurking on the site for months. I just finally got the confidence to start posting. :CG_all:

Actually this is a GM site right? :huh:  So shouldn't I have the right to insult the non GM fans?

I never said don't or you can't insult them. I'm more in disagreement with the way you're criticizing them. Communists? Nazis? You don't think that a wee bit over the top? :huh:

Aren't you a GM fan Variance? Then you should understand where I am coming from. I live in N.E. one of the most import friendly areas in the country. I see import cars all day long and I just shake my head at the stupidity that exists here. These Naive morons have no right to be driving their little tin cans on my roads. Wouldn't want them to ding my new G6 with there BlowMyWad 3 series.

I am and I live in the northeast myself. I know how plentiful the import cars are here. However, I hold no ill will towards them or their drivers. I don't know what motivating factors each driver on the road had in buying their vehicle but I'd like to think they give the domestics an even shot though I know that's not the casr in some instances. You don't have to despise imports to be a GM fan.

Edited by Variance

You don't have to despise imports to be a GM fan.

Hahaha I do. :P It's GM or nothing for me. Anyone who disses the General gets a dope slap. Anyone who doesn't drive a GM car is a Blind scumbag.

Good luck to them. Hope their car payment is worth the price for being a moron. :lol:

Yep, immature on the workers part.  Things like this give ALL blue-collar UAW workers a bad image.

Well, hate to break it to this board, but this is the general mentality of union workers. All union worker are, are cavemen who happened to get to the year 2006.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

About us

CheersandGears.com - Founded 2001

We  Cars

Get in touch

Follow us

Recent tweets

facebook